xboard 4.5.2a and Ubuntu 11.04

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

xboard 4.5.2a and Ubuntu 11.04

Post by jshriver »

I rebuilt my machine and install Ubuntu 11.04. Out of the box the xboard package gave me this error:

xboard: no fonts match pattern -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

tried installing everything font, xfont, or helvetica related but still kept getting this error. So ended up doing a dpkg -P xboard, and grabbed the latest source, installed all the deps and had a clean build.

Went to run it, and the exact same error message. Anyone know what this is or more importantly how to fix it?

-Josh
bhlangonijr

Re: xboard 4.5.2a and Ubuntu 11.04

Post by bhlangonijr »

jshriver wrote:I rebuilt my machine and install Ubuntu 11.04. Out of the box the xboard package gave me this error:

tried installing everything font, xfont, or helvetica related but still kept getting this error. So ended up doing a dpkg -P xboard, and grabbed the latest source, installed all the deps and had a clean build.

Went to run it, and the exact same error message. Anyone know what this is or more importantly how to fix it?

-Josh
I ran into this same problem - among other dependency issues - and solved it installing the following packages:

texinfo
libxxf86*.
x11-libXt*.
libxaw*.

I hope it helps...

Regards,
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Found some answers via Mr. Muller on another forum.

You need to have xfont-75dpi or 100dpi installed, which I did. Seeing it was an X issue ended up just logging out/in to restart X and voila it worked.

Just fyi in case others come across this problem.
bob

Post by bob »

jshriver wrote:I rebuilt my machine and install Ubuntu 11.04. Out of the box the xboard package gave me this error:

-Josh
In fedora, we have the option to install "legacy fonts" which takes care of this completely...

You might look for "legacy fonts ubuntu" and see what you find...
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Thanks here are the Ubuntu package names.

apt-get install xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi
bob

Post by bob »

jshriver wrote:Thanks here are the Ubuntu package names.

apt-get install xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi
There are others in the legacy fonts package. The above should fix xboard, but there are other applications one might use if you have been using unix a long while, and some of those have not migrated to the newer font naming convention.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Normally the required font packages are automatically installed when you install the xboard binary package. That still many people have this problem, because installing the package is not enough. The X-server has to be made aware of them somehow, so it will cache them, before they can be used.