DGT BOARD PROBLEM HOW TO RUN

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

menniepals

DGT BOARD PROBLEM HOW TO RUN

Post by menniepals »

My friend is trying to sell me one of his two DGT boards. The one he is selling has a 9 pin rs232 serial port. He only has the pieces and the board. He does not have the cables or anything that goes with it. He hasn't even tested this unit himself. It has been with him for a while but never found time to test since he has another one. Is there a quick remedy to test this unit? Would it run if I would have a USB to Rs232 adapter? Would it need a power source like a 9vdc adapter to go with it? Or would the USB power the board itself? Please help. Thanks, Alfred
LaurenceChen

Re: DGT BOARD PROBLEM HOW TO RUN

Post by LaurenceChen »

If it requires an external power source, the USB to Serial adapter cannot power the board. You will need to purchase the power adapter. As for the serial cable... well, you can by the USB to serial adapter... these are not expansive hardware which can be bought in any computer shop.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

Yes, you need a special cable from DGT...I do not know if they are available in a normal PC shop, at least I had to order it from DGT. Wonder if they still have any in the meantime.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Okay. But where do i attach the power supply to the board. It does not look if there is a thing for it. Should it "ride" on the serial adapter? How does this thing should hook up? Sorry for my utter ignorance on this subject.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

How much was it, by the way? If you remember. It seems it is no longer available with their regular store.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

menniepals wrote:Okay. But where do i attach the power supply to the board. It does not look if there is a thing for it. Should it "ride" on the serial adapter? How does this thing should hook up? Sorry for my utter ignorance on this subject.
Check here

http://digitalgametechnology.com/site/i ... cable.html
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

Don't know anymore sorry. The power supply is part of the serial cable. Maybe if you write them they could send you one even if they don't have in the shop. Let them know you have the information from the Arena people, it might help ;)

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
shiv

Post by shiv »

Looking at the picture, I am lost as to how that cable provides power. RS232 provides power via the cable but it may not be enough volts. Check with DGT for the type of cable/interface they used. My feeling is once you get their reply, you can buy their cable from many online stores.

Even a USB rs232 adapter can provide power, provided the DGT board receives sufficient voltage from USB.
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

shiv wrote:Looking at the picture, I am lost as to how that cable provides power. RS232 provides power via the cable but it may not be enough volts. Check with DGT for the type of cable/interface they used. My feeling is once you get their reply, you can buy their cable from many online stores.

Even a USB rs232 adapter can provide power, provided the DGT board receives sufficient voltage from USB.
From the picture, there is another cable where it supplies the power...
Therefore, a special type of transformer/power supply is required. The serial cable cannot supply enough power to the DGT board.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

I did my little research. It does need about 9 volts. And it needs a special power source.