WCCC registration form is online

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rémi Coulom

WCCC registration form is online

Post by Rémi Coulom »

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/e ... .php?id=57
Deadline for early registration is October 12th. Entry fees are doubled after that date.

Rémi
jshriver

Re: WCCC registration form is online

Post by jshriver »

Will the tournament be viewable online for free? FICS relay? ICC guest account?

-Josh
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

jshriver wrote:Will the tournament be viewable online for free? FICS relay? ICC guest account?

-Josh
Live broadcast is planned for chess. Probably with Harm Geert's system.

Rémi
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Neat thanks for the quick reply as well :)

-Josh
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The form is a docx file, and I cannot read that format... Can't you post something more compatible? Like html or plain text?
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

hgm wrote:The form is a docx file, and I cannot read that format... Can't you post something more compatible? Like html or plain text?
I don't understand where you found a docx file. The form is in html. You have to fill it, and send a mail. There is no docx file on the web site.

Rémi
hgm

Post by hgm »

Oh, sorry, I had not seen the link you posted here. I was looking at the ICGA website, and there the have a link to a registration form that is docx. Your form will do nicely, however.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Now that I have seen the registration form, I have a few questions about the registration fees.

1) Is the Computer Olympiad now a single event? Last year I participated in the Olympiad for Xiangqi, Shogi and mini-Shogi, and they charged me three times the entry fee (which was 25 Euro at the time, I believe).
2) If one registers for WCCC, will the Olympiad be free, like the WCSC would be free?

As all specified entry fees now include a 1-year ICGA membership, and I obviously only need between zero and one of those, it would seem highly unreasonable to make people pay the membership twice...

This year I would like to participate for Xiangqi and Shogi (seems there is no mini-Shogi), but I have no intension to pay two times 100 Euro. The magnitude of the WCCC and WCSC each individually exceed the sum total of the all Olympiad activities. If past events can be an indication, we would already be lucky if there will be two Shogi participants, and they can perhaps play 4 games against each other on an afternoon. The Xiangi tournament usually lasts two afternoons. Together that is not even half the number of playing minutes a participant of WCCC gets. So it already seems highly unfair to request the same contribution for an Olympiad participant that competes for two such games as from a WCCC participant. And the WCCC participant gets a free opportunity to participate in the WCSC at no effort to himself (he is allowed to use the same program...), not to mention the blitz tourney.

I understand the ICGA's need to generate revenue, but I have major misgivings if the Olympiad participants would be made to pay the majority of the fees for an event that in fact will be >70% Chess.
Rémi Coulom

Post by Rémi Coulom »

hgm wrote:Now that I have seen the registration form, I have a few questions about the registration fees.

1) Is the Computer Olympiad now a single event? Last year I participated in the Olympiad for Xiangqi, Shogi and mini-Shogi, and they charged me three times the entry fee (which was 25 Euro at the time, I believe).
2) If one registers for WCCC, will the Olympiad be free, like the WCSC would be free?

As all specified entry fees now include a 1-year ICGA membership, and I obviously only need between zero and one of those, it would seem highly unreasonable to make people pay the membership twice...

This year I would like to participate for Xiangqi and Shogi (seems there is no mini-Shogi), but I have no intension to pay two times 100 Euro. The magnitude of the WCCC and WCSC each individually exceed the sum total of the all Olympiad activities. If past events can be an indication, we would already be lucky if there will be two Shogi participants, and they can perhaps play 4 games against each other on an afternoon. The Xiangi tournament usually lasts two afternoons. Together that is not even half the number of playing minutes a participant of WCCC gets. So it already seems highly unfair to request the same contribution for an Olympiad participant that competes for two such games as from a WCCC participant. And the WCCC participant gets a free opportunity to participate in the WCSC at no effort to himself (he is allowed to use the same program...), not to mention the blitz tourney.

I understand the ICGA's need to generate revenue, but I have major misgivings if the Olympiad participants would be made to pay the majority of the fees for an event that in fact will be >70% Chess.
The list of tournaments of the Olympiad is not restrictive. That's why I added the " Any other if enough competitors" option. Please register to as many games as you wish. You can pay your registration later, depending on whether the tournament takes place or not.

Regarding participation in multiple tournaments, I will forward your message to Jaap.

Rémi