Vas, Hyatt, Levy, ICGA, WCCC, Confusion and Nausea

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Vas, Hyatt, Levy, ICGA, WCCC, Confusion and Nausea

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:Vas could lose in court and many would still support him. Reason is out the window. I never thought I'd say it but these people are afflicted much like cult followers and Vas is the Leader-They not only follow him like groupies but Worship the man! :x

Branch Davidians Regards,
It has nothing to do with hero worship. That's just plain childish.
It has to do with wanting any investigation to be neutral, thorough and not cut short based on making assumptions.
As for legal action, anybody disagreeing with a verdict there would really be showing their bias one way or the other. In fact FSF action is what many of us would like to see happen.
Just my opinion of course. :)

Expecting the usual attack dogs to bite any minute! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:
It has to do with wanting any investigation to be neutral, thorough and not cut short based on making assumptions.
As for legal action, anybody disagreeing with a verdict there would really be showing their bias one way or the other. In fact FSF action is what many of us would like to see happen.

Hello Graham,

I am not worried about being seen as a dog by you considering your creature reference earlier but I have a difficulty with your posts.

Had the recent investigation cleared Vas of any wrong doing whatsoever, had the panel decided that Rybka was pure as [fill in cliche of choice here] would you really be claiming that the legal case go on?

Or would Rybka's doubtful status be immediately lifted on your site?

Would you be questioning the neutrality or thoroughness or presumption of the panel?

Would anyone question the decision? The process? The members?

I will make a small wager what the honest answer would be. I will also make a small wager that I will not get one.

Later.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Roger Brown wrote:Had the recent investigation cleared Vas of any wrong doing whatsoever, had the panel decided that Rybka was pure as [fill in cliche of choice here] would you really be claiming that the legal case go on?

Would you be questioning the neutrality or thoroughness or presumption of the panel?

I will make a small wager what the honest answer would be. I will also make a small wager that I will not get one.

Later.
As far as I understand it, the whole case was based on the claim that Rybka 1.0 and possibly later versions were Fruity beyond what was considered acceptable.
If Rybkas 1.0 through 2.32a had been found clean by the panel, I'm picking that they wouldn't have seen the need to investigate further.
The difference the other way round is that the onus should always be on proving guilt rather than assuming it, even if that requires much additional effort.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:Had the recent investigation cleared Vas of any wrong doing whatsoever, had the panel decided that Rybka was pure as [fill in cliche of choice here] would you really be claiming that the legal case go on?

Later.
As far as I understand it, the whole case was based on the claim that Rybka 1.0 and possibly later versions were Fruity beyond what was considered acceptable.
If Rybkas 1.0 through 2.32a had been found clean by the panel, I'm picking that they wouldn't have seen the need to investigate further.
The difference the other way round is that the onus should always be on proving guilt rather than assuming it, even if that requires much additional effort.

Cheers,
Graham.

Hello Graham,

Would you mind terribly addressing the material quoted below?

Later.

Had the recent investigation cleared Vas of any wrong doing whatsoever.......Would you be questioning the neutrality or thoroughness or presumption of the panel?

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Roger Brown wrote:Would you be questioning the neutrality or thoroughness or presumption of the panel?

The ICGA is free to exclude from their competitions any engines that it deems breaks their rules.

I don't have a personal problem with any members on the panel. However, I do believe that business competitors and non-programmers had no business being on the panel because it automatically leads to claims that it was not a neutral process.

My interest is purely on things seen to be being done in a manner that is not open to question.
As for the actual findings, that's up to programmers to debate.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:Would you be questioning the neutrality or thoroughness or presumption of the panel?

The ICGA is free to exclude from their competitions any engines that it deems breaks their rules.

I don't have a personal problem with any members on the panel. However, I do believe that business competitors and non-programmers had no business being on the panel because it automatically leads to claims that it was not a neutral process.

My interest is purely on things seen to be being done in a manner that is not open to question.
Its my understanding that R3 and R4 has not been proven to be clones or illegal in anyway. Until they can be proven to be illegal no one has any case against Rybka. Any claim or action that could harm the sells of Rybka at this point could be taken to court and ask for damages.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Vas could lose in court and many would still support him. Reason is out the window. I never thought I'd say it but these people are afflicted much like cult followers and Vas is the Leader-They not only follow him like groupies but Worship the man! :x

I think we all know that's pure bull**** , the Rybka supporters will make any excuse and twist the truth to suit them no matter what. I've read enough to know what I say is true. If the truth is childish then so be it.
Better than being delusional or making libelous comments abot those on the panel.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

gerold wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Its my understanding that R3 and R4 has not been proven to be clones or illegal in anyway. Until they can be proven to be illegal no one has any case against Rybka. Any claim or action that could harm the sells of Rybka at this point could be taken to court and ask for damages.
One Vas said in his interview that the genes of fruit carried over to R3/R4 and if it goes to court, even if those versions are clean, (no matter how unlikely), he'll lose as he went commercial in earlier versions. Fabien stands to gain Vas stands to lose a great deal. He's lost respect now it gets worse.
Terry McCracken
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

I think we all know that's pure bull**** , the Rybka supporters will make any excuse and twist the truth to suit them no matter what. I've read enough to know what I say is true. If the truth is childish then so be it.
Better than being delusional or making libelous comments abot those on the panel.
What is bullshit is the fanatics on either side who get carried away with overly emotive language and/or personal attacks.
Don't fall into their trap. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Terry McCracken

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

What is bullshit is the fanatics on either side who get carried away with overly emotive language and/or personal attacks.
Don't fall into their trap. :)
That's just plain stupidity. When you know what's going on it doesn't need fanatism to fuel the emotions.
Terry McCracken