WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Graham Banks »

geots wrote:Don- I am believe it or not- pulling for Komodo in this match. Simply because of the great respect I have- and always will have- for Larry.

Best regards and no hard feelings,

gts
George - when you're as sick as you are at present, you should be doubly vigilant about what you post. All engine authors deserve to be spoken to more respectfully.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
geots

Post by geots »

Graham Banks wrote:
geots wrote:Don- I am believe it or not- pulling for Komodo in this match. Simply because of the great respect I have- and always will have- for Larry.

gts
George - when you're as sick as you are at present, you should be doubly vigilant about what you post. All engine authors deserve to be spoken to more respectfully.

Yea, hell- you're right. Don, my apologies to you for butting in a discussion I had no business in anyway. You are doing good work and I wish you the best. Look forward to testing future Komodo versions. You and Larry have smooth sailing.

Best Regards,

george

What match? (no emoticon- I miss my little senility truck to play with)
bob

Post by bob »

Don wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:According to Ed Shroeder, I would be a hypocrite if I implemented MP on Komodo because it's not my original idea, it would be plagiarism.
Correction, according to the ICGA.
There is absolutely no such opinion within the ICGA. Your statement is false, and you KNOW it is false. The ICGA journal proves that clearly.
Bob,

Do you feel guilty because you adapted a form of LMR after Fruit made it popular and all the other program started using it? And yet you still had the audacity to convict Vas for copying large sections of code! Shame on you.
Not at all. In fact, Fruit's "LMR" was badly flawed. It was not really a "LateMR" at all, it simply used a history counter, and a threshold in % and made the decision to prune or not prune based solely on the history counter's value, irrespective of the counters for other moves. I don't do "LMR" either. I do a pure "MR" (move reduction) that has nothing to do with a move's position in the move list. Developed after a lot of trial, error and testing...

I also don't feel bad about using Slate's iterated search, Thompson's negamax, Greenblatt's hash table, Pradu's magic move generation, nor any of a host of other ideas that are in common use...

Ed's off the deep end for reasons unknown...
bob

Post by bob »

M ANSARI wrote:
mhull wrote:
fern wrote:I would like it in a tourn against the engines that all know are the strongest, cloned or not.
That's like wanting to see clean athletes compete against doping athletes.
God ... I can't believe you can even possibly equate this to doping !!! Really you guys must be going a little crazy. Face reality and progress. If there is nothing legally wrong with an engine, please do not equate that to doping ... something which is definetely illegal and very harmful to your health.
Doping is NOT "harmful to your health". Generally means an excess of red blood cells, which would occur naturally if you trained at high altitude for an extended period of time. If you mean HGH and/or steroids, they are certainly bad, but I have not seen those called "doping" in the past...
bob

Post by bob »

Milos wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote: Ed is claiming that using ideas that might be in other programs makes you a hypocrite and plagiarist unless you conform to HIS viewpoint - that eveyone does this, therefore nobody has the write to complain about copying or code theft.
I am quickly losing my respect for you.
But the truth of the matter is that there was evidence of massive code copying and rewriting.
We are talking about Rybka now?

You voted a man guilty with consequences for his personal life and livelihood as well. You as direct competitor should have abstained from voting. So much for morality.
I think Don is enough of a technical expert in the field to be one of many PERFECT examples of people who SHOULD have voted... You should also have voted, but you chose to pout if I recall...
Being a technical expert has absolutely nothing to do with morality. I guess it would be to much to expect that you could understand that...
What does this have to do with morality? Don hasn't copied any source code. He's followed the ICGA rules...
Milos

Post by Milos »

bob wrote:
Milos wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote: Ed is claiming that using ideas that might be in other programs makes you a hypocrite and plagiarist unless you conform to HIS viewpoint - that eveyone does this, therefore nobody has the write to complain about copying or code theft.
But the truth of the matter is that there was evidence of massive code copying and rewriting.

You voted a man guilty with consequences for his personal life and livelihood as well. You as direct competitor should have abstained from voting. So much for morality.
I think Don is enough of a technical expert in the field to be one of many PERFECT examples of people who SHOULD have voted... You should also have voted, but you chose to pout if I recall...
Being a technical expert has absolutely nothing to do with morality. I guess it would be to much to expect that you could understand that...
What does this have to do with morality? Don hasn't copied any source code. He's followed the ICGA rules...
Try reading maybe you'd be still able to learn something...
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
bob wrote:
Milos wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Try reading maybe you'd be still able to learn something...
There is no conflict of interest.
Terry McCracken
Don

Post by Don »

geots wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

gts
Don't worry about it. It just shows we are passionate about computer chess.

I decided to continue the test to 500 openings or 1000 games. Here is the result that I get after running 1000 games at 30 seconds + 0.5 fischer increment on a core i7-980x overclocked slightly to 4.0:

Code: Select all

Rank Name           Elo      +      -    games   score   oppo.   draws 
   1 kse-4319.15  3002.8   20.4   20.4    1000   50.5%  3000.0   45.9% 
   2 ih946f       3000.0   20.4   20.4    1000   49.6%  3002.8   45.9% 

TIME       RATIO    log(r)     NODES    log(r)  ave DEPTH    GAMES   PLAYER
 ---------  ----------  --------  --------  --------  ---------  -------   -----------
    1.8359       1.000     0.000     2.627     0.000    16.4341     1000   ih946f
    1.8630       1.015     0.015     1.761    -0.400    15.6073     1000   kse-4319.15

The error margin is such that it's not clear at all which program is stronger. I know that the Ippo family including Houdini tends to be especially strong at time controls like this, but Larry and I have not tested that specifically for Ivanhoe. I would guess that Komodo does have an edge at realistic time controls but I would not bet the farm on it without running the test first.

But does it really matter if one of these program is slightly better than the other? Would it make one of us a fool and justify the other? Let's argue instead about who's Dad is better. I think my Dad is better than your Dad.

Yea, hell- you're right. Don, my apologies to you for butting in a discussion I had no business in anyway. You are doing good work and I wish you the best. Look forward to testing future Komodo versions. You and Larry have smooth sailing.

Best Regards,

george

What match? (no emoticon- I miss my little senility truck to play with)
kranium

Post by kranium »

Graham Banks wrote: George - when you're as sick as you are at present, you should be doubly vigilant about what you post. All engine authors deserve to be spoken to more respectfully.
yes, we should all use them as models for treating others with respect...(?!)

Don Dailey
"And all those guys cannot even keep up with this one idiot who stabbed them in the back and is laughing at their ridiculous Decembrist movement."
"I think you are an idiot to make these underhanded implied accusations."
"Idiot is not really the most accurate way to describe his behavior, but it's flattering in comparison to words that would be more correct."
"But only an idiot calls JVM a native code compiled language - if you want argue about this you are wrong so let's just go with what we agree on - we have no argument there."
"I used the term idiot unfairly and harshly, a more appropriate word is "fool" because a fool does not lack intelligence"

Marco Costlba
"I was starting to answer to that idiot but then I read your post and I will follow your suggestion to avoid garbaging this interesting thread with main forum crap-style material."

Bob Hyatt
"Tell Cock he is an idiot."
" I know you can't be that stupid"
"Or, actually, you probably do get it, but want to try to sound like you know what you are talking about while actually blathering like an idiot"
"That's a pure crock"
"This kind of bullcrap does not add a thing to the discussion"
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

No quotes from me? :shock: