Scid vs. PC book feature

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stevenaaus

Scid vs. PC book feature

Post by stevenaaus »

Would many people find it useful to have multiple books open at one time ?

Scid's book feature is a little budget, and i'm going to do some work on it. I don't think showing multiple books would be too hard to do (famous last words), though haven't looked at the code yet.

How many people make their own books ? My idea is to put them side-by-side and, optionally, ordered alphabetically.
Mithu

Re: Scid vs. PC book feature

Post by Mithu »

Would they all move in tandem, as the board position changes ?

If so then it would be great as we can compare two different books simultaneously in real time !!!

Comparison is always a good idea to see what improvements or deficiencies are present in each book.
And BTW I think book-making is not that hard in SCID in modern computers at least.

So the Answer is a big YES.
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

I believe Mithun. But I have a feeling that for an average user it's enough to be able to switch books via a drop-down menu. If this is SvPC's last major missing feature, it's a great application indeed. ;)
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Well... it's technically doable :)
I wasn't sure Scid's C/polyglot backend would support it, but it seems fine. I might just leave it at "two" books.
The next move is highlighted in lemon (like in the tree), and hovering the mouse over "c4" (say) highlights "c4" in both lists with a grey background (not shown).

The code isn't committed yet 'cos i have to reconcile book tuning with the new procedures and fix up widget resizing when showing the "Opponents Book".
In the screenshot you can see i'm also finalizing look and feel of the main buttonbar and toolbar. ;>

Short changelog of minor changes so far from 4.3: Crosstable sort by nationality, ECO browser fixes, OSX tweaks and support for context menus with single button mouse.