Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Fabien,

at first:
The community need you!

You can see we don't forget what you do "for all of us".
This is much more important for the most of us as to make money!

Welcome back!
Hope that much other great programmers we lost in the latest years will follow!

Best
Frank
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
slobo wrote:Sylwy,

you should not laugh at him. Perhaps he suffers from dyslexia and in this case we shouldn´t expose him to ridicule because of it.
The clowning of you two guys always reminds me of that Bee Gees song, "I started a joke" ...
I hope you are not "accusing" us of violation of your HGM license.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Albert Silver wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:Well, it looks like I am going to have to delete Rybka 3 and Rybka 4 from my computer. I am not being facetious either.

On principle I have stayed away from the Ipps and Houdini and now to stay principled I am not going to be able to continue using Rybka.

Makes me sad, but that is the way it is.

(it actually makes me a little angry as well since I paid for Rybka...I wonder if I can get my money back?)
I don't agree. Even in a worst case scenario, where there is incontrovertible proof of wrong-doing, the buyer who acted in good faith is never legally or ethically liable.

Suppose, for example, that Intel is proven today to have ignored patents owned by some guy on key components in the CPU you have in your machine. Is your only ethically correct course to remove the CPU and toss it out the window? Of course not. The guy (in this hypothetical situation) can sue and get his due and that is that. Whatever money you the buyer spent that went to the wrong person would be redirected via the legal system. This burden of responsibility assuredly does not fall upon the buyer.

Well a CPU is a much more high dollar investment and therefore it is rarer for things to get THAT far because of all the money involved.
You should read the tech news more often. It happens ALL the time and still does. Microsoft, Intel, nVidia, and others are constantly being sued for exactly these reasons and have been found guilty and forced to pay up.
Listen. It has been my own personal policy not to use any of the suspicious engines. And now Rybka seems to have committed the same actions. How could I possible NOT delete Rybka? How can Rybka be allowed in tournaments and the others not?

Now it seems Rybka should not have been allowed either. I can not say one thing and yet do another. Maybe you should read the tech news less??
Xann

Post by Xann »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:First thing came to my thoughts after reading the article is a huge lie Vasik was spreading through all these years....that he,Vasik,contacted Fabien regarding the fruit-Rybka affair and Fabien is fine with it and even doesn't care which as I wrote turned out to be a huge lie....
Dr.D
I confirm: no contact with Vasik.
I would like to have a pointer too.

Thanks,

Fabien.
Xann

Post by Xann »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Yes Graham, the World is broken ...
For so many computer chess fans ... not for you alone.

But this one must not be the end.
More or less the computer chess chronicle will start now with the year 0. I think the first step to make so many things better ...

Yes, time to start with 0.
The evolution after the questions of compatibilities with engine protocols started now!

And I hope with Fabien and much others with gave us the important basic approachs and be able to develops new "open" ideas.

A lot of real persons which working for this hobby are more or less in background activ. Persons which try to stand in the foreground should be more questioned.

And persons which try to rule have other things in his brain. It's not only money! More acknowledgement / acceptance. Can't understand such things because the community isn't big enough "at the moment".
Frank,

Nice to see you again!

Brings back bad memories, doesn't it?
Only in a bigger scale.

We are in sync here.
This is year 0, time to move on.

Fabien.
Xann

Post by Xann »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:For the others:

Interview with Tord Romstad:
http://www.schach-welt.de/interviews/ro ... talba-engl

And an interesting interview (I believe I made it around 2005) with Fabien can be found on Arena webpage. Read this one a bit between the lines.
Thanks so much for this link!
Please tell me by email what you read between the lines :)

Thanks,

Fabien.
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:The man is a liar, why can't people see this?
Well, being a liar is not illegal, when you are not given evidence in court. To be a successful lawyer / businessman / politician lying is an indispensable skill. At some point, you have the choice between being a liar or a moron. (...)
Of course he lies. That just shows he is no idiot.
Your logic is definitely flawed. The correct should be:
At some point, you have the choice between being a liar or a no-liar. (...)
Of course he lies. That just shows he is not honest.
Xann

Post by Xann »

Robert Flesher wrote:One question for Fabien, where is chess64 ? :wink: kidding...
Chess-64 aka Rock is property of Ryan Benitez.
Unfortunately it seems I managed to break the SMP code while changing something else.
Because of this, Ryan probably cannot use the code for now.

Fabien.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Xann wrote:I confirm: the FSF owns Fruit 2.1
They are preparing a GNU Chess 6 release which includes Fruit 2.1 and PolyGlot for xboard compatibility (all in a single program).

Fabien.
That is really funny, because it would mean WinBoard will be distributed with GNU Chess after all. Because now I am distributing it with Fruit 2.1! :lol:

I hope for sure that they will distribute it with a Polyglot version that is compatible with the new XBoard protocol, and not one that would break all the functions for setting the engine options from the XBoard menus.

Who do I contact about this?
slobo

Post by slobo »

SzG wrote:I am lost in this avalanche of post so I must ask someone to enlighten me: if all Fabien saw was his own code and the Strelka code, how is he to know what was the way Rybka was made? He has only the same two source codes at his disposal which have been there for studying for more than 3 years.
So what is new here that makes some posters think Rybka is illegal?
You are confused. Mr Rybka and Fabien are disputing Strelka´s code.