RIP for my Superconnie

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: RIP for my Superconnie

Post by fern »

I think not. Once I was trying to revive the criature the SC flashed all the lights, situation that in the booklet is considered a proof that something is wrong with the computer. I believe the adaptor resisted, but not the lot more delicare circuits of the SC. If the adaptor was wrong no power had reached the SC and it did, or not lights at all. Then it is the electronic board which went belly up.

Waiting the firing squad regards
Fern
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote:Waiting the firing squad regards
Fern
For destroying countless numbers of fine legendary dedicated chess computer's..
The Elders sentence you to be shot until dead by a Circular Firing Squad made up of our most prominent members

Fire!

Doh! Regards
Steve
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:
Fern
The Elders sentence you to be shot until dead by a Circular Firing Squad made up of our most prominent members

Fire!

Doh! Regards
Steve
But he's a close friend Steve,please give him
one more dedicated unit to destroy regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fern

Fire!

Doh! Regards
Steve
Dr.D
Cant Move Dr. D
Shot in the Leg and Arm by another prominent member

Circular Regards
Steve
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fern

Fire!

Doh! Regards
Steve
Dr.D
Cant Move Dr. D
Shot in the Leg and Arm by another prominent member

Circular Regards
Steve
Hmmm....I thought that you should aim at the
center regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

Hey man, it was only a simulacrum? I am still alive and in misery.

Give the coup de grace shot reegards
Fern
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

fern wrote:I think not. Once I was trying to revive the criature the SC flashed all the lights, situation that in the booklet is considered a proof that something is wrong with the computer. I believe the adaptor resisted, but not the lot more delicare circuits of the SC. If the adaptor was wrong no power had reached the SC and it did, or not lights at all. Then it is the electronic board which went belly up.

Waiting the firing squad regards
Fern

Alas, it seems that the adapter is much more rugged than what is sold nowdays.

I'm sorry for your loss. Perhaps Steve can be persuaded to reconsider, provided he survives the crossfire. Circular firing squad :lol:

Kevlar regards,
Adam
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Fernando ducked at the last moment, because he saw a peso lying on the floor. Now he is planning to buy the complete chesscomputer collections of all the Firing squad members that were shot, with this coin. He thought that was a very generous offer. Now Steve is chasing him with a saber around the house. Fernando had put on his best bathing trunks for the occassion of his shooting and runs just a bit faster than slightly wounded Steve in his tuxedo. Fernando dives into the pool. Ken Thompson throws his alligator into the pool. Fenando climbs out again, chased by the now fully grow 8 meter long gator that takes a bite out of his red swimming gear. Fernando climbs over the fence. Women in the next yard start screaming. Fernando keeps running with the alligator dangling at his behind. Ken Thompson has to save Steve from drowning in Fenando's pool. His suit is ruined. There is a peso, forgotten, glittering in the sunlight, at the bottom of the pool.

See you later, transformator regards,

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Even if it is not the adaptor, usually it should be quite simple to fix. Any electronics shop should be able to fix it. Usually it is a capacitor or a resistor that has gone bust, and they are easy to change even if it is not an exact match. The only problem would be if some of the IC's are burnt and they may be too old to have replacements, but even then you would be surprised as some IC's might be compatible with some newer ones. I give it a 90% chance of revival if taken to a competent electronics shop. So Fern don't dig the grave yet!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Usually expensive computer equipment was built with an over-voltage protection, a 'transzorb' component connected between the regulated DC supply wirings, which essentially was a fast Zehner diode for a voltage slightly above the nominal one. When this voltage would be exceeded (or the polarity flipped) this would essentially cause a short-circuit, often frying the diode so it becomes a permanent short-circuit.

If, however, there was a voltage regulator on the PC board, like 7805 or 7812, it is hard to believe that doubling the voltage could have caused much damage. These regulators can handle upto 30V on their inputs, and I think they automatically start limiting the current when they overheat. More likely you fried the trans former in the adapter, melting the wiring. The iron yoke of transformers is usually dimensioned such that the peak magnetic field in themisclose to saturating the iron. So doubling the voltage would exceed the saturation value, making the inductance drop to almost zero, putting the full voltage over the ohmic resistance of the wire of the primary coil, almost certainly melting it, as it is very inefficiently cooled.