What hardware for WCCC 2011 in Tilburg?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

What hardware for WCCC 2011 in Tilburg?

Post by stegemma »

I would like to know what kind of hardware can be used in WCCC 2011 in Tilburg. I would like to subscribe my new software to that tournament. I have to start rewriting almost all of the program and i've opted for MAC OSX platform. I'm new to Mac programming (i think this is a good reason to start developing on it) so i don't want to work hard on it just to find that the WCCC requires windows or linux machines.

Another related question: is WinBoard/UCI interface mandatory in chess programs for WCCC? I would like to use my own interface.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: What hardware for WCCC 2011 in Tilburg?

Post by hgm »

For the WCCC you can use whatever hardware you want, and whatever interface you want. It s an OTB tournament,where operators have to perform the moves in woodware.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

I thought there was hardware limits? Remember there being no limits and some people brought some truly Big Iron, but a couple (several?) years ago they limited it to 16 cores, think I read it's even down to 8 now?

Curious myself as I'm a bit out of touch.
bob

Post by bob »

jshriver wrote:I thought there was hardware limits? Remember there being no limits and some people brought some truly Big Iron, but a couple (several?) years ago they limited it to 16 cores, think I read it's even down to 8 now?

So far as I know, there are no limits any longer. At least I have not seen any mentioned since that one last-minute change a few years back you mentioned...
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

bob wrote:
jshriver wrote:I thought there was hardware limits? Remember there being no limits and some people brought some truly Big Iron, but a couple (several?) years ago they limited it to 16 cores, think I read it's even down to 8 now?

So far as I know, there are no limits any longer. At least I have not seen any mentioned since that one last-minute change a few years back you mentioned...
IIRC, the main event was limited hardware, and then there was an open hardware section. Can't remember if that was a proposal or if it ended up that way. The ICGA site seems opaque on such details.
Matthew Hull
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

No, the tourney was split into two. The WCCC has unlimited hardware. There is a new "World Software Championship" that has limited hardware. Both will take place inTilburg, and are scheduled such you can register for both.