Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by bob »

tmokonen wrote:I wonder if, after all of the forum verbiage over the years, someone actually bothered to get a hold of the FSF people.
That is what Fabien is looking at... Since he is the original author of Fruit, which started this "family" he is the right person to follow up if he chooses...
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
SzG wrote:I am lost in this avalanche of post so I must ask someone to enlighten me: if all Fabien saw was his own code and the Strelka code, how is he to know what was the way Rybka was made? He has only the same two source codes at his disposal which have been there for studying for more than 3 years.
So what is new here that makes some posters think Rybka is illegal?

I would imagine much to Bob's dismay, Rybka is here to stay. All I see is an interesting direction to an old worn out argument :roll:
Not _my_ dismay. Fabiens. To answer the question you replied to without answering anything, several have worked to disassemble Rybka 1 beta. That has been compared to fruit, and that's the current topic of the day. Strelka is, for the moment, irrelevant. It might turn out to be an illegal copy of an illegal copy, who knows what that would mean.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

bob wrote:
tmokonen wrote:I wonder if, after all of the forum verbiage over the years, someone actually bothered to get a hold of the FSF people.
That is what Fabien is looking at... Since he is the original author of Fruit, which started this "family" he is the right person to follow up if he chooses...
But does it necessarily have to be the copyright holder that initiates something with the FSF? I know that it is the most logical choice for Fabien to start the proceedings, but I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that anyone can contact the FSF with regards to GPL violations.
Milos

Post by Milos »

bob wrote:I have also seen where those public machines have been broken into, and files copied (including 100Ks of credit card numbers). IMAP won't help you one bit there...
It's rather simple.
Take all your programs zip it in a file (I seriously doubt there would be more than 100MB size in total) and encrypt with like AES256 and then send it to yourself on IMAP account (divide a file if necessary and test everything if it works).

I really don't see how that is unreliably or breakable or hackable (unless you lose the key, but that's another issue)...
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

or dropbox, up to 8 or 16 GB(with edu email account) free online storage, which is also available for linux, with a truecrypt encrypted file container.
bob

Post by bob »

tmokonen wrote:
bob wrote:
But does it necessarily have to be the copyright holder that initiates something with the FSF? I know that it is the most logical choice for Fabien to start the proceedings, but I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that anyone can contact the FSF with regards to GPL violations.
No, but I do not think the FSF is monitoring all software use and development, and probing into various binary executables to see if they infringe. And I doubt they have time to listen to every kook that claims an infringment. But the original author does carry a certain weight.

Yes, anyone can contact them. Whether they have the time or the interest to investigate is another issue, however...
bob

Post by bob »

Milos wrote:
bob wrote:I have also seen where those public machines have been broken into, and files copied (including 100Ks of credit card numbers). IMAP won't help you one bit there...
It's rather simple.
Take all your programs zip it in a file (I seriously doubt there would be more than 100MB size in total) and encrypt with like AES256 and then send it to yourself on IMAP account (divide a file if necessary and test everything if it works).

I really don't see how that is unreliably or breakable or hackable (unless you lose the key, but that's another issue)...
The issue is, "where is that file stored?" If it is on my office box, I have complete control, and my office machine has never been broken into. If it is on gmail, there is no guarantee of any such protection for privacy, which is a requirement for my email account due to FIRPA, HIPA and such. So gmail is out. And the machine in my office is the same machine where the program copies exist.

BTW, each version of Crafty is maybe a meg. There are thousands of intermediate versions, or gigabytes of data...
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

bob wrote:
Milos wrote:
bob wrote:I don't use free email machines. Non-secure and I have too many discussions about student grades and such. My email is on my office box for the same security reasons. The US FERPA (Family Educational Right to Privacy Act) is pretty onerous and requires reasonable protection for student discussions. gmail, yahoo, etc do not provide that.
OMG. I hope you've heard of IMAP???? :roll:
I have also seen where those public machines have been broken into, and files copied (including 100Ks of credit card numbers). IMAP won't help you one bit there...
Making an anonymous random-lettered account is about as secure as you're going to get with a webmail. For example, somebody might go looking for robert.hyatt @ yahoo.com, but it isn't likely that anybody will think of checking something like fgr_t34_t6sd @ yahoo.com, or even knowing it exists. Unless you've been keylogged, that's about as safe as you'll get, barring a Yahoo employee finding it and knowing who you are and what it is.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
geots

Post by geots »

bob wrote:
geots wrote:
SzG wrote:I am lost in this avalanche of post so I must ask someone to enlighten me: if all Fabien saw was his own code and the Strelka code, how is he to know what was the way Rybka was made? He has only the same two source codes at his disposal which have been there for studying for more than 3 years.
So what is new here that makes some posters think Rybka is illegal?

I would imagine much to Bob's dismay, Rybka is here to stay. All I see is an interesting direction to an old worn out argument :roll:
Not _my_ dismay. Fabiens. To answer the question you replied to without answering anything, several have worked to disassemble Rybka 1 beta. That has been compared to fruit, and that's the current topic of the day. Strelka is, for the moment, irrelevant. It might turn out to be an illegal copy of an illegal copy, who knows what that would mean.

Hi Bob- I"ll go along with you on that. You made perfect sense. Good answer. You got me there.

All the Best
geots

Post by geots »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
F. Bluemers wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
F. Bluemers wrote: Another post that doesn't help Fabien a ...,but after 63 pages of ... why not me too :lol:
Exactly......if you cant beat the crap.....join in but tread carefully.

My thoughts entirely.

How are you btw Fonzy?

:)
I'm fine but unfortunatly I picked up Dirt again,just could not resist...
:D
Nothing wrong with getting ones hands dirty once in a while......

:)

Dirts ok, but stay away from any pigs. You'll both get muddy, but the pig likes it :lol:

Hang in there