Tippy Chess error messages

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Tippy Chess error messages

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello,

Tippy Chess http://www.tippychess.com won´t run with Windows XP SP3 32-bit on my computer because the executable files show an error message like this:

TippyChess FWT: SleepConditionVariableSRW is missing > kernel32.dll
TippyChess 2011a: ReleaseSRWLockExclusive is missing > kernel32.dll

Who of you made the same experiences with Windows XP or Vista?

Best wishes,
Norbert
UncombedCoconut

Re: Tippy Chess error messages

Post by UncombedCoconut »

The error messages indicate that the program uses a feature ("slim reader/writeer locks") first introduced in Windows Vista.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Hello,

Tippy Chess http://www.tippychess.com won´t run with Windows XP SP3 32-bit on my computer because the executable files show an error message like this:

TippyChess FWT: SleepConditionVariableSRW is missing > kernel32.dll
TippyChess 2011a: ReleaseSRWLockExclusive is missing > kernel32.dll

Who of you made the same experiences with Windows XP or Vista?

Best wishes,
Norbert
A poorly tweaked Stockfish ?
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:A poorly tweaked Stockfish ?
Hah, that hadn't clicked. It definitely is. I can't run it, but I ran "strings 'Tippy Chess FWT.exe'" and saw Stockfish's bench positions, usage string, and UCI options. And of course a replaced author string. :roll: The author may have gutted the eval though. In any case it must be a GPL violation and it looks dishonest.
[E: I see there's more info at the Winboard forum. "Inspired by", my ass...]
stevenaaus

Long live the ....

Post by stevenaaus »

The GPL needs a real enforcement agency / sheriff. Someone who'll really hurt those who break the license. I don't feel malice to too many things, but in many ways the GPL is responsible for the whole openess of our internet, and i fairly despise people who abuse it.

I know i'm being a bit loose here, and without proper explanations, but imho each of these things wouldn't exist without the one before it.

Free Internet <- Firefox + Apache <- Linux <- Bash/Gcc <- GPL

Even great projects like FreeBSD are highjacked by corporates (Apple), and come to some sort of dead end (though in this case a very positive and vibrant dead-end). The principles of the GPL are simple. It's free, and it always will be free.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Long live the ....

Post by hgm »

That agency exists. It is called the "Free Software Foundation", and they sue people and organizations that infringe the GPL. They can only do it when they own the copyrights of the software, though.

Unfortunately sueing people is expensive, and they need lots of donations. Keeping free software free is unfortunately not free... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

UncombedCoconut wrote: I see there's more info at the Winboard forum. "Inspired by", my ass...
I have already express my comments:

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... =2&t=51459

I would like only to add that two things seem to me incredibly idiotic:

1) To do not release sources of a tweaked SF

2) To change author strings even not adding but _replacing_ real authors with someone's name

I am wondering if it is more stupid the first or the second...well.. perhaps the second but not by much...the first is simply dishonest..but the second is really stupid.