Fabien's open letter to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tom Barrister

Re: Fabien's open letter to the community

Post by Tom Barrister »

Rolf wrote:
As the saying goes, every pot finds a black cattle.
Something must have gone wrong at Babelfish.

I sometimes believe five or six of you have programmed bots to read certain threads and reply to each other.

The saying closest to what you may have wanted is "That's the pot calling the kettle black", meaning that somebody at fault is pointing a finger at somebody else who is at fault. but that probably wouldn't be what you meant.

Closest in our slang to what you probably had in mind might be something similar "Whatever floats your boat", meaning "Whatever you like" or "Whatever works for you".
Last edited by Tom Barrister on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Laskos wrote:
Rolf wrote:
:lol:

This must be a Neural Network output. Propositions seem to obey the grammatical rules, the syntax is there, but after several of them one loses the grasp on the meaning.

Kai
What I wrote means in American 'Horses of/for courses' or 'every Ted has his Jill', but I meant 'Pot - Kettle - black', but I admit that my computerchess expertise is bigger than the one for English idioms. :)
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Somebody interested in Juri:

I do not understand why it is about Vasik?
Fabien wrote only on the comparison of Fruit and Strelka. But about the Rybka he knows nothing. Very few people know exactly what is inside Rybka, and what it contains.
Of course, Vasik yelled out at one time that Strelka is a decompiled Rybka. If he did not do that, today there would be no questions asked from him. And it so happened that he punished himself.

As for Strelka ...
It was a project whose purpose was based on the Fruit to make the engine as close to Rybka. The goal was achieved, although not entirely.
But I could set another goal - to make the Fruit a Shredder. Certainly, I would have achieved that. And who today would be accused of cloning?
Juri, could you make Fruit a Cluster Rybka?

Kai
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

I think you are asking the wrong person.... :lol:
geots

Re: On principle CCRL will be removing all Rybka programs...

Post by geots »

I asked a question- who died and made you the brains at CCRL. If you are asleep, answer me. If you're dead- my apologies. CCRL removing all Rybka programs? Was that vote taken at CCRL and that is the group consensus? Its really hard to see who started this garbage- come on and answer me. I won't bite you- maybe
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rolf wrote:
gerold wrote:
rodolfoleoni wrote:Lots of posts, I just cannot read all of them. But I noticed Mr. Letouzey "disappeared" from discussion. What if he'll do nothing about all that stuff?
All this infor or most of it has been beaten to death before. What can
he do. Its about 5 years to late.
These posts were fun to read. They have done more to promote
IH and Houdini than anything else. Now Houdini is on more rating list
and on Playchess. Also top GM are now using Houdini.

Best,
Gerold
Please give me a second to disagree. Houdini is so to speak the genuine version of Rybka for the average chessplayers and testers of chessless automats, while the greatest chessplayer on Earth, the Cluster Rybka is reserved for the eager elites, talents and professionals in chess.

So, if you want to know the truth about chess, go for the online cluster Rybka. If you like to fiddle in your closet with your own hardware but a weaker program, then you can do business as usual.

Yes i may try the Cluster out. However i don't think it will show much.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I have 76 Black Angus cattle. 2 steers a year finds my pot.
geots

Re: On principle CCRL will be removing all Rybka programs...

Post by geots »

By the way, they have medicine for oral diarrhea. :shock:
Osipov Jury

Post by Osipov Jury »

Damir wrote:I think you are asking the wrong person.... :lol:
I am true person. You have strange fantasies.
Juri, could you make Fruit a Cluster Rybka?
I do not understand the question about the cluster. What do you mean?
I went through the Rybka code forwards and backwards and took many things.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

If you can make a ''Fruit'' into Cluster Rybka, than I am wrong and apologize your royal highness.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Rolf wrote:
gerold wrote:
rodolfoleoni wrote:Lots of posts, I just cannot read all of them. But I noticed Mr. Letouzey "disappeared" from discussion. What if he'll do nothing about all that stuff?
All this infor or most of it has been beaten to death before. What can
he do. Its about 5 years to late.
These posts were fun to read. They have done more to promote
IH and Houdini than anything else. Now Houdini is on more rating list
and on Playchess. Also top GM are now using Houdini.

Best,
Gerold
Please give me a second to disagree. Houdini is so to speak the genuine version of Rybka for the average chessplayers and testers of chessless automats, while the greatest chessplayer on Earth, the Cluster Rybka is reserved for the eager elites, talents and professionals in chess.

So, if you want to know the truth about chess, go for the online cluster Rybka. If you like to fiddle in your closet with your own hardware but a weaker program, then you can do business as usual.

So you think that Rybka Cluster is stronger than Houdini on a very strong octal? I don't think so. Hell a member of the Rybka forum (Highendman) with the help of a weaker engine and weaker hardware has a winning record against the cluster. And the funny thing is he isn't an GM or an IM. He's master level at best.