pre-announcement: 10x8 tourney

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

pre-announcement: 10x8 tourney

Post by hgm »

I intend to do another 'Battle-of-the-Goths' tournament for 10x8 Chess (Capablanca, Gothic, Carrera, Bird, Embassy) with live broadcasting of the games. Since the previous event there are two new engines capable of playing this, (Nebiyu and Spartacus) both ranking between or even above the previous best (Joker80 and SMIRF). This in itself would make it worthwhile to do a new tournament.

That means we can already be sure of the following partcipants:

Nebiyu
Spartacus
Joker80
SMIRF
TJchess10x8
TSCP Gothic
Fairy-Max
ChessV
BigLion
ArchBishop

The tournament will probably be held in December 2011 or January 2012.

I am making this pre-announcement to offer other engine authors the opportunity to join in with a 10x8 version of their engine.
Evert

Re: pre-announcement: 10x8 tourney

Post by Evert »

Looks like I need to get back to work on BigSjaak. :twisted:
hgm

Post by hgm »

That would be great! :wink:
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:Image

I intend to do another 'Battle-of-the-Goths' tournament for 10x8 Chess (Capablanca, Gothic, Carrera, Bird, Embassy) with live broadcasting of the games. Since the previous event there are two new engines capable of playing this, (Nebiyu and Spartacus) both ranking between or even above the previous best (Joker80 and SMIRF). This in itself would make it worthwhile to do a new tournament.

That means we can already be sure of the following partcipants:

Nebiyu
Spartacus
Joker80
SMIRF
TJchess10x8
TSCP Gothic
Fairy-Max
ChessV
BigLion
ArchBishop

The tournament will probably be held in December 2011 or January 2012.

I am making this pre-announcement to offer other engine authors the opportunity to join in with a 10x8 version of their engine.
Started building here capablanca chess, this is interesting. Hope it will be ready by December.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Wow! It would be wondeful to have your engine partcipate!
smrf

Post by smrf »

Well, H.G., so I will try to reinspect my 10x8 Smirf.
But I am not sure, whether its strength could increase.
This initial engine of mine is based on outdated concepts.

Reinhard.
hgm

Post by hgm »

No progress with your Octopus project, yet?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Which of those can be downloaded for testing that support 10x8 board size?

Regarding the variants in engine-intf.html
... board size plus holdings size, like 8x8+0_capablanca or 10x8+7_capablanca
What do holding size mean?
Would it be just fine if I use
printf("feature variants=\"capablanca\"\n");
as reply to protover command?

What I intend to support is that in the beginning of the game the Archbishop will be located between the knight and bishop at queen side, and the Chancellor will be located in between Bishop and knight in the king side.
I use this as reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_chess.
How castling is done? Is winboard able to handle a fen for this variant?
Thank you.
hgm

Post by hgm »

The FxR+H_ prefix is only used when a board size is used that is not standard for the variant of the given name (so 16x16+0_normal would be normal Chess on a 16x16 board, and 8x8+5_knightmate would be a crazyhouse version of knightmate, because it specifies holdings>0,and holdings is the number of piece types you can hold in hand after capturing them to drop back onto the board). As we are interested only in standard Capablanca Chess, (i.e. on 10x8 board) feature variant="capablanca" would be fine.

During the tourney I will probably play gothic as capablanca with a setup position, because not all engines support "gothic" (it used to be patented, but the patent expired now). For the other initial setups (Carrera, Bird reverse Embassy) I would have to do that anyway.

WinBoard does handle Capablanca FENs (A for ArchBishop, C for Chancellor, "10"for 10 empty squares, KQkq for castling rights). So you can support setboard to receive them (the obsolete edit command would work as well; Fairy-Max still uses that). It is important to be able to handle setup positions, as some of the games will be played from positions other than the standard Capablanca opening. (Like last time we will probably play 10 games per pairing, 5 different opening setups with both colors. This is a good way to guarantee different games even for engines that have no book.)

Castling is done by moving the King 3 steps towards the Rook, and in XBoard protocol is denoted as f1i1 (king side) or f1c1 (queen side). WinBoard will also understand O-O and O-O-O (and any SAN, in fact), but it will send long algebraic unless the engine requested feature san=1 (which I would not recommended). I will only use starting positions where the Kings are on f1/f8.
smrf

Post by smrf »

hgm wrote:No progress with your Octopus project, yet?
SMIRF is outdated, nevertheless I am trying to extinguish some bad properties there.

In general my motivation to do chess programming has been violated severely. Thus my investigations in chess programming have been downgraded massivly and mostly are focussed elsewhere than in practice. E.g. I have found out (merely for myself, but not only me) null move heuristic to be an inconsistent idea, as you can experience in Zugzwang positions. First I tried to repair that by introducing a special answer null move (not simply allowing double null moves), which is working fine and has solved the Zugzwang problem. But null move pruning still remains the wrong approach.

The reviewed SMIRF thus will no longer use that null move heuristic. Instead this has been replaced by parts of a better idea. Unfortunately this now is somehow in concurrence to the existing internal intelligence feed back method. Thus the benefit of this exchange is not that big and partially covered by that in big parts probably now redundant old SMIRF basic idea. Anyway abandoning null move pruning here has not been a lost.

The follow up project to SMIRF has the name Octopus (which will change soon into a shorter four letter name). It is growing very slowly. And it is done creating a monochrome approach, completely symmetric for both parties Black and White, which only are occurring at the interface to the outer world.

I mentioned both themes partially within a German language forum. There has been rarely interest. Thus I better keep those things private and slow.

For your event I will then release a renewed SMIRF bonus engine.

Reinhard.