Vas, Hyatt, Levy, ICGA, WCCC, Confusion and Nausea

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Vas, Hyatt, Levy, ICGA, WCCC, Confusion and Nausea

Post by Steve B »

Here's an interesting development
i just finished reading this months issue of Chess Life(July 2011)..the official magazine of the United States Chess Federation(USCF)
i notice not one ad for Rybka this month
there are plenty of ads for other chess software and books and a full page ad for other Convekta chess software ..
first month i can remember where the USCF didn't run an ad for Rybka or any other Rybka related software
for many months the USCF ran a full page inside cover or complete back cover ad
i dont know if this is a sign that the engine is now being shunned by mainstream chess retailers or just a monthly fluke
it does seem a bit of a dilemma for retailers given the fact that Rybka ships boxed as a 5 time consecutive World Champion
at the very least i imagine they will have to change the packaging?

Ripple Effects Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:Here's an interesting development
i just finished reading this months issue of Chess Life(July 2011)..the official magazine of the United States Chess Federation(USCF)
there are plenty of ads for other chess software and books and a full page ad for other Convekta chess software ..
first month i can remember where the USCF didn't run an ad for Rybka or any other Rybka related software
i dont know if this is a sign that the engine is now being shunned by mainstream chess retailers or just a monthly fluke
it does seem a bit of a dilemma for retailers given the fact that Rybka ships boxed as a 5 time consecutive World Champion

Ripple Effects Regards
Steve
Richard Vida (Critter author) just posted the following on the Rybka forum:

R3 and R4 are clean from any fruit code. There are _at least_ 5 people who know for 100% (M.Watkins, J.Osipov, Vas & L.Kaufman, and myself)....
I think Dr Hyatt never looked at R3/R4 code and he has a very good reason.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:

Ripple Effects Regards
Steve

R3 and R4 are clean from any fruit code. There are _at least_ 5 people who know for 100% (M.Watkins, J.Osipov, Vas & L.Kaufman, and myself)....
It's not relevant. Don't you understand that? Regardless, Vas himself said the fruit genes were carried over to R3/R4 in his interview, and Larry Kaufman isn't a programmer. How can anyone else but Vas know 100%??? They can't have access to the source, even Vas said he lost it. It would take months at least to prove it was clean if they had the source. Bob was right and so were the programmers who went to the ICGA and Dr. David Levy was right in his decision. What are you trying to do? You your bother and many others are just shit stirring at this point.

For you or anyone else to imply Bob had other motives then getting to the bottom of this is shear speculation and a malicious attack on his character and overall reputation. Disgusting. Vas himself is also guilty of blaming Dr. Bob Hyatt, Dr. David Levy et al in his interview as well.

This is so bizarre it could make it to Anderson Cooper's 360, RidicuList!
Last edited by Terry McCracken on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McCracken
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: R3 and R4 are clean from any fruit code. There are _at least_ 5 people who know for 100% (M.Watkins, J.Osipov, Vas & L.Kaufman, and myself)....
It's not relevant........
Really?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: R3 and R4 are clean from any fruit code. There are _at least_ 5 people who know for 100% (M.Watkins, J.Osipov, Vas & L.Kaufman, and myself)....
It's not relevant........
Really?
Yeah, really. He violated rules by coping fruit into his early versions. The ICGA is clear on this, the FSF could care less if they get involved he still in breach of the GPL. Vas ignored the whole process and made it worse for himself and hadn't a clue Fabien took this to the ICGA! How stupid is that???
Give it a rest. It's Over! The decision Final!
Terry McCracken
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:

Ripple Effects Regards
Steve

That's not going to work. :)
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

Sorry but L Kaufman have never seen the Rybka code, also he is not a programmer.
bob

Post by bob »

Graham Banks wrote:

Ripple Effects Regards
Steve

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Mark said he thinks the eval is significantly changed. But what about the rest of the code?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

bob wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Richard Vida (Critter author) just posted the following on the Rybka forum:

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Mark said he thinks the eval is significantly changed. But what about the rest of the code?
Bob - here is the link:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... 352736;hl=

I guess you could ask there, but Richard is also posting on OpenChess in this thread:
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php ... 497#p13124
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:
Really?

Hello Graham,

How about a comment about the similarity between Rybka 4 and Ippo* and Richard Vida's interesting hint at the end? Plus his comments about the possible originality of Ippo*.

I mean, while we are quoting the man and all that stuff....

:-)

Later.