Speed vs ELO gain

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Speed vs ELO gain

Post by Milos »

bob wrote:Where was Heinz wrong with null-move reduction. We came up with the _same_ reduction (3 near the root, 2 near the tips, what he called 'adaptive null-move') independently through testing. When I added checks to Crafty's q-search, I found R=3 was very slightly (emphasis on _slightly_ better). But without the qsearch checks, 2~3 was significantly better.

The only ones that can legitimately say he was wrong are those that have actually run some tests. I have, and I found his results pretty accurate...
I already answered on the other thread, but I'll repeat. Using data from depths around 10 and without LMR to project trends and make conclusions about depths 25 or 30 and having the main argument that search tree is the same all the way, is not even pseudo science. It's more of a fortune-telling. And you are basing your believes on that. Nothing to add on that except that there is the world outside of Crafty despite of what you believe.
bob

Re: Speed vs ELO gain

Post by bob »

Milos wrote:
bob wrote:Where was Heinz wrong with null-move reduction. We came up with the _same_ reduction (3 near the root, 2 near the tips, what he called 'adaptive null-move') independently through testing. When I added checks to Crafty's q-search, I found R=3 was very slightly (emphasis on _slightly_ better). But without the qsearch checks, 2~3 was significantly better.

The only ones that can legitimately say he was wrong are those that have actually run some tests. I have, and I found his results pretty accurate...
I already answered on the other thread, but I'll repeat. Using data from depths around 10 and without LMR to project trends and make conclusions about depths 25 or 30 and having the main argument that search tree is the same all the way, is not even pseudo science. It's more of a fortune-telling. And you are basing your believes on that. Nothing to add on that except that there is the world outside of Crafty despite of what you believe.
Someone said "you just can't fix stupid." I believe they are correct, so I'm not going to continue trying.

Carry on...