Francesca M.A.D 0.16 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

silentshark

Re: Francesca M.A.D 0.16 released

Post by silentshark »

Max wrote:Thanks Tom for your new release!

Despite her female nature, Francesca treats her opponents often very badly. I like her attacking playing style so much.

In a game against Fruit 2.3.1 she played 20. Bxg6 in this position. The game ended after 22 more moves as draw.

[D] r4rk1/1b2q2p/p3p1p1/1pnpP3/3Q3P/2NB2R1/PPP3P1/2K4R w - - 0 20

IMO, please don't try to increase ELO in favor for her style. Tom, let me beg instead for spending Francesca an analyze mode & setup position feature. 8-)

Thanks
Max
Thanks, Max, that's great. Was this played with the latest version (0.16) or previous? I ask because the king attack stuff is different in the latest version. Hopefully still "fun", though!
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

silentshark wrote:re: draw scores, maybe there is a problem here with my understanding of chess rules.

I thought a position had to be repeated 3 time for it to be a draw.. is that happening in game 2 you posted, Werner, or is Arena declaring it a draw "early"?
I think it is happening - just made the same game in Shredder GUI and I had the same output after 90....Kf6: 3fold repetition.
Werner
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Werner wrote:
silentshark wrote:re: draw scores, maybe there is a problem here with my understanding of chess rules.

I thought a position had to be repeated 3 time for it to be a draw.. is that happening in game 2 you posted, Werner, or is Arena declaring it a draw "early"?
I think it is happening - just made the same game in Shredder GUI and I had the same output after 90....Kf6: 3fold repetition.
ok, many thanks, I will look at that..
Max

Post by Max »

silentshark wrote:Thanks, Max, that's great. Was this played with the latest version (0.16) or previous? I ask because the king attack stuff is different in the latest version. Hopefully still "fun", though!
Yes, it was played by the latest version 0.16. She is still in the same mood! 8-)

Max
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Tom,

is it possible for Francesca to use a generic opening book instead of its own book?

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Graham Banks wrote:Hi Tom,

is it possible for Francesca to use a generic opening book instead of its own book?

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,

yes, although it's not as clean as one would hope.

just delete or rename the book files (franbook.b and franbook.w) in the francesca directory. At that point you can use other books, e.g. under Arena - this is through the "force" command. You can't force Francesca to start the game from a given FEN position, though.

Hope this helps.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Max wrote:
silentshark wrote:Thanks, Max, that's great. Was this played with the latest version (0.16) or previous? I ask because the king attack stuff is different in the latest version. Hopefully still "fun", though!
Yes, it was played by the latest version 0.16. She is still in the same mood! 8-)

Max
Thanks, Max, I checked it myself and 0.16 (but not 0.15, don't know about earlier ones) wants to play this move. As I said, I tweaked king safety somewhat (for instance, more attention is paid to pawns around the king). This is probably why 0.16 likes the BxP move. I wonder if other engines go for this?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

silentshark wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,

just delete or rename the book files (franbook.b and franbook.w) in the francesca directory. At that point you can use other books, e.g. under Arena - this is through the "force" command. You can't force Francesca to start the game from a given FEN position, though.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tom. I'll give it another go under ChessGUI. Didn't have any luck with the last release under that GUI though unfortunately.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Graham Banks wrote:
silentshark wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,

Hope this helps.
Thanks Tom. I'll give it another go under ChessGUI. Didn't have any luck with the last release under that GUI though unfortunately.

Cheers,
Graham.
Thanks, no idea about ChessGUI, never tried it.. is it freeware?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

silentshark wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
silentshark wrote:

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Graham.
Thanks, no idea about ChessGUI, never tried it.. is it freeware?
Yes - it's freeware:
http://w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de/
gbanksnz at gmail.com