Shredder reinstalled, Habnibal OK

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Shredder reinstalled, Habnibal OK

Post by fern »

My problems, I guessed, came probably of some problem with Shredder, so I reinstalled and now hanibal is working fine.
Thanks all for his advices and time
Fern
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Shredder reinstalled, Habnibal OK

Post by Laskos »

fern wrote:My problems, I guessed, came probably of some problem with Shredder, so I reinstalled and now hanibal is working fine.
Fern
It is Hannibal, the son of Hamilcar Barca and the most talented commander of armed forces in history.

Kai
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

fern wrote:My problems, I guessed, came probably of some problem with Shredder, so I reinstalled and now hanibal is working fine.
Fern
Glad to hear things are working, and that no labor on our part was necessary :).

-Sam
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Laskos wrote:
Fern
It is Hannibal, the son of Hamilcar Barca and the most talented commander of armed forces in history.

Kai
Sun Tzu wrote "Art of War", still used today by commanders all over the world.
What similar contribution has Hannibal Barca made?
Great tactician, otherwise overrated.

IMO, YMMVG
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Fern

Kai

IMO, YMMVG
Wow, did you know that with only 8,000 Carthaginians he terrorized for 15 years millions of Italians in Italian heartland? The rest of his not very large, ill equipped, ill disciplined army were mercenaries. Did you know that even in the later stages, well equipped, well trained Roman (properly from Rome) and Allied (other Italian) Legions would not fight him in less than 2:1 numerical superiority over his mercenaries in Italy? It's only the betrayal of Masinissa which doomed his prospects in Carthage, and then the stupidity of Antiochus III of Syria.

Kai
fern

Post by fern »

I know is THAT Hannibal, the author of Cannae massacre of almost 80 thousand legionaries, second punic war.
Man, do not confuse my ortographics shorcomings with my history knowledge.

fern.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Laskos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Fern

Kai

IMO, YMMVG
Wow, did you know that with only 8,000 Carthaginians he terrorized for 15 years millions of Italians in Italian heartland? The rest of his not very large, ill equipped, ill disciplined army were mercenaries. Did you know that even in the later stages, well equipped, well trained Roman (properly from Rome) and Allied (other Italian) Legions would not fight him in less than 2:1 numerical superiority over his mercenaries in Italy? It's only the betrayal of Masinissa which doomed his prospects in Carthage, and then the stupidity of Antiochus III of Syria.

Kai
I see no contribution at all in what you mention.
So you did not address my question at all.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Fern

Kai

IMO, YMMVG

Kai
Sun Tzu basically wrote about the balance of power, a thing applied in Europe since 14th Century, when against a powerful entity a coalition will arise, so no one would become dominant. It was even applied in classical Greece, with Sparta, Athens, Thebes, Argos, Corynth, etc. What are the practical achievements of Sun Tzu?

Hannibal, deprived or resources, with a population of Carthaginians 30 times smaller than Rome & Italians, with some randomly picked few mercenaries, was able to have in check Romans for more than 15 years (in their heartland!).

Kai
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Laskos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Fern

Kai

IMO, YMMVG

Kai
Sun Tzu basically wrote about the balance of power, a thing applied in Europe since 14th Century, when against a powerful entity a coalition will arise, so no one would become dominant. It was even applied in classical Greece, with Sparta, Athens, Thebes, Argos, Corynth, etc. What are the practical achievements of Sun Tzu?

Hannibal, deprived or resources, with a population of Carthaginians 30 times smaller than Rome & Italians, with some randomly picked few mercenaries, was able to have in check Romans for more than 15 years (in their heartland!).

Kai
I suspect that this thread is better moved to CTF.

Hannibal killed a lot of people and left no written legacy behind as to his tactics and strategies, thinking or even philosophy. What little people do know about his thought process has been gleaned from analysis of his battles. Basically Hannibal was a vengeful whinging twit who left behind nothing of value and killed a lot of people out of a sworn vendetta. My idea of utterly useless (I am not a Hannibal fan).

The principles laid out in Sun Tzu's book are valuable for many facets besides killing people, and is used as a standard textbook even today all around the world.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

I suspect that this thread is better moved to CTF.
no,please continue.