repetition detection

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Desperado

Re: repetition detection

Post by Desperado »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:I replied to you, answering why I'm explaining what the ep square fits in my rep. detection, because you said that you don't see what this have to do with the subject. I said, that what has to do it was that I was asked from Edmund for it (at least I thought so). The condescending part neither came from you, nor it was pointed at you so, please read above.
Ok, misunderstanding , no problem.

I hope now, the "specific point" which was asked for, is clear now.
Further i think it should be pretty clear how ep-square has relevance
in repetition context now.

Michael
Mincho Georgiev

Re: repetition detection

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

Desperado wrote:
Mincho Georgiev wrote:I replied to you, answering why I'm explaining what the ep square fits in my rep. detection, because you said that you don't see what this have to do with the subject. I said, that what has to do it was that I was asked from Edmund for it (at least I thought so). The condescending part neither came from you, nor it was pointed at you so, please read above.
Ok, misunderstanding , no problem.

I hope now, the "specific point" which was asked for, is clear now.
Further i think it should be pretty clear how ep-square has relevance
in repetition context now.

Michael
I have a good idea where the misunderstanding came from. I thought that an explanation of the repetition detection mechanism in general was required and not specifically about e.p. update. Initially, I forgot that there are some implementations /like in polyglot as I said above/ where e.p. square gets marked only if relevant, i.e. - if e.p. is possible. Obviously, the way Edmund is doing it. And of course - logical consequence of it is higher rep count. That was one of my arguments while back to integrate e.p. in every position when is triggered. Like in Forsyth-Edwards Notation. More positions that way /hash gets filled quicker/ but less repetitions, I assume.