Puzzle with mate scores in TT

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: Puzzle with mate scores in TT

Post by Evert »

silentshark wrote:one approach is to never store mate scores in the hash table. Is this such a bad deal?
Maybe not, they're probably rare enough that it doesn't affect playing strength too much, but to me it sounds as arbitrary as saying "I don't store captures in the transposition table".
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Evert wrote:
silentshark wrote:one approach is to never store mate scores in the hash table. Is this such a bad deal?
Maybe not, they're probably rare enough that it doesn't affect playing strength too much, but to me it sounds as arbitrary as saying "I don't store captures in the transposition table".
no, it's different in that it avoids a problem. mate scores in the hash table are problematic, captures are not.
Evert

Post by Evert »

silentshark wrote:no, it's different in that it avoids a problem. mate scores in the hash table are problematic, captures are not.
Mate scores in the hash table are not problematic. Some ways of dealing with mate scores in the search can be problematic with certain ways of storing mate scores in the TT if you don't take care of what you're doing.
If the mate score returned from a position is always "this position is mate-in-N" (so it gets adjusted to "this position is mate-in-N+1" when backed up to the parent) and that's also what you store in the TT, there is no problem.
micron

Post by micron »

bob wrote:
Robert P. wrote:Spandrel gives these results for Fine #70.

Code: Select all

38   3.04    165 kn  0.055 s     Kb1 
39   2.94    186 kn  0.062 s     Kb1 
40   2.94    198 kn  0.066 s     Kb1 
Your 40 ply search is _very_ small. 198K nodes total. Crafty searches about 10x that much.
Thanks for spotting a recently-introduced accounting bug!
QS nodes were not included. The correct value is 264 kn, which reduces the discrepancy somewhat.
Robert P.
bob

Post by bob »

Again, the obvious question is "why?" Why would you exclude a perfectly valid score???
bob

Post by bob »

silentshark wrote:
Evert wrote:
no, it's different in that it avoids a problem. mate scores in the hash table are problematic, captures are not.
Mate scores are not problematic, if you do the simple score adjustment necessary to change the score from "mate-in-N-from-the-root" to "mate-in-N-from-current-position". It is a trivial bit of code. It can be significant when you use egtbs as those are mate scores that are more efficient when they come from the TT than from an EGTB probe, repeatedly.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

bob wrote:
silentshark wrote:
Evert wrote:
Mate scores are not problematic, if you do the simple score adjustment necessary to change the score from "mate-in-N-from-the-root" to "mate-in-N-from-current-position". It is a trivial bit of code. It can be significant when you use egtbs as those are mate scores that are more efficient when they come from the TT than from an EGTB probe, repeatedly.
Ok, Evert/ Bob, I hear you. How about this, then? How likely are you to have problems if you don't look after mate scores (as outlined by Bob) in the TT?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

silentshark wrote:
bob wrote:
silentshark wrote:
Evert wrote:
Ok, Evert/ Bob, I hear you. How about this, then? How likely are you to have problems if you don't look after mate scores (as outlined by Bob) in the TT?
It is certain to cause problems because the distance to mate will be wrong if you don't track the distance.
Evert

Post by Evert »

silentshark wrote:Ok, Evert/ Bob, I hear you. How about this, then? How likely are you to have problems if you don't look after mate scores (as outlined by Bob) in the TT?
Depends on how you deal with mate scores.
When the recursive call returns a mate-in-N score, I adjust it to mate-in-N+1 before returning it. That's also the value that is stored in the TT and I don't need to do anything special to it when it's returned after a hash probe.
bob

Post by bob »

silentshark wrote:
bob wrote:
silentshark wrote:
Evert wrote:
The most common problem is that you will announce a mate in N, Then on the next search you might announce mate in N+5. And the next move you see mate in N+11... Scores will bounce around and you might well end up drawing due to repetition or 50 moves when it was avoidable.

But the correction is trivial... so why not do it?