Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chan Rasjid

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Chan Rasjid »

bob wrote:
hgm wrote:
mwyoung wrote:The proof is the author of Fruit himself. "Fabien's open letter to the community". And Vas statement that he claimed that Strelka 2.0 is a clone of Rybka 1.0. This linked Fruit code with Rybka code.
Read it again, then. As many times as it needed to register. He says "legally 'there is no issue". Which means no GPL violation, i.e. no copying of code.

Now I understand of course you take Fabien for an idiot, so that you can ignoe what he writes completely, and just want to use the fact that he says anything at all as a good opprtunity to shoot off your mouth aganst those that you dislike.

But I take Fabien kind of seriously. "No copying of code, but a translation of the algorithm".

So 'poof' goes your 'proof'...
I think you are misinterpreting "translation". Certainly if I translate a book from German to English and sell it as my own, I'll run afoul of copyright laws pretty quickly if the English copy sells well.
This is where most are wrong and HGM right.

The idea of 'derived work' has never been tested yet in any court (internet). Most legal/technical experts interpret 'derived work' in GPL to only include 'copy and paste'. The notions about derived work accepted in general copyright laws do not apply in GPL.

Rasjid
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Roger Brown wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Speaking of view totals
this thread here in the CCC has 26929 views as i write
the same exact thread was posted in another forum at about the same time and it has a paltry 931 views as i write
now that's nearly a 30:1 ratio

this of course has nothing to do with the topic of the thread but i thought a bit of healthy chest pounding and struting ones stuff was in order

The Major leagues Regards
Steve

Hello Steve,

:-) :-)

Later.
View total ratios for the Major leagues V the Minor leagues(Single A ball) is now 31:1..as i write

50171/1610

You Cant Touch This Regards
Steve
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Adam Hair wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, Kai.

I've gotten that result with Strelka 2.0 and Rybka 1.0 Beta 2 several
times. That's why I believe Beta 2 may actually be a Conkie joke; it
may actually be Strelka.

I am also using sim03.exe. Also, I am using a diverse group of engines.
I only posted the results that were relevant to my question. It is part of
a preliminary set of tests that I have been running. I hope to present my
data in the near future.
Hi Adam, I am back here for a short time.
The measure in my case is normalized Euclidian. The average linkage distance between clusters s_i and s_j is
1/Norm(s_i)/Norm(s_j) * Sum(k) Sum(l) [distance(s_ik, s_jl)].

Good luck with your tests, maybe I find time to look at Beta 2, you made me curious.

Kai
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Chan Rasjid wrote:
bob wrote:
hgm wrote:
mwyoung wrote:The proof is the author of Fruit himself. "Fabien's open letter to the community". And Vas statement that he claimed that Strelka 2.0 is a clone of Rybka 1.0. This linked Fruit code with Rybka code.
Read it again, then. As many times as it needed to register. He says "legally 'there is no issue". Which means no GPL violation, i.e. no copying of code.

Now I understand of course you take Fabien for an idiot, so that you can ignoe what he writes completely, and just want to use the fact that he says anything at all as a good opprtunity to shoot off your mouth aganst those that you dislike.

But I take Fabien kind of seriously. "No copying of code, but a translation of the algorithm".

I think you are misinterpreting "translation". Certainly if I translate a book from German to English and sell it as my own, I'll run afoul of copyright laws pretty quickly if the English copy sells well.

The idea of 'derived work' has never been tested yet in any court (internet). Most legal/technical experts interpret 'derived work' in GPL to only include 'copy and paste'. The notions about derived work accepted in general copyright laws do not apply in GPL.

Rasjid
My goodness.... You may yet restore my belief in what only ever was a hobby. That is an impressive post. It is both factual and the truth. Kudos, and I mean that.

Chris
Chan Rasjid

Post by Chan Rasjid »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Chan Rasjid wrote:
bob wrote:
hgm wrote:

Rasjid
My goodness.... You may yet restore my belief in what only ever was a hobby. That is an impressive post. It is both factual and the truth. Kudos, and I mean that.

Chris
There is a 'common sense' reason why books and software cannot be compared. In books, the copyright is about the actual source. In software you keep the source secret (Bill Gates) and obfuscate it with a compiler and sell an 'obfuscated' product that corners the market. Stallman&Co created GPL to save us poor endusers.

Rasjid
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Chan Rasjid wrote:
bob wrote:
hgm wrote:

Rasjid
Computer chess is a unique community in that it has become very grey for reasons I do not understand. I feel that I am in the minority here but I would prefer the FSF clarify what is and is not legal and either shut Rybka down or clear Rybka of GPL violation accusations. I have no personal interest either way and find it unfortunate that this has become such a polarizing issue.
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

I'm going to abbreviate this as much as possible. These are all my opinions, not necessarily Gospel.

Rybka, in the current and/or some previous version. is now officially a clone of Fruit, rewritten or not, legally so or not.

Mr. Rajlich stating the he no longer has any of the earlier source codes (and implying that he knows of nobody on his team or elsewhere who has them) is a bunch of baloney, and it was probably done to try to cover his butt against possible lawsuits..

As usual, the good folks at Rybka will sweep this all under the rug.

As usual, CCRL and company will continue to allow Rybka to play and continue to ban the Ippolit series (because of payola, free copies of Rybka, Mr. Rajlich has photos of them sleeping with their sisters, whatever), thus proving that they can have it both ways, at least in their own private Idaho.

The Rybka hemorrhoid counters will continue to believe that Mr. Rajlich is the chess-programming version of Chuck Norris, and I imagine some expect a TV series in the near future, titles "Vasik: Czech Ranger", starring Mr. Rajlich, high-kicking the baddies and cleaning up Dodge.
----
Hi, xann. I haven't seen you since the IOS days and Turtle and company. Good to see you're alive and well.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tom Barrister wrote:.......private Idaho.......
Well at least you have one redeeming feature. You like the B52s. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Laskos wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, Kai.

I've gotten that result with Strelka 2.0 and Rybka 1.0 Beta 2 several
times. That's why I believe Beta 2 may actually be a Conkie joke; it
may actually be Strelka.

I am also using sim03.exe. Also, I am using a diverse group of engines.
I only posted the results that were relevant to my question. It is part of
a preliminary set of tests that I have been running. I hope to present my
data in the near future.
Hi Adam, I am back here for a short time.
The measure in my case is normalized Euclidian. The average linkage distance between clusters s_i and s_j is
1/Norm(s_i)/Norm(s_j) * Sum(k) Sum(l) [distance(s_ik, s_jl)].

Good luck with your tests, maybe I find time to look at Beta 2, you made me curious.

Kai
Thanks Kai.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Tom Barrister wrote:I'm going to abbreviate this as much as possible. These are all my opinions, not necessarily Gospel.

Rybka, in the current and/or some previous version. is now officially a clone of Fruit, rewritten or not, legally so or not.
It is clear that you do not know what is the meaning of a clone.

Rybka is clearly not a clone of fruit even if it is a derivative of fruit.
Rybka is clearly different than fruit and suggest different moves than fruit.

I am also not convinced that programmer of rybka(or strelka assuming it was close source) broke the GPL and it is clear that there is a disagreement about this question.

Some programmers like
H.G.Muller believe that it did not break the GPL because it is rewritten
and he is not the only programmer with that opinion.

It is clearly a grey area because there is a disagreement.
It is not the same as fruit-toga when everybody that I know agree that the programmers of toga had to release the source of toga(otherwise they are quilty).