How Many of You Still Play -even not much- a dedicated unit?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

How Many of You Still Play -even not much- a dedicated unit?

Post by fern »

If you have one hidden in a closet,. I advice you to take it out, undust it and play it if still works; the pleasures that they gives cannot be supplied by engines. It is not only the pleasant fact you have chances to win, but the experience in itself.
A screen will always be only a screen even if you try to cover the fact with a real board at the side of the computer.

Losing miserably my time regards
Fern
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: How Many of You Still Play -even not much- a dedicated u

Post by JuLieN »

fern wrote:If you have one hidden in a closet,. I advice you to take it out, undust it and play it if still works; the pleasures that they gives cannot be supplied by engines. It is not only the pleasant fact you have chances to win, but the experience in itself.
A screen will always be only a screen even if you try to cover the fact with a real board at the side of the computer.

Fern
I do! :D Also I take the sadistic pleasure to see my chess engine crush them. :oops: Although some strong dedicated units still resist it... which is a great embarrassment, considering the horse power my computer has, and is a big source of motivation to keep improving it.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Rarely I play the Novag Citrine.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:Rarely I play the Novag Citrine.

Strange Ted....it's a fine piece of gig :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D
Sadly Doc, I wish I still owned a Novag Sapphire. It was my most favorite of all. I could take it with me anywhere.

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:If you have one hidden in a closet,. I advice you to take it out, undust it and play it if still works; the pleasures that they gives cannot be supplied by engines. It is not only the pleasant fact you have chances to win, but the experience in itself.

Fern
Fern,I deeply admire your point of view related to the topic....

As for myself I have a different philosophy:
I am an eng-eng tester and a rating list builder as many computer chess freaks do nowadays with one big exception:
I play hundreds & hundreds of chess engines and their updated versions in my running tournaments and include myself in the my private rating list....this means that I play seroius chess games with big concentration producing a beautiful chess games which I collect in a separate database,I improve my opening theory and watch myself going up and down in my rating list....that's what charges me through the last 10 years or so :D
You can call me a freak but a happy freak I am regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D
Sadly Doc, I wish I still owned a Novag Sapphire. It was my most favorite of all. I could take it with me anywhere.
So what happened Ted :!: :?:
Don't tell me it passed away :shock:
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D
Aha, at last it went the way of the Dodo :cry:

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D
Aha, at last it went the way of the Dodo :cry:
Sad but true....
Metallica sends their regards,
Dr.D
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Fern
Fern,I deeply admire your point of view related to the topic....

As for myself I have a different philosophy:
I am an eng-eng tester and a rating list builder as many computer chess freaks do nowadays with one big exception:
I play hundreds & hundreds of chess engines and their updated versions in my running tournaments and include myself in the my private rating list....this means that I play seroius chess games with big concentration producing a beautiful chess games which I collect in a separate database,I improve my opening theory and watch myself going up and down in my rating list....that's what charges me through the last 10 years or so :D
You can call me a freak but a happy freak I am regards,
Dr.D
I also did this with chessmaster personalities in my stundent years.

Now I have a novag citrine that I rarely use and a DGT which I often use to play online slow games, and sometimes against my engine.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/