Compressed Files

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomlynch

Compressed Files

Post by tomlynch »

A file, such as those in www.chesslogik.com/fire.htm, requires unzipping. OK, now must the file be downloaded prior to it being unzipped, or does one merely need the specific file lettering which would be received by the file extractor being worked with? (I am still being inexplicibly held up in my quest to work with a chess program considered free and online.)
Dann Corbit

Re: Compressed Files

Post by Dann Corbit »

If you are using Windows, get this thing:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Then set the file associations for all compression types to 7-zip.
tomlynch

Post by tomlynch »

Dann,

Someone else recently said work with 7-zip but during download said 'unknown program wants access' strongly advising me not to continue. Have Win Vista. I'm sure you are saying 7-zip ok; can you be 100% certain ok on my computer? My Vipre program recently blocked a known bad file while downloading one source of WinRAR and says current threat levels are Medium.

Tom
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

tomlynch wrote:A file, such as those in www.chesslogik.com/fire.htm, requires unzipping. OK, now must the file be downloaded prior to it being unzipped, or does one merely need the specific file lettering which would be received by the file extractor being worked with? (I am still being inexplicibly held up in my quest to work with a chess program considered free and online.)
Yes. The word "unzipping" comes from the name of ".zip" files, which is one of the most popular compressed formats. There are lots of other ones, ".rar" is the format of the files you are trying to get from chesslogik.

Fortunately, there are programs like 7-zip that know how to uncompress .zip and .rar and dozens of other formats too.

Yes, the link Dann posted ( http://www.7-zip.org/ ) is about as safe as it can get. 7-zip is a well-known and reputable piece of software.