WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by kranium »

geots wrote:Norman, I can tell you within 7 or 6 elo the difference between the strongest IvanHoe and Komodo 3. And there is no way, I repeat NO WAY IvanHoe T52E is 68 elo stronger than Komodo 3- 32-bit nor 64-bit. Jesus!

george
george-

i simply copied this from immortal...it represents their testing results.
sorry you don't agree and are offended, but i'm not interested in debating it's accuracy...
(i.e. it was simply used as an example...)

how would you know anyway?
have you recently completed 1000 games at LTC or something equivalent?

sadly, due to the unfair 'blacklisting' perpetrated by some rating groups such as 'your' beloved CCRL,
there is not a huge choice when looking for lists that are 'all-inclusive'...

please start you own rating list...
"George's Excellent Ratings"

i promise to be a regular visitor!
geots

Post by geots »

kranium wrote:
geots wrote:Norman, I can tell you within 7 or 6 elo the difference between the strongest IvanHoe and Komodo 3. And there is no way, I repeat NO WAY IvanHoe T52E is 68 elo stronger than Komodo 3- 32-bit nor 64-bit. Jesus!

george
george-

i simply copied this from immortal...it represents their testing results.
sorry you don't agree and are offended, but i'm not interested in debating it's accuracy...
(i.e. it was simply used as an example...)

how would you know anyway?
have you recently completed 1000 games at LTC or something equivalent?

sadly, due to the unfair 'blacklisting' perpetrated by some rating groups such as 'your' beloved CCRL,
there is not a huge choice when looking for lists that are 'all-inclusive'...

please start you own rating list...
"George's Excellent Ratings"

i promise to be a regular visitor!

No, no Norman. I am not offended- and have no hard feelings toward you. And these lists are extremely good in the sense they show me some other versions I might load and try. But can't test 64-bit until I get my new dual core 64-bit box that is in transit.

ON ANOTHER NOTE- you did not notice that in this rating list Fire 22 xTreme scored lower than Firebird 1.1? If I didn't look wrong, that is. I know they are now combined, and I know that Firebird 1.1 may be the strongest of the Firebirds. Possibly stronger than Firebird 131. But stronger than Fire 22 xTreme? Here you are the expert- all I can do is ask and believe.

Best Norman,

george

PS: Norman, I have Fire 2.2 xTreme, but I do not have Fire 2.2b. Is this a bugfix with no strength >, or what is the bugfix? IOW, if I need it- please send me a copy to:

geotsp8@yahoo.com - That is if you don't mind helping me here.
kranium

Post by kranium »

geots wrote: PS: Norman, I have Fire 2.2 xTreme, but I do not have Fire 2.2b. Is this a bugfix with no strength >, or what is the bugfix? IOW, if I need it- please send me a copy to:

Fire 2.2b is a compile by George Harrison from chess2u.com
unfortunately, he did not release the source code (as is required per GPL) with the binaries...

thus, i have no idea if he changed the source code in any way
(but he and Ahmed often do change small things, piece values...)

my advice is to simply stay with the official release...

please contact me privately:
kranium@telenet.be
i'll help you further if i can...

Norm
geots

Post by geots »

kranium wrote:
geots wrote: PS: Norman, I have Fire 2.2 xTreme, but I do not have Fire 2.2b. Is this a bugfix with no strength >, or what is the bugfix? IOW, if I need it- please send me a copy to:

unfortunately, he did not release the source code (as is required per GPL) with the binaries...

kranium@telenet.be

Norm

Thank you Norm. Will be getting in touch with you for sure. (I love 1.1 and xTreme 2.2) Have enjoyed testing them a bit- what little I can do on a couple of single cpu boxes. But that is about to change.

Best Norm,

george

Proviso Alert: I will not start back testing for CCRL until my new dual core 64-bit Windows 7 box comes in and I get around till I am comfortable with Windows 7.- Cannot, by choice, get enough done with only 1 and sometimes 2 cpus to start back for CCRL until my dual comes in. And I can hardly wait. Miss the testing with some of the best guys on the face of the earth.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Milos wrote: Well if someone pays me for a month I can provide him how much of your 2600 elo engine you actually copied from free sources ;). I'm pretty sure it's more than Vas did in Rybka 1.6 for example.
For the rest, sorry but you are too insignificant to be answered.
Btw. writing 2600 elo engine is a piece of cake. Just put a bit of randomness in the evaluation (change PST values and remove kind safety and detune other parameters a bit) of any of strong open source engine, change a bit LMR, rewrite UCI on your own, copy move generator from some other engine, recompile it and close a source. Since strengthwise you'll be too insignificant for anyone to pay attention, you'll be well below the radar, so you can freely brag how you are an "original author".
It's not surprising at all that since first Ippolit appeared the number of young "original" chess authors with closed-source chess engines in the 2500-2800 elo bracket increased ten-fold...
What a "load of crap" according to your own terminology :lol:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Rebel wrote:You fail to understand Levy used the wrong word ?

Why did Levy use the word plagiarism (which includes idea) and not the crystal clear "copying" we all do here?

Assuming you are not suffering from Down's explain the obvious.
1) The word is not 'wrong'. Code copying is a form of plagiarism, as your dictionary references also clearly told you. That you think he could have used a more specific word would, does not make it wrong to use this word.

2) If you want to know why he used that word, you should ask him. the best others can do is speculate about it. My speculation would be that 'plagiarism' is the most commonly used term in academia for this kind of offence. Levy's command of the English language is at least an order of magnitude better than yours, so you deciding what he should have said and twisting his words because he didn't is utterly ridiculous.

3) In any case, however, we know with 100% certainty that he did NOT use it because Rybka was found to use 'ideas' invented by others. The investigation and detailed report on the bases of which Rybka was convicted spoke of code copying, not of 'borrowing ideas'.

Get it now?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

kranium wrote:Charles, in all due respect,
i'm quite sure you (as TD and program entrant) could pare the list of entrants even further for your benefit couldn't you?
what's wrong with 'open' formats?
(which i'm sure would meet with most users overwhelming approval?)
You are quick with random accusations, (which probably says all about your character). The pairings were made by a program adapted by me (mamer), and when one of the spectators managed to crash it, they were made by me by hand.

If there is anything suspect about the pairings, I challenge you to point it out, and tell us how a better pairing could have been made, and which engine was favored. But you probably did not even glance at the pairings.

You don't shy from fabricating viscious lies whenever it seems to suit your cause, and I frankly don't see why anyone should believe anything you say ever!
geots

Post by geots »

kranium wrote:

kranium@telenet.be

Norm

Shit Norm. We know that the Ivanhoe versions spit out more often and in greater numbers than Chessmaster personalities ever thought of. But it looks like I might be wrong on at least 1 engine in the rating list. Exactly where in hell did this Ivanhoe version "T52E" come from? Damn. I had it in 1 of the 5 folders I have of Ippo rars. and zips. I said what the hell- I will run it some and see how weak or strong it is.

The engine I ran it ag. was not Houdini, but it aint no slouch either. Just for fun I ran 3'+2" with Ivanhoe T52E and "other " engine- rated in CCRL well above 3000 elo.

Minimized the Fritz gui and did some other work on the computer. When I looked back at it, it had played 12 games- And Ivanhoe T52E had blitzed this engine: 12 - 0. In just these few games- doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Only 12 blitz games- but I have never seen this engine get dismembered the way T52E did. It was like a surgeon. Stopped it at 12 games- cause I aint in no mood to clean up blood.

I would have bet the farm that Ivanhoe 9.46a was much better. But hell. I am in uncharted territory. Last night into today I ran a 100 game match between Ivanhoe and another unnamed engine- 1cpu, 32-bit, 128mb hash for both, Perfect 12.32 with 12-move max for both, Ponder and Learning both = OFF, no bases of any kind for either.

I will in a moment replay the above match at minimum of 50 games- except Ivanhoe 9.46a will be replaced by Ivan T52E- but playing the same engine from match last night. Will at least have a better idea after I sleep and let it run, checking when I wake.

Shit, they are so close in this rating list you brought- that now I may have to dig in the folders and find Ivanhoe-B 63 and see if it is a monster. I will know more after sleeping. Holy Mother of God! These damn things are falling from the sky.

Best-

george.
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Rebel wrote: You fail to understand Levy used the wrong word ?

Why did Levy use the word plagiarism (which includes idea) and not the crystal clear "copying" we all do here?

Assuming you are not suffering from Down's explain the obvious.
Fox hunters in the UK were described by author Oscar Wilde, as “the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable”. As many see them as over-privileged members of society indulging in brazen and ritualised cruelty, it is not surprising that their behaviour attracts rabid opposition.

One technique that the anti hunting brigade would use to drum up that opposition was for one of their number to write a letter to the local paper, posing as a “Brigadier Tarquin Venereal-Disease” in which he claimed that the foxes enjoyed the chase. The author's reward would be a furious response and heightened awareness of and sensitivity to the problem.

You are the unwitting equivalent of Tarquin. Your claims are not just unhelpful to Rajlich because they are ridiculous they are damaging to him because they keep his behaviour in the limelight and promote furious and complete refutations to woefully fragile excuses.

Rolf behaves in a similar completely counter-productive way to you. His behaviour is so bizarre that I wrote him off as an attention-seeker whose need was so great that it was relatively unimportant to him whether or not his actions damaged Rajlich’s cause. As you are clearly sincere and not an attention seeker, I have to conclude that I could have misjudged Rolf.

Either way, the pair of you swell the ranks of loose cannon on this forum; with friends like you Rajlich does not need enemies. Do the man a favour, Ed, stop posting palpable nonsense in his defence. If you feel that there is a witch hunt against Rajlich, conside the possibility that your behaviour makes you part of the problem, not part of the solution.
kranium

Post by kranium »

hgm wrote:
kranium wrote:Charles, in all due respect,
i'm quite sure you (as TD and program entrant) could pare the list of entrants even further for your benefit couldn't you?
what's wrong with 'open' formats?
(which i'm sure would meet with most users overwhelming approval?)
You are quick with random accusations, (which probably says all about your character). The pairings were made by a program adapted by me (mamer), and when one of the spectators managed to crash it, they were made by me by hand.

If there is anything suspect about the pairings, I challenge you to point it out, and tell us how a better pairing could have been made, and which engine was favored. But you probably did not even glance at the pairings.

You don't shy from fabricating viscious lies whenever it seems to suit your cause, and I frankly don't see why anyone should believe anything you say ever!
?
there is no spelling error...
i.e. i am not referring to his (or your) 'pairings'

i said 'pare', as in using a paring knife...

(zoals een 'potat-mes' in het Nederlands, maar gebruikt als actie woord)