Houdini sponsored by ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Please help: Avid Elixir 7 vs. Houdini 2.0 and others?

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hello George,

for me the time is over to be serious in public discussion about topics the community massacre itself. And not only the normally users comes with blamable postings, same opinion I have from good known companies in things he do in a very important situation for our hobby.

Its a pity what I read from so many users to my hobby. I gave so many time and energy in so many years. But nobody can managed the bad situation in times today. It is every time interesting to see what the humans do if they are alone in front of the own PC. Internet is very danger for so many people.

Deep Saros:
The playing style is interesting for myself. I think each engine need a own face. This point is an order for each programmer in times all secrets about programming are well known.

Own ideas by programmers to special points of chess programming will give an engine an own face.

So, which special ideas are included in Deep Saros. Don't need information about programmings, I need information about the playing style, strengths and weaknesses.

Hope I understand your postings and hope that I wrote not things which have nothing to do with your answers.

Best
Frank

Playing Style: It is, or will be, by month's end the most humanlike program ever seen. The author gives a shitload more importance to egtb than I do. No one has ever seen an unbeatable engine with 10 times the human characteristics of Hiarcs. For analysis, the above speaks for itself. Now, what do I actually know? The same as you. As for weaknesses, not any if it ends up being a free download. To buy it? That takes the discussion into areas where the weak do not tread, and the strong tread lightly.

gts
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi George,

at first, thanks for your impressions.
I never try to find out more about Deep Saros. I will give this engine a first look in the upcoming SWCR-64 tourney middle of November.

In the time before I need more engines in both list (SWCR-32, SWCR-64) for a better mixed calculation in SWCR of all games. On this point I am working in September after the still running SWCR-32 tourney. After this one the "Oldie-Mix-Tourney" will be start. A long idea I abort for three months because I have problems with much older engines and no time to check that.

So I collect so far the next SWCR-64 update tourney. Here with Komodo 3.0, now Deep Saros, the latest IvanHoe and perhaps I test official the latest Robbolito too. Need an information how many stronger others are as Robbolito 0.9.

If you have interest on it you can follow my selection "ToDo, History". At the moment I can't update my page, will do it nex week Monday.

Best
Frank
geots

Post by geots »

But this discussion may die a quick death if Rybka has to be defended. Just so there is no misunderstanding there, I stand with Larry Kaufman's assessment: What Rybka took from Fruit probably saved Vas maybe two weeks to a month or so of work. Did anything from Fruit contribute to Rybka's strength? No. That all came from Vas' spectacular ingenuity.

But that's no fun to hear. Like the news credo: If you want it to lead, then it has to bleed.

It makes us feel better about ourselves to be able to tear another person down so he is less than we are.

You ever read "The Justification of Justice." Or was it "For Justice"? My age- the mind is the first to go.

gts
geots

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi George,

at first, thanks for your impressions.
I never try to find out more about Deep Saros. I will give this engine a first look in the upcoming SWCR-64 tourney middle of November.

In the time before I need more engines in both list (SWCR-32, SWCR-64) for a better mixed calculation in SWCR of all games. On this point I am working in September after the still running SWCR-32 tourney. After this one the "Oldie-Mix-Tourney" will be start. A long idea I abort for three months because I have problems with much older engines and no time to check that.

So I collect so far the next SWCR-64 update tourney. Here with Komodo 3.0, now Deep Saros, the latest IvanHoe and perhaps I test official the latest Robbolito too. Need an information how many stronger others are as Robbolito 0.9.

If you have interest on it you can follow my selection "ToDo, History". At the moment I can't update my page, will do it nex week Monday.

Best
Frank

I have read your "ToDo, History", Frank. I have always been a half-step ahead of you. You have to learn to catch up.

But I would sit still and let you catch up with me if I can dissect from you the logic of testing Ivanhoe, DeepSaros and Robbolito, but at the same time banning engines from any company that sells Rybka. That's a hell of a tough sell- but I'm game to give you a shot.

As long aaaaaaasssssss.............................. I don't have to hear how communists don't believe in capitalism. :roll:

gts
Frank Quisinsky

Hi George,

I never wrote that I will not test newer Rybka's or Houdini's, Fritz versions. I wrote that I don't have an own private interest on these group of engines. If an user have interest to see these engines in SWCR, this user should pay for it and I test it.

8 matches are running since 2 years to the same time. If I am looking in the games, I look only in matches from engines I have an bigger interest. In the latest three weeks I am looking in matches from GullChess, Umko and IvanHoe because I never gave this engines an exactly look. Very interesting for myself. From these group of three engines most interesting I think is Umko which have nice ideas in strategics.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi George,

1. Rybka's strong performance and own ideas by the programmers is one point of view.

2. What a long years number 1 programmer do for his customers and gave on information to his own customers is a second point of view.

Houdini:

1. Houdini's strong performance and own ideas by the programmers is one point of view.

2. "All is from myself" ... what he wrote in OpenChess fora is a second point of view.

3. Positive = He give each time interesting information to his users. He do a lot, this one I like!

Look in my posting before ...
In this times very important is: FORTHRIGHTNESS
That's my main point, same I await from others.

Best
Frank
geots

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi George,

1. Rybka's strong performance and own ideas by the programmers is one point of view.

2. What a long years number 1 programmer do for his customers and gave on information to his own customers is a second point of view.

Houdini:

1. Houdini's strong performance and own ideas by the programmers is one point of view.

2. "All is from myself" ... what he wrote in OpenChess fora is a second point of view.

3. Positive = He give each time interesting information to his users. He do a lot, this one I like!

Look in my posting before ...
In this times very important is: FORTHRIGHTNESS
That's my main point, same I await from others.

Best
Frank

See, Frank. I tell you you never gets yourself in fix until you try and use logic. Logic never makes good sense. hahahahahahahahahaha It is called "sleight of mind".

gts

PS: Why does my computer ALWAYS try to crash when I answer one of your threads? Is some kind of kinetic trick? It "huff" and it "puff" and then it "whew". Little curl of smoke and I have to leave ice wrapped in towel for 10 minutes.