Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

SzG wrote:I am lost in this avalanche of post so I must ask someone to enlighten me: if all Fabien saw was his own code and the Strelka code, how is he to know what was the way Rybka was made?
Does the fact that Vas claimed Strelka is a Rybka clone answer your question ? He even stopped ChessOK (or Convekta ?) from marketing Strelka.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Damn,this thread is taking over mine related to the match against Excalibur Ivan II in terms of popularity :lol:

:wink:
The server might be crashing soon! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by SchachProfi »

Graham buddy, you can already starting to download Houdini, IvanHoe and the others... they will be legalized soon :twisted:
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

SzG wrote:
Laskos wrote: Now, if Strelka is Fruit 2.1 derivative, as Fabien implies, then...
You see, if I were a chess programmer and I had 3 years to compare Strelka with Fruit 2.1 then I would not have had to wait for Fabien to reach the same conclusion as Fabien implies.

Are there no chess programmers here?
Sir, did you not read:
Xann wrote:
bob wrote:Of course, this is nothing new to those of us that looked and listened in the first place...
Bob,

We never really met, so, nice to meet you!
I am sorry that many people apparently did not listen to you.

Fabien.
Rob O. / Watchman
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

SzG wrote:I am lost in this avalanche of post so I must ask someone to enlighten me: if all Fabien saw was his own code and the Strelka code, how is he to know what was the way Rybka was made? He has only the same two source codes at his disposal which have been there for studying for more than 3 years.
So what is new here that makes some posters think Rybka is illegal?
The same principle goes for Houdini. If Houdini has some code similar to robbolito then who is to say that the code in question is from Rybka?

My point is that if Rybka is allowed to be on rating lists and enter tournaments then Houdini should be too.

Also Fabien made a great point, he pointed out it is possible to rewrite/translate code to have the exact same algorithm without exactly copying and pasting. Thus those who argued against Houdini because it had similar output to robbolito in some positions still doesn't prove Houdini just copied and pasted. Even if Houdini did use copy and paste on some code then it is still in the clear since it didn't violate any GPL or it can't be proven that the code that is copied and pasted is from Rybka.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

SzG wrote:
Laskos wrote: Now, if Strelka is Fruit 2.1 derivative, as Fabien implies, then...
You see, if I were a chess programmer and I had 3 years to compare Strelka with Fruit 2.1 then I would not have had to wait for Fabien to reach the same conclusion as Fabien implies.

Are there no chess programmers here?
There are many, actually. Some of them did claim the same, but if for Fabien it was ok...

If not? :lol:
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Xann wrote:
bob wrote:Of course, this is nothing new to those of us that looked and listened in the first place...
Bob,

We never really met, so, nice to meet you!
I am sorry that many people apparently did not listen to you.

Fabien.

Thanks, Fabien !

These your words have the power to end years of flame wars in this chess community.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
slobo

Post by slobo »

SchachProfi wrote:Graham buddy, you can already starting to download Houdini, IvanHoe and the others... they will be legalized soon :twisted:

oh !
:D :D :D :D
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

hgm wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:The man is a liar, why can't people see this?
Well, being a liar is not illegal, when you are not given evidence in court. To be a successful lawyer / businessman / politician lying is an indispensable skill. At some point, you have the choice between being a liar or a moron. Do you really expect him to say, when he has a 150 Elo lead over all competition, who are desperate to catch up: " O yeah, Ryba is exactly like Fruit, except for an added King safety term and twice faster because it uses bitboards". How long do you think it would have taken the competition to close that 150 Elo gap,in that case? One week? Two,perhaps?

Of course he lies. That just shows he is no idiot.

H.G.!

I hope you know that you just lost all of your lawyer friends. Prepare to be sued!

:-)

Later.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Xann wrote:
Houdini wrote: Is there a particular reason for Fabien not posting this message himself?
Yes, I couldn't log in until now.

Fabien.

Hello Fabien,

You will not remember our association but it has been a while since those days with testing Fruit ideas with Ryan.

All the best in life.

Thanks for Fruit and that genius of a program - Polyglot which has not killed Winboard but made it even better than ever.

:-)

Later.
Last edited by Roger Brown on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.