What engine is the strongest in tactics?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: What engine is the strongest in tactics?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Don wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Robert Flesher wrote:
EroSennin wrote:Yeah what engine is the strongest in tactics? Also which engine plays very tactically in about grandmaster level? I am guessing the answer to my second question would be fritz something.

Critter 0.90
You will be hard pressed to find a better engine in tactics. The best Fritz for tactics IMHO is Fritz 10. However, it pales in comparision to Critter.
100% agreement regarding Critter.

So if chess is 99% tactics, why is Critter more than 1% below the top, in elo?
Chess is NOT 99% tactics and Critter IS one of the best programs. And it's possible to have a program that is stronger tactically than any other program but not be better.

Like the endgame/full game experiments that have been done every program has it's own set of strengths and weaknesses relative to other programs.

Nevertheless, I would be careful about characterizing programs based on general opinion, that can often be quite wrong.
About chess and tactics:
Yasser Seirawan in one of his books says (I am paraphrasing):
If you are not yet developed, do not look for tactical shots, because it is a waste of time. First develop your chessmen and then look for tactics.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Probably Vida must weaken Critter tactics in next version to reach top 3 position!

Jouni
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Jouni wrote:Probably Vida must weaken Critter tactics in next version to reach top 3 position!

Jouni
Excellent tactics are an excellent but not sufficient condition for excellent play.

As an illustration, back in the hayday of shredder, it scored 285/300 on WAC at a time when many garden variety engines would score 295 or better.

Good pawn structure, for instance, has nothing to do with tactics. Controlling the center has nothing to do with tactics. There are lots of things besides tactics that are important.

I also do not think that Critter is the best tactical engine, despite the fact that it solves some problems that no other engine will solve in a reasonable time.

That all having been said, Critter is definitely one of my favorite engines.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Swami,

after played SWCR games, different statistics I made.

1. Spark
2. Hiarcs
3. Stockfish
4. Critter
5. Hannibal
6. Junior
7. Thinker
8. Houdini

There're the TOP 8 !!
Perhaps i made my SWCR official but I have to make the excel files better, so far not time for it.

Best
Frank