Whats happened to chess research here

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vb4

Whats happened to chess research here

Post by vb4 »

I think its an absolute shame what has happened here in this forum. I thought this forum was to be used for discussing ways of accelerating our understanding of chess and ways of improving engines play. This has become an absolute circus and I am gravely concerned. for those of you who contnue to moan and cry about rediculous things out here ought to start your own forum for complaints and get out of here. These threads go on and on about such garbage its discouraging. Julien nailed it right in the target when he talks about the ruins that this forum faces. I come in here often enough and am tired of the lack of positive things regarding Chess Research. I cant remember when a thread goes on and on about somehting good. For those of you who love to moan I suggest get out of here, we dont need your input at all and I assure you none of us on the other side of the fence will miss you.

Just my 2 cents

Les
Don

Re: Whats happened to chess research here

Post by Don »

vb4 wrote:I think its an absolute shame what has happened here in this forum. I thought this forum was to be used for discussing ways of accelerating our understanding of chess and ways of improving engines play. This has become an absolute circus and I am gravely concerned. for those of you who contnue to moan and cry about rediculous things out here ought to start your own forum for complaints and get out of here. These threads go on and on about such garbage its discouraging. Julien nailed it right in the target when he talks about the ruins that this forum faces. I come in here often enough and am tired of the lack of positive things regarding Chess Research. I cant remember when a thread goes on and on about somehting good. For those of you who love to moan I suggest get out of here, we dont need your input at all and I assure you none of us on the other side of the fence will miss you.

Just my 2 cents

Les
You are in the wrong forum. Go to programming and technical discussions and you will get good stuff on chess programming.

This is general topics and you are going to see a little bit of everything not directly related to the technical side of chess.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Don,

Yes I am aware of that but this forum also needs to stay in line with the subject line that explains its function "Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines." I just think the nit picking here needs to end and keep in line with the criteria mentioned above. You must see the change that has polluted this forum over the last 6 months.

Thanks Don for your comments, I have alot of repsect for the people who had made this forum so interesting to come to.

Les
LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid »

IMHO it has always been this way. Everyone just found something new to argue over. It's very hard to stop for the simple fact that everyone arguing is passionate about 1 thing and that is chess engines. When passionate people get together who have different opinions they are going to argue. It's human nature.

It will eventually pass. Although it may not be anytime soon.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

geots wrote:You have only averaged 5 one-hundredths of 1 post per day in the last 5 years. You have had little or no input from day 1. Concerned about the state of things? Bullshit.
It is possible to visit this forum every day and only post very occasionally out of concern. Post count is merely a function of free time and join date.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

geots wrote: You have only averaged 5 one-hundredths of 1 post per day in the last 5 years. You have had little or no input from day 1. Concerned about the state of things? Bullshit.
Les has it all wrong.

If he wants "chess research" then he should visit the sub forum "tournaments", if he wants "computerchess" and "programming tech" then he could just visit the third sub forum here, this is what Don told him.

Talking about "chess" who could be better informed or be more important with his input than GM Larry Kaufman (from Komodo). The senior members here for all but all members in principle should read his messages and he continued to declare that it's wrong to chase Rybka out of our midth. Because this practice is basically the source for the harsh conflicts in this "General Forum".

One could well suppress the mention of this conflict about Vas Rajlich and his program, but nobody could refutate what GM Larry (of the Komodo team) said: the very ancient test versions of Rybka might have been "tainted" but thereafter and for all Rybka 3 and now Rybka 4.1 are clean and shouldnt therefore be banned and exteriorated by our community. That would lead to a more peaceful climate here and everywhere in computerchess IMO.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rolf wrote:
geots wrote: You have only averaged 5 one-hundredths of 1 post per day in the last 5 years. You have had little or no input from day 1. Concerned about the state of things? Bullshit.
Les has it all wrong.

If he wants "chess research" then he should visit the sub forum "tournaments", if he wants "computerchess" and "programming tech" then he could just visit the third sub forum here, this is what Don told him.

Talking about "chess" who could be better informed or be more important with his input than GM Larry Kaufman (from Komodo). The senior members here for all but all members in principle should read his messages and he continued to declare that it's wrong to chase Rybka out of our midth. Because this practice is basically the source for the harsh conflicts in this "General Forum".

One could well suppress the mention of this conflict about Vas Rajlich and his program, but nobody could refutate what GM Larry (of the Komodo team) said: the very ancient test versions of Rybka might have been "tainted" but thereafter and for all Rybka 3 and now Rybka 4.1 are clean and shouldnt therefore be banned and exteriorated by our community. That would lead to a more peaceful climate here and everywhere in computerchess IMO.
All versions of Rybka are clones.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Luis,

Sadly I suspect you worded that well. Human nature is a funny thing.

Thx

Les
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Rolf,

I agree with your closing thoughts.

Les