Glass 1.7 release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PK

Glass 1.7 release

Post by PK »

Glass 1.7 by Edmund Moshammer and Pawel Koziol is back at www.marittima.pl/glass

After a break of over one year I am glad to announce the release of Glass 1.7. Apart from a playing strength increase, Glass offers multiple personalities with different playing styles and strength ranging from 2400 Elo to outright suicidal. My personal favourite to play on a bad day is Ogre (weak, attack-minded, likes pawn storms) and to practice before an important game I'd pick Defender (strong, slightly passive, likes restraining opponent, goes out of its way to prevent opponent's attack). Please note that strength reduction features do not work with tournament compile and use them with "weak" version only!

The project has been dormant for many months, but then things begun changing at a rapid pace. First of all, several bugs have been fixed (see glass.pdf for gory details). Then a general code cleanup came, during which a few possibilities of improving the program were exposed. Current Glass uses simplified quiescence move generator (which gives a nice speed boost) and hybrid move ordering (history near the root, pcsq near the leaves).

At one point we took a risk of massive change of many eval parameters at the same time, in order to escape from a local optimum, which surprisingly worked. We also improved our testing methodology, using LittleBlitzer (thank you, Nathan Thom) to run ultra-fast games. Finally, Edmund enabled Glass to take advantage of 64-bit environment.

New version uses much more aggressive pruning than ever before, finally reaching some sort of equilibrium. Techniques that were disadvantageous at shallower depths finally started to bring dividends. In the last screening match previous version has been outsearched by 2 plies on average and got a sound beating (65,5%, corresponding to over 100 Elo difference).

Distribution packet comes with:

Glass_1.7 64-bit edition
Glass_1.7 tournament edition
Glass_1.7 weak edition
personality files
pdf document about Glass
opening book

In 2-3 weeks larger opening book will be released

Enjoy!

Pawel Koziol
fern

Re: Glass 1.7 release

Post by fern »

Thank you, pals, I downloaded and I will play a game against his best personality to get an idea of his features.
Fern
fern

Post by fern »

Thank you, pals, I downloaded and I will play a game against his best personality to get an idea of his features.
Fern
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

PK wrote:Glass 1.7 by Edmund Moshammer and Pawel Koziol is back at www.marittima.pl/glass
Excellent news. Thanks to you both for sharing your efforts with us. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

Cannort run it in arena or elsewhere. A message say there vis not preente MSVCR100-dll

Can you help me?

Fern
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

fern wrote:Cannort run it in arena or elsewhere. A message say there vis not preente MSVCR100-dll

Can you help me?

Fern
http://www.dll-files.com/msvcr100.zip?0WDdPIYDiS

Unzip it and copy the dll file in the Glass 1.7 folder.

Cheers.
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks, it worked!!

Fern
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Hello Fernando

Glad it is working now. Seems like I accidently only made the x64 tournament version a static compile (ie. not requiring any external files). Thanks Aser for posting the quick fix.

Fernando, please make sure to use the "weak" version when playing against Glass. It allowes you to use a broader scope of personality settings, which can make play a lot more interesting.

I hope you enjoy the program and I am looking forward to your feedback!

Edmund
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

Graham Banks wrote:
PK wrote:Glass 1.7 by Edmund Moshammer and Pawel Koziol is back at www.marittima.pl/glass
Excellent news. Thanks to you both for sharing your efforts with us. :)
Graham, its a pleasure. Looking forward to see the new version participating in your tournaments.

Edmund
PK

Post by PK »

just in case, I've added the problematic dll to the distribution package.