Two years without Shredder

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Sie müssen zahlen!

Post by mclane »

du sollst gott nicht in bildern darstellen.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
rlsuth

Re: Sie müssen zahlen!

Post by rlsuth »

Sylwy wrote: Wollen Sie wirklich eine neue Shredder? Ein guter? Über Houdini?
So, Sie müssen zahlen! Viel Geld! Ungefähr ein Kilogramm von Euro für jede Kopie. Der Kopie-Schutz wird auch wild und unbesiegbar sein. Keine Freunde, das Teilen, Knacken, Flicken, Befestigen, Hacken, Rybking, Robolliting, Houdining............... und so weiter!
Lassen Sie mich bitte wissen!
Do you really want a new shredder? A good one? Better than Houdini?
Then you have to pay! A lot of money! Approximately one kilogram of € for each copy. The copy-protection will be fierce and invincible. No friends, sharing, cracking, patching, fixing, hacking, Rybking, Robolliting, Houdining ............... and so on!
Let me know please!
lkaufman

Re: Two years without Shredder

Post by lkaufman »

fern wrote:We have seen this before. Programmers, as anybody else, reach a limit of his interest and/or capability to stay in the top. Shredder since long time was not anymore the top one. That is morally destructive.
Also it could happens, like I hope, that Stephan is engaged in a massive effort to recover his position.
Maybe Stephan has derived his talent to a more lucrative are.
Maybe a mix of all that, who knows...

Fern
That may often be true, but I note that Don Dailey has been at chess programming for 25 years (true, with a gap in the middle), and "his interest and capability to stay in the top" seems to be increasing, as Komodo will shortly be number 1. If you count me as a chess programmer it's 45 years!
fern

Post by fern »

Of course every generalization has its exceptions. Picasso painted to the day of his death and Haydn composed marvelous music when well into old age, BUT the normal thing is you lose some stamina around 50 or 60 or even before if luck is not with you, money is also absent and you have to eat the same.
happy with don and yours longevity, but, also, you both are not that old at all :-)

Fern
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

fern wrote:Of course every generalization has its exceptions. Picasso painted to the day of his death and Haydn composed marvelous music when well into old age, BUT the normal thing is you lose some stamina around 50 or 60 or even before if luck is not with you, money is also absent and you have to eat the same.
happy with don and yours longevity, but, also, you both are not that old at all :-)

Fern
Thanks, but I thought we were talking about people losing interest and/or not keeping up with developments after some years, not about the effect of age per se. My point is not that Don and I are immune from the effects of age, but that we haven't gotten bored with computer chess after 25 and 45 years respectively.
Leto

Post by Leto »

I think his match with Hydra devastated him and he never recovered from it.
fern

Post by fern »

well, that's great and obvious looking at the results, but again, you are exceptions. Just look around you and count how many still young people has left the field because they considered to be already superseded or because they got better jobs elsewhere or just because they felt they had not anymore new ideas substantially better.
Creativity is rare and still more with time.
In the meantime, we are all waiting the realization of your claim: Komodo getting first place.If only had another, better name :-)

Fern
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Thank you !

Post by Sylwy »

rlsuth wrote:
Do you really want a new shredder? A good one? Better than Houdini?
Then you have to pay! A lot of money! Approximately one kilogram of € for each copy. The copy-protection will be fierce and invincible. No friends, sharing, cracking, patching, fixing, hacking, Rybking, Robolliting, Houdining ............... and so on!
Let me know please!
Thank you Richard for your accurate translation ! Shredder ( together with Chessmaster :lol: ) is my sweet heart in computer chess. And not from yesterday. Hard for me to focus on English when Shredder is in my mind !
Well , in my opinion Stefan must be the president of Computerschach Demokratische Republik ! Quickly !

Regards,
SilvianR
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Grundsätzlich haben Sie Recht

Post by Sylwy »

mclane wrote:du sollst gott nicht in bildern darstellen.
Grundsätzlich sind Sie richtiger Thorsten! Aber Shredder ist so großer Schachmotor....., und mein Englisch ist so schwach! Und ein gutes Bild hat eine große emotionale Nachricht.

Meine Rücksicht ,
SilvianR

PS:
Ich habe - von vielen Jahren - einem Mephisto Milano - noch Wirkung. War eine Gegenwart von Düsseldorf!

Ein nettes Image von Tschechien - Hradčany im Winter:

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Larry, you were already part of the team which made Rybka what it is today, and seeing what Komodo is accomplishing I really wonder if you weren't the decisive factor; you can't count yourself among those programmers who have seen others take number one and were left in the dust.