Mac Scid and Sigma hash restrictions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kaj Soderberg

Mac Scid and Sigma hash restrictions

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Hi Scid and Sigma connoisseurs,
When testing different versions of Stockfish for the Mac, i run into curious restrictions in Scid and Sigma. It seems that SF 1.8 and 1.6 are restricted to 2gb of hash, whereas the Shredder interface accepts higher settings without moaning.
Maybe someone here has connections tot the guy(s) behind Scid and Sigma, so that unnecessary restrictions can be lifted.
Cheers,
Kaj
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Mac Scid and Sigma hash restrictions

Post by hgm »

Does XBoard also suffers from this, or is it OK there?
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Sorry, i can't test this as total system memory is only <= 2GB. This was a known issue with Stockfish 1.6 i think, but this version is very old. Have you tried a recent version ?

You can also look in $HOME/.scid/log/engine*.log (whichever log is stockfish's) to clarify which version of stockfish is running, and what it's reported hash usage is. Or send me the contents of the log directory - stevenaaus.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

hgm wrote:Does XBoard also suffers from this, or is it OK there?
Do have a download address for a recent Mac version.
Then i'll give XBoard a try.

Kind regards,
Kaj
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

stevenaaus wrote:Sorry, i can't test this as total system memory is only <= 2GB. This was a known issue with Stockfish 1.6 i think, but this version is very old. Have you tried a recent version ?

You can also look in $HOME/.scid/log/engine*.log (whichever log is stockfish's) to clarify which version of stockfish is running, and what it's reported hash usage is. Or send me the contents of the log directory - stevenaaus.
Strangely enough, i got Scid accepting higher hash this morning though i have not done anything different than earlier. Only Sigma is refusing, with any version.

Oh well, with Shredder and Scid to play with, there is enough choice.
When i get H.G. Mullers latest working XBoard, i will try it as a new interface to me, out of curiosity.

Cheers,
Kaj
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Kaj Soderberg wrote:
hgm wrote:Does XBoard also suffers from this, or is it OK there?
Do have a download address for a recent Mac version.
Then i'll give XBoard a try.

Kind regards,
Kaj
Sorry, my first sentence came out wrong. It was meant to say: Do you have a download address for a recent Mac version?

Must start using my reading glasses even behind the Mac ;-)

Cheers,
Kaj
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

XBoard 4.5.2 for Mac can be found here: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=50428 .

Not there also is a development version there, with more features. If you are new to XBoard, perhaps you'd better use that, as it makes installing engines much easier. (I understand that on Mac it is not so easy to run things from the command line.)