How Many of You Still Play -even not much- a dedicated unit?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: How Many of You Still Play -even not much- a dedicated u

Post by AdminX »

Kempelen wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
fern wrote:If you have one hidden in a closet,. I advice you to take it out, undust it and play it if still works; the pleasures that they gives cannot be supplied by engines. It is not only the pleasant fact you have chances to win, but the experience in itself.
A screen will always be only a screen even if you try to cover the fact with a real board at the side of the computer.

Losing miserably my time regards
Fern
Fern,I deeply admire your point of view related to the topic....

As for myself I have a different philosophy:
I am an eng-eng tester and a rating list builder as many computer chess freaks do nowadays with one big exception:
I play hundreds & hundreds of chess engines and their updated versions in my running tournaments and include myself in the my private rating list....this means that I play seroius chess games with big concentration producing a beautiful chess games which I collect in a separate database,I improve my opening theory and watch myself going up and down in my rating list....that's what charges me through the last 10 years or so :D
You can call me a freak but a happy freak I am regards,
Dr.D
I also did this with chessmaster personalities in my stundent years.

Now I have a novag citrine that I rarely use and a DGT which I often use to play online slow games, and sometimes against my engine.
Same here! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Kempelen wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
fern wrote:If you have one hidden in a closet,. I advice you to take it out, undust it and play it if still works; the pleasures that they gives cannot be supplied by engines. It is not only the pleasant fact you have chances to win, but the experience in itself.
A screen will always be only a screen even if you try to cover the fact with a real board at the side of the computer.

Fern
Fern,I deeply admire your point of view related to the topic....

As for myself I have a different philosophy:
I am an eng-eng tester and a rating list builder as many computer chess freaks do nowadays with one big exception:
I play hundreds & hundreds of chess engines and their updated versions in my running tournaments and include myself in the my private rating list....this means that I play seroius chess games with big concentration producing a beautiful chess games which I collect in a separate database,I improve my opening theory and watch myself going up and down in my rating list....that's what charges me through the last 10 years or so :D
You can call me a freak but a happy freak I am regards,
Dr.D
I also did this with chessmaster personalities in my stundent years.

Now I have a novag citrine that I rarely use and a DGT which I often use to play online slow games, and sometimes against my engine.
Well I always try to find time for this serious addiction of mine....

Sometimes I have the desire and the stamina to play 10-12 games in one week just to make a pause of 2-3months till I find the and the desire again,but hey,that's just life....
Dr.D

P.S.I am one of the few happy guys whose their wives don't cause them so much trouble because of this crazy hobby....desides I have only one boy who is also dedicated to computers and has his own virtual life :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Fern
Well for me i guess it is the opposite
i do have 1 PC chess engine hidden in the closet
AI Chess by Marty Hircsh
on 5.25" floppy disk no less
i might still also have Zarkov..i think that is on 3.5" disks
dont have any computers that can run them though...

Coming Out Regards
Steve
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Hope you're happy now Fern.

"Thanks" to this post I payed a visit to my parent's house and got back my old novag super forte c

http://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/chescom/NovSF.jpg

It's a bit dusty, but it seems to be in order, whic was a bit of a surprise for me (it hasn't been used for a lot of years (15? 20?), and the high humidity of the climate of my region is not that good for electronics).

In the next days I'll try to get some time to play a couple of games, but I suspect I'll get crushed (yes, I know this is not one of these modern elo monster, but I remember it was strong enougth po play a more than decent game).

Regards
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:

Fern
AI Chess by Marty Hircsh

Coming Out Regards
Steve
A chess engine on a 5.25'' floppy disk :shock:
You're kidding us Steve,right :!: :?:

If not,I shall apply an official complain here in the forum the outcome of which will be to confiscate all your
rare dedicated chess units regards,
Dr.D

P.S.what a disrespectfull manner toward the plus 1000 chess engines out there :cry:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Fern
AI Chess by Marty Hircsh

Coming Out Regards
Steve

If not,I shall apply an official complain here in the forum the outcome of which will be to confiscate all your
Dr.D

P.S.what a disrespectfull manner toward the plus 1000 chess engines out there :cry:
Yup.. Floppy Dr. D.
in fact i think i also have Chessmaster 2000 on Floppy
we are talking the mid 1980's here
Three Decades Ago Regards
Steve
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

Fern
Fern,

Much to the dismay of my wife, I have still several goodies in my closet, such as a Fidelity Avantgarde V.7, Saitek Renaissance with Analyst D++ Modul, Mephisto Bavaria with several modules (Vancouver, Magellan etc.), a Novag Super Expert C, a CXG Chess 3008, a Fidelity Prestige, a Chafitz ARB Sargon 2.5, among a handful others. Unfortunately, I do not find the time to play with them; I often wonder how other people manage to do it. I guess you have life with your mother all life long, or as you do, lazily writing one book every 5 years and getting incredible rich doing so or send the kids working.
:shock:
I still hope to unpack my chess computers one day, probably after retirement (which will be with ~90 years, as the pensions will be worth nothing soon).

Dusty computer chess regards,
Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
fern

Post by fern »

Axel, it is a SHAME that such valuable and pretty computers as you have are sleeping in a closet.....
take them out immediately, clean them, polish them and play them!!

Time there is all the time. If you discount the time you expend for nothing watching TV, going to no much useful fitness activities in the country, walking along the paths of the next park and all that, certainly you have time for a good 40 moves/ one hour game.
BTW, I do not write a book each 5 years, but 5 books a year just to put a hot meal once a day in my table.

from a painful job condition regards
Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Fern
AI Chess by Marty Hircsh

Coming Out Regards
Steve

Dr.D

Yup.. Floppy Dr. D.
in fact i think i also have Chessmaster 2000 on Floppy
we are talking the mid 1980's here
Three Decades Ago Regards
Steve
You're the king of the dedicated chess units Steve....I like you that way buddy :D
To hell with my avalanche of countless chess engines regards,
Dr.D
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

fern wrote:Axel, it is a SHAME that such valuable and pretty computers as you have are sleeping in a closet.....
take them out immediately, clean them, polish them and play them!!

Time there is all the time. If you discount the time you expend for nothing watching TV, going to no much useful fitness activities in the country, walking along the paths of the next park and all that, certainly you have time for a good 40 moves/ one hour game.
BTW, I do not write a book each 5 years, but 5 books a year just to put a hot meal once a day in my table.

from a painful job condition regards
Fern
Fern,

I do not watch TV, cannot find the time for it (its no loss anyway), I also have not done any fitness activities since I'm married...there s simply no time to play chess. I know its hard to understand for somebody who is used to have a dozend servants, who dust your chess computers inbetween backrubs. (Remember, your last publisher commited suicide waiting for your latest book all these years..). And..Fern. writing a new thread in CTF does NOT count as 'book published'.
Also, I have three girls at home who think that playing with chess computers is the most useless, despicable thing on earth (next to xenocide); in opposite to shopping for shoes, which clearly has priority. Recently they build an electric fence around may closet and my Fidelity Phantom was booby-trapped. As a last measure, I started to write 2 books too, so I hope to have warm meals in the future too, from time to time. The only drawback is that I do not find enough time to write, so it may take decades...

Time stays, we go regards,
Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx