Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
hgm wrote: I don't understand the fuss. What Fabien _believes_ is of zero and void relevance, isn't it? The Strelka code is pubic. The Fruit code is public. Everyone that can read can _see_ if one is derived from the other, and if that is a copyright violation or not. Or is everyoone here a complete dyslectic, all worshippers of Fabien as the only person in this Universe that knows how to read? :shock:
The issue is, Vasik could (I'm not saying he is!) violate the GPL all he wants, if the alledged original copyright holder doesn't care, nothing can possibily ever happen.

But it seems the original copyright holder DOES CARE. What he believes certainly matters; it's the only way something can happen on the legal front.
And Vasik said at the time being that he had contacted him,the author of Fruit,and he's alright with the whole case....
What a pathetic liar he is....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Robert Flesher wrote:The man is a liar, why can't people see this?
Well, being a liar is not illegal, when you are not given evidence in court. To be a successful lawyer / businessman / politician lying is an indispensable skill. At some point, you have the choice between being a liar or a moron. Do you really expect him to say, when he has a 150 Elo lead over all competition, who are desperate to catch up: " O yeah, Ryba is exactly like Fruit, except for an added King safety term and twice faster because it uses bitboards". How long do you think it would have taken the competition to close that 150 Elo gap,in that case? One week? Two,perhaps?

Of course he lies. That just shows he is no idiot.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rbarreira wrote:Am I to believe that a professional developer loses the sources of all the previous versions? No version control to keep old versions? No backups, nothing?

I don't really care about the Clone Wars, but as a developer it's amusing to see claims like these, which are either lies or just pure stupidity.
Naturally borned liar....which is a subform of pure stupidity as in the end he'll be caught and it's happening right now before the whole computer chess community....
Along with that Rybka is sinking to the 3rd or 4th place in the rating lists so for uncle Vasik it's
basicly all over regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Xann

Post by Xann »

Houdini wrote: Is there a particular reason for Fabien not posting this message himself?
Yes, I couldn't log in until now.

Fabien.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:
Well, being a liar is not illegal, when you are not given evidence in court. To be a successful lawyer / businessman / politician lying is an indispensable skill. At some point, you have the choice between being a liar or a moron. Do you really expect him to say, when he has a 150 Elo lead over all competition, who are desperate to catch up: " O yeah, Ryba is exactly like Fruit, except for an added King safety term and twice faster because it uses bitboards". How long do you think it would have taken the competition to close that 150 Elo gap,in that case? One week? Two,perhaps?

There are lies and then there are lies....
I for myself lie to the patients a lot when their condition is serious and I react honestly only with their relatives....

But I don't lie to gain material benifits....not yet at least....

Mr.Rajlich is a crook and it's an undisputed fact now....

You can sense that most of Rybka fanboys has tacked tail and run after publishing this material by Tord....
Dr.D
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Xann wrote:
Houdini wrote: Is there a particular reason for Fabien not posting this message himself?

Fabien.
*accueille Fabien par une vibrante marseillaise jouée à la guimbarde*
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Xann wrote:

Fabien.
Welcome Fabien and let me take the opportunity to thank one of the most talented and honest computer chess authors who had revolutionized our whole concept of chess playing entity :D
Dr.D
Xann

Post by Xann »

alpha123 wrote:Well this is interesting. Thanks Tord.

It sounds like Fabien believes Rybka has Fruit parts. Possibly a GPL violation. Who is the current copyright owner of Fruit 2.1? At one point I heard it was the FSF, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to go after the non-Free Rybka.... :P

Peter
I confirm: the FSF owns Fruit 2.1
They are preparing a GNU Chess 6 release which includes Fruit 2.1 and PolyGlot for xboard compatibility (all in a single program).

Fabien.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Xann wrote:
alpha123 wrote:Well this is interesting. Thanks Tord.

It sounds like Fabien believes Rybka has Fruit parts. Possibly a GPL violation. Who is the current copyright owner of Fruit 2.1? At one point I heard it was the FSF, and I'm sure they would be more than happy to go after the non-Free Rybka.... :P

Peter
I confirm: the FSF owns Fruit 2.1
They are preparing a GNU Chess 6 release which includes Fruit 2.1 and PolyGlot for xboard compatibility (all in a single program).

Fabien.
Great news :D
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

hgm wrote:

The problem with this line of thinking is there is no accountability. Shall we then seek to approve of unethical actions with, " the end justifies the means" ideology? Well of course not, but then sidestep my point. I merely pointed out that Vas gave two interviews, and in the second he only spoke the truth when his lies were uncovered.