WinBoard, exotic version

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Re: WinBoard, exotic version

Post by Daniel Shawul »

4p1pp1/PPppPpP1p/1PpPPP1Pp/P1P4PP/8p/2p6/2P1p4/9/9 b - - 27 14

In this position NebiyuGo plays P@a7. That is illegal, isn't it? To be surrounded after your move.
Ok I will look into it.
Multi-moves were sent incorrectly to the engine after entering by the user. I fixed that now, and I could play a checkers game against Nebiyu, including a double-capture. I don't fully seem to understand the rules, though. One is not alloed to capture backwards, and the Queens do not move as Bishops?
Thats how real checkers is played , time to get used to it :) Well I will start making new variant branches for the checkers super-variant too ..
Playing Go also seems to work, although Nebiyu plays like an absolute moron. I never played Go before, but even I can see that itdrops in places where it is absolutely doomed...
Easy.. you should be glad it makes moves at all :) There is an odd-even issue that I haven't fixed yet. Btw I still haven't got around to resizing the winboard. Can you give the command line I should use?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I put the following engine line in the winboard.ini file (using the Engine -> Install 1st menu 8-) ):

nebiyuGo /fd=..\Nebiyu /variant=go /boardWidth=9 /boardHeight=9 /pieceToCharTable "P.....p....." /dropMenu true
hgm

Post by hgm »

Oh, I see that my attempts to set the /pieceToCharTable above are useless, as the engine overrules it with its setup command.

But unfortunately, NebiyuGo gives the wrong pieceToCharTable: it still has the Queens defined. This was needed for Chekers, but not for Go. And having a second piece defined in there does prevent one-clivk dropping.

So please change that!
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Yes I changed that and right clicking now drops the stones inside the square. However the Go engine seems to have a lot of problems crashing here and ther so I am debugging that now. How do you display the xiangqui like Go board. Mine is a 9x9 normal chess board now.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Add the options

Code: Select all

/liteBackTextureFile="textures/goboard.bmp"
/darkBackTextureFile="textures/goboard.bmp"
/liteBackTextureMode=1
/darkBackTextureMode=1
You would need a goboard.bmp file, though. I posted mine on http://hgm.nubati.net/goboard.bmp . It is bigger than the zipped winboard.exe! :shock:
jwes

Post by jwes »

hgm wrote:Add the options

Code: Select all

/liteBackTextureFile="textures/goboard.bmp"
/darkBackTextureFile="textures/goboard.bmp"
/liteBackTextureMode=1
/darkBackTextureMode=1
You would need a goboard.bmp file, though. I posted mine on http://hgm.nubati.net/goboard.bmp . It is bigger than the zipped winboard.exe! :shock:
You should think about implementing png images. I think there is a libpng with a compatible licence. It would make the image about 60x smaller.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Now it plays a little smarter than before. I also fixed a couple of bugs that hung and crush it sometimes.
Question : how to take care of "pass" moves ? We haven't taked about them before. At the end of game of reversi and go, when both players pass game is over. So how do we communicate that ?

Also there was a bug with the checkers engine, which allowed non-captures to be generated when there were captures :shock:
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I am temporarily using the string "pass" to represent a passing move.

Additional notes.
- In reversi Winboard doesn't properly invert the pieces when it is making its moves.

- When we changed '-' to ',' something is broken with double moves and also queening too. Only a single move is sent in case of multi moves.

- I think the Go engine is now without bugs playing many games until one of the engines reaches a pass.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

The reversi display problem is for the diagonal flips only.
hgm

Post by hgm »

There are no diagonal flips in Reversi, are there? :shock: