How do you see the future of electronic chess boards?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: How do you see the future of electronic chess boards?

Post by bob »

Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:Hi Fermin

it seems the future is bleak regarding dedicated chess computers(boards) from the old time established companies
Novag ,Saitek/Mephisto have all baiscally left the business and are no longer selling anything new

there is one company..Phoenix technologies that does remain active selling dedicated chess boards and modules incorporating modern day PC engines and emulations of older programs
recent releases were Shredder 12 and Hiarcs 13.3 for their Revelation board and modules
Rev-Shredder has been rated 2725 by the SSDF
early testing seems to indicate that Rev H13.3 will be rated close to 2800 elo ..
in addition this company will soon be releasing an electronic board in conjunction with DGT which will have engines hardwired into the board and also piece recognition technology

you can read more here:

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php

Best Regards
Steve
I am not a DGT fan. The RFID pieces are nice, and solve quite a few problems that I (and others) had as we built our own electronic boards in the 70's and 80's. But it has one glaring omission. You can't see, on the board, the move the computer wants to make. I have one in my office, and while it is a nice test/debugging tool, I hate playing on it because I have to move the physical piece to move, but I have to look at the screen to see what Crafty played in response. Some have seen the electronic chess board I build around 1978, where I had incandescent bulbs hidden under the corner of each square, so that when the computer wanted to move a rook from h1 to h7, it looked like an airport landing system where the lights flash in sequence down the file, making it clear that a move had been made and what you needed to do to complete the process by physically moving the rook.

Don't know why the DGT board omitted that, other than the fact that it was really designed to capture games as they are played between two humans, rather than being an I/O peripheral for a chess engine.

I do agree with HG that the best solution is a web-cam. But it certainly is not the "easiest" solution. One might encode pieces with a non-visible bar code, and use an overhead device to watch the board to detect moves, but then there is the problem of making moves for the computer. The old "phantom" idea was the slickest, the novag robot was OK. Both are Rube Goldbergish in complexity and reliability.
Fidelity wrestled with the problem of not showing any led's on the board because it was distracting to some owners
they came up with a auto-sensory playing board that had no led's
the Moves were shown in a separate Unit(attached by cable to the board) which also contained the Program
it was called the Elite Private Line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0922170604

the separate unit had an LCD display screen in the lower front and a small depiction of the chess board on top for move indication:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922170604/

One thing nice about this new DGT board is that it will also have piece recognition which to date only a few very expensive dedicated computers had
makes setting up problems a snap
although i dont set up many problems
just something nice to have
its like having a balcony in a NYC apt..
everyone wants one but hardly anyone ever actually uses it

Indoors Regards
Steve
That second "unit" is simply NFG. I can't count the number of blitz games I used to play against GM players. We both played with a real clock, 5 minutes per side, my "overhead" time just penalized Cray Blitz, which might have lost 1 game out of every 25 due to time.

It is not very efficient to have to look away from the board, see something cryptic like g7d4, and then look at the board and recognize that it is (in our parlance) Bxd4 and make that move. If the lights flash, there is no mental algebraic decoding, then looking at the board to see what it really means. And such moves can sometimes be amazingly difficult to interpret when time is short.

You can have the external displays and stuff. I want _instant_ indicators.

My chessboard was really the best I ever saw. Playing surface was a USCF roll-ez vinyl tournament board. In the upper right-hand corner of each square, I used a high-speed router to precisely cut a 1/4" diameter hole. I then glued this to a piece of translucent plexiglass that was the same color as the cream-colored light squares. On those squares you could not easily see the small holes at all. On the green (dark squares) you saw that tiny circle, but it had no depth since the depth was just the thickness of the vinyl board (glued to that rigid plexiglass remember...)

That entire thing, which was barely thicker than the standard roll-ez board was then mounted on a sheet of 1/2" plywood. Inside there, I had room to mount the magnetic reed switches, and the circuit board used to read 8 squares at a time and interpret those "changes" as a chess move. And underneath those small holes, I mounted a small incandescent light bulb, each controlled by its own darlington pair power transistor. I could turn on any of them, or make them "chase" like an airport runway landing system, etc. My eyes never had to leave the board. Just move and hit the clock. I could keep my eyes on the screen to see what it was thinking about but I didn't need to interpret unless I wanted to because the flashing lights clearly showed me where to move.

That let me use a real chess clock to play 5 minute chess, without the odd rules others used (5 mins of CPU time, or the computer loses at move 60 if it hasn't mated or announced mate, etc.

And it worked flawlessly.
bob

Post by bob »

Kempelen wrote:
bob wrote: I am not a DGT fan. The RFID pieces are nice, and solve quite a few problems that I (and others) had as we built our own electronic boards in the 70's and 80's. But it has one glaring omission. You can't see, on the board, the move the computer wants to make. I have one in my office, and while it is a nice test/debugging tool, I hate playing on it because I have to move the physical piece to move, but I have to look at the screen to see what Crafty played in response. Some have seen the electronic chess board I build around 1978, where I had incandescent bulbs hidden under the corner of each square, so that when the computer wanted to move a rook from h1 to h7, it looked like an airport landing system where the lights flash in sequence down the file, making it clear that a move had been made and what you needed to do to complete the process by physically moving the rook.

Don't know why the DGT board omitted that, other than the fact that it was really designed to capture games as they are played between two humans, rather than being an I/O peripheral for a chess engine.

I do agree with HG that the best solution is a web-cam. But it certainly is not the "easiest" solution. One might encode pieces with a non-visible bar code, and use an overhead device to watch the board to detect moves, but then there is the problem of making moves for the computer. The old "phantom" idea was the slickest, the novag robot was OK. Both are Rube Goldbergish in complexity and reliability.
With DGT the problem of looking at screen is "partially" solved. I bought the DGT XL clock, which connect to board, and when opponet moves the clock displays the moves like "h1-h7", then you move the opponent piece and the clock return to show the time of the players. I put mine in the opponent side in front of me, so no neck moves also. The clock is not cheap, but it works quite well and you can also use it as the usual chess clock.
See my post to steve. It slows things down, if you want to use it to allow your computer program to play real speed chess against an opponent.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, it is a pity that CCD chips are made of silicon, and thus cannot emit light like LEDs (which requires gallium-arsenide). Otherwise a webcam could be used in reverse to illuminate the piece and to-square...
Roman Hartmann

Post by Roman Hartmann »

Future: Quality made chess boards (and pieces) which have no internal brain but with wireless connectivity to a computer which does all the calculation or connects to a chess server at your wish.

Roman
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

the separate unit had an LCD display screen in the lower front and a small depiction of the chess board on top for move indication:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922170604/
bob wrote:

That second "unit" is simply NFG.
Well i did say Fidelity Wrestled with the on board LED problem
not many of these Private Lines were sold although they did release them in two versions(Elite Privat and Elite Private Line)
most of the units were sold in Europe
anyway..for me as a collector ..the fact that not many were sold is perfectly fine
i have both versions of this baby and they are highly sought after today by collectors
the few that have appeared on Ebay over the years have sold for about $1500-2000 a pop

earlier you mentioned some Chess Playing Robots that were released
playing Blitz against these babies can be the most frustrating exercise in futility
the Robot's clock only runs when it is pondering
no time is lost making the actual move
while the players clock stops when the move is completed
so you are banging away playing as fast as you can while the Robot takes its sweet time to ..pick up the piece..place it gingerly on the square ..retract the arm..have a cigarette
you wind up yelling at the Robot to move faster
blunders then ensue by the player of course

Rare Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

These dream dedicated chess computers are never going to
happen for a simple enough reason...the demand is not there.
The setup costs would require a production run of a thousand or more
units to break even. Who among us would carry that risk?
We can only shed a tear and move forward...
Larry
Growth is the problem; not the solution
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Roman Hartmann wrote:Future: Quality made chess boards (and pieces) which have no internal brain but with wireless connectivity to a computer which does all the calculation or connects to a chess server at your wish.

Roman
Wooden board and pieces is number one. Any LEDs should be level an invisible when off.

Wireless is important, or at most 1 thin non-obstructive cable.

Move feedback in the board, not besides the board. LCD-based board, think of a big ipad, with highlighted squares would be preferred provided it can make me believe I look at genuine wooden squares. (One could also play other games on it then... increasing the market... reducing the price...)

Fast self-moving pieces would be next. Nice side effect is easy setup of the starting position. Imagine the pieces getting re-arranged the way bowling pins getting set up again... Hmmm... when pieces fall over the board should make the sound of a strike...

If the board can also smoothly levitate in the middle of the room I would buy one without hesitation.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

[quote="CRoberson"]The question is what is the market? If it is a personal/portable chess opponent/analyst, then the tablet PC's and smartphones are perfect in the sense of strength and portability. You don't get much more portable than inside something you already carry. For some (possibly few), the market is a beautiful board with an opponent/analyst for the home. I think the first market is larger.

However, I have several friends that don't play without a real board. They are not fond of the looking back and forth. For me, the Citrine solves that problem. I never have to look at the screen and only use the board, but I can use any PC opponent I like or allow the PC to record the game.[/quote]

Hi Charles
I have my Novag Citrine connected to a Tablet PC incorporated within the Citrine. Here's a link to a few photos showing it communicating with Arena with Rybka as my opponent.
http://bryanwhitbycomputerchess.yolasite.com/
Le Grande Citrine Arena Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

I bought a DGT because I ended tired of a few annoyances Novag Citrine has. I am curious if citrine owners also have them and how they solve:

1) When connecting to PC, If you place black on the botton and notify this to citrine, you can play black ok, but if you misplace a piece the citrine enter in a wrong verify mode and can not continue. It looks like a factory bug. Most people flip phisically the board to avoid this. My citrine is v1.00, I dont know if this issue has been fixed in newer version (maybe somebody in the forum can confirm this).

2) The other annoyed thing is the way captures are executed. You must take first the moved pieced, then the captured piece and finaly place moved piece in target square. This is quite annoyed (people usually take captured piece first when play chess). You will need time to get used to this.

3) I know same units sometimes when you raise a piece citrine does not recognize it. Some people solve this with other supply adapter. For me it has not solve it. Anyway it happens very rare and it is a annoyed way to continue: Place the extra piece on the square and the moved piece into the target squeare, now the move is recognized and you only have to remove the extra piece from original square.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

vb4 wrote:Hi Steve,

Aren't you forgetting one very important chess dedicated machine ?? <s>

Les
Hi Les
sorry for replying so late ...
i seemed to have missed your question
a very important chess dedicated machine for future release or in the past?
there were many historical and important dedicated chess computers released over the years but other then the Phoenix computers (and the soon to be released Phoenix-DGT computer )i already mentioned ..i cant think of anything else

Pondering Regards
Steve