Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Solution

Post by bob »

stevenaaus wrote:Hmmm... Please stop bickering about things that will (in all likelihood) never be resolved.

The only positive actions are to cease the whole blame game, and accept Houdini and at least one Ippolit engine as valid engines for testing.
So derivative works are OK??? Do you think Matt Reilly would be OK with someone selling a new book "area 52" that is a 99% copy of his bestseller?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Solution

Post by hgm »

Well, it is clear that there are quite a few people that are monomanic about nclusion of Houdini in the CCRL testing.

"Rybka a derivative of Fruit? Then you must test Houdini!"
"Stockfish surpasses Rybka? Then you must test Houdini!"
"Your neigbor's dog crapped at your doorstep? Then you must test Houdini!"

Etc, etc.
Alexander Schmidt

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:VR used Fruit code. Noone who looked at the facts can disagree.
Wrong. Fabien just wrote he disagreed. "Reading" or "re-writing" is not "using" code in the normal meaning of the word.
Takeing the code, and changeing it is a GPL violation. Thats what happened. There is no other explenation for similaries in non-chess-playing-related-parts like the UCI communication, error messages, crashes.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

bob wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Somehow I feel I understand the post differently than others. It seems like Fabien is "asking" about several allegations and wants to be up to date on what the allegations are ... nothing I read says anything about confirming anything..........
This is also how I see it at this stage.
Fabien is asking for further information and will then need time to study what is required before he can make some definitive statements on the issue.
I think it's great that Fabien has chosen to get involved and I sincerely hope that Vas will have his say too (if required).
Vasik will remain silent like a butt as he always do....
The good thing is that the whole chess community will finally recognize him as a fat liar....
Dr.D
I would not be so sure. I am certain that some will now claim that Fabien is "in on the conspiracy" as well... This is an unwinable argument for some.
But Fabien is the original source and he can prove or decline any issue related to the Rybka affair....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
wolfv

Post by wolfv »

Dear Gabor,

you seem to display an inordinate amount of skepticism regarding the state of affairs now. After "the father" of Fruit and all other suspected clones finally voiced his opinion and it's become finally clear that Rybka 1.0 at least stemmed from Fruit (and went commercial) you still seem not to get the point. And you lament the fact that there have been no complaints for three years, which is wrong: both Hyatt and Christophe Theron went out of their way trying to show that Rybka was a Fruit derivative, with Zach and BB presenting concrete evidence later.

I think that you are a very nice guy and would like you to wake up to the facts, please.

Best regards from the neighborhood.
----------

Djordje
frcha

Post by frcha »

Are there instances where GPL violation was successfully persecuted - where the code was not blatantly cut and paste but modified + new ideas injected in?

My take on this is that Vas is clearly dishonest about the origins of his engine - but whether its is legal or not -- its hard to say...

-- This too was the same issue with Ippolit of course - clearly dishonest but not necessarily illegal..
....and the wheel keeps turning...

Which is why I have had no problem testing ippolit , houdini on my machine -- I really don't have a clue whether it is legal or not ..

A rating list can have Rybka H and I with an asterisk next to them
*dubious/disputed origin
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

wolfv wrote:Dear Gabor,

you seem to display an inordinate amount of skepticism regarding the state of affairs now. After "the father" of Fruit and all other suspected clones finally voiced his opinion and it's become finally clear that Rybka 1.0 at least stemmed from Fruit (and went commercial) you still seem not to get the point. And you lament the fact that there have been no complaints for three years, which is wrong: both Hyatt and Christophe Theron went out of their way trying to show that Rybka was a Fruit derivative, with Zach and BB presenting concrete evidence later.

I think that you are a very nice guy and would like you to wake up to the facts, please.

Best regards from the neighborhood.
Fabien 'finally voiced' nothing yet. He just came here to collect informations and to start making up an opinion about Rybka.
No more no less... I am surprised what other people read in Fabiens message.

Guenther

P.S. Welcome back Fabien even it is no real comeback, but a cleanup
of the past.
noctiferus

Re: ......Any answer to this Mr Wael??

Post by noctiferus »

About Vas' statement of Fabien's agreement:

May be my memory fails, but was not in Vas' interview by Alan (also known as Banned For Life)?
Unfortunately I'm now unable to find the interview in the forum. Maybe somebody saved it...
wolfv

Post by wolfv »

Hi Guenther,

Fabien did voice his interest in the issue and also voiced his opinion that Strelka is definitely a Fruit clone. On the other hand we know that Rajlich said that Strelka is actually Rybka. For me that spells that Fabien did issue a straightforward message. Thus Fabien voiced his opinion, the way I read it.
----------

Djordje
wolfv

Post by wolfv »

[/quote] I don't understand the fuss. What Fabien _believes_ is of zero and void relevance, isn't it? The Strelka code is pubic. The Fruit code is public. Everyone that can read can _see_ if one is derived from the other, and if that is a copyright violation or not. Or is everyoone here a complete dyslectic, all worshippers of Fabien as the only person in this Universe that knows how to read? :shock:[/quote]

You seem to be dyslexic :-). First you say that the Fruit code is public, which is OK, but then you state that the Strelka code is pubic, which, at least to me, seems to be very loosely true :-) and hilarious. Joking aside, I simply can't believe that you really think that what Fabien believes is of zero relevance. However, coupled with your previous attitudinal problem ('he lies therefore he's not an idiot) --- you have disappointed me in a grand way. I don't really care about your messages anymore and I am definitely not dyslexic. You might as well say 'goodbye morality'. Nice Christian attitude, isn't it?

Ciao.
----------

Djordje