7 piece tablebases... when?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Arpad Rusz

7 piece tablebases... when?

Post by Arpad Rusz »

An interesting project by Kirill Kryukov:
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... f=6&t=5815
bob

Re: 7 piece tablebases... when?

Post by bob »

Arpad Rusz wrote:An interesting project by Kirill Kryukov:
It is one thing to do 7 piece files, it is another thing to store them, and yet another thing to use them in a live search. I am not sure technology is "there" today, both from a size and a speed perspective. And I am not sure they are ever going to be really useful, other than for specific endgame studies.
Arpad Rusz

Post by Arpad Rusz »

I know that for engine-engine play even the 6 men tablebases are considered almost useless. But for endgame analysis - not only studies, real games too - they are of big help. Try to analyse some six men positions without tablebases. The engines are usually clueless...
The technology also was not "there" when Nalimov started his work. :wink:
bob

Post by bob »

Arpad Rusz wrote:I know that for engine-engine play even the 6 men tablebases are considered almost useless. But for endgame analysis - not only studies, real games too - they are of big help. Try to analyse some six men positions without tablebases. The engines are usually clueless...
Actually the technology was "there" as Eugene started with 3-4-5's, and only ventured to 6's after disk space reached reasonable levels.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Arpad Rusz wrote:I know that for engine-engine play even the 6 men tablebases are considered almost useless. But for endgame analysis - not only studies, real games too - they are of big help. Try to analyse some six men positions without tablebases. The engines are usually clueless...
engines usually know what to do in 6 piece tablebases(otherwise 6 piece tablebases could be useful for engine-engine games and only using them at the root could give a significant advantage to engines).

There are positions when they do not know what to do but in big majority of the cases
long mates or draws that are not easy draws without tablebases do not happen in games.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
It is one thing to do 7 piece files, it is another thing to store them, and yet another thing to use them in a live search. I am not sure technology is "there" today, both from a size and a speed perspective. And I am not sure they are ever going to be really useful, other than for specific endgame studies.
Well I think the technology is there but at the very high end and very expensive. It's not there in normal range of desktops, yet.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
Well I think the technology is there but at the very high end and very expensive. It's not there in normal range of desktops, yet.
7 piece files will require roughly 2^36 bytes, probably a bit more. For just one. For both sides, double that. That's on up there with today's technology, not to mention the problem of "how do you get 'em"??
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

bob wrote:
Thanks to Arpad for bringing it up here.

I think it's clear now that many people find 6-piece tablebases useful. Some for playing, some for composing, many more for analyzing. Many choose to have only part of the 6-piece set, so the size of the whole set is not too important. So, if we could already have KRPPKRP, or KPPPKPP now, how many of us would refuse? Certainly you'd find space on your hard drive for those table, if they were available.

Personally I believe the technology is already here for producing and sharing the whole 7-piece set. The key is to not try building all tables by yourself (traditional approach), but involve the community. So developing the efficient infrastructure for this project is as important as the generator itself.

If the key specs for the generator and the infrastructure are designed by the community, and if sufficient motivation is provided for developers to comply to those specs, the end result will be practically a paradise on earth - a complete 7-piece solution available to anyone at any time. How much of this will come true is up to the community, which means all of us.

Note. The infrastructure should provide support for three tasks: 1. Distributed generation of the tables. 2. Distribution of the completed tables. 3. Remote probing. So those who can't store the local copy of the tables will still have access to the whole 7-piece solution, just at a much slower speed.

Note 2. When building a DTZ (or DTZ50) table, the sub-endgame tables can be in WDL (or WDL50). This means that when the whole 4-vs-3 set is solved in WDL, you can suddenly build KPPPKPP in DTZ without building any other DTZ first. This property of DTZ will significantly accelerate our path to the useful tables.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

You also have to remember, the engine itself has to be programmer to use the 6 man and 7 man tbs.

If they aren't, then they only find the 3-4-5 man bases and use those. Just because you have downloaded them, doesn't mean your engine _uses_ them.

Crafty can be compiled to use the 6 man bases. Which others use them?

Where does one even download the 6 man bases anymore?
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
7 piece files will require roughly 2^36 bytes, probably a bit more. For just one. For both sides, double that. That's on up there with today's technology, not to mention the problem of "how do you get 'em"??
Yes, they aren't practical anyway. You said they may be useful for endgame studies, I agree that's about it for the time being.
Terry McCracken