WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by kranium »

kranium wrote:
hgm wrote:
kranium wrote:Charles, in all due respect,
i'm quite sure you (as TD and program entrant) could pare the list of entrants even further for your benefit couldn't you?
what's wrong with 'open' formats?
(which i'm sure would meet with most users overwhelming approval?)
You are quick with random accusations, (which probably says all about your character). The pairings were made by a program adapted by me (mamer), and when one of the spectators managed to crash it, they were made by me by hand.

If there is anything suspect about the pairings, I challenge you to point it out, and tell us how a better pairing could have been made, and which engine was favored. But you probably did not even glance at the pairings.

You don't shy from fabricating viscious lies whenever it seems to suit your cause, and I frankly don't see why anyone should believe anything you say ever!
?
there is no spelling error...
i.e. i am not referring to his (or your) 'pairings'

i said 'pare', as in using a paring knife...

(zoals een 'potat-mes' in het Nederlands, maar gebruikt als actie woord)

Harm-
please reread my post w/ that in mind and you'll see i was simply asking about (what i perceive as) the tournament's restrictive entrance requirements...
i.e. why it couldn't be 'open' to all
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

hgm wrote:Get it now?
The thing I get you want to stay in your romantic world before 2005. Basically tormenting aspirant chess programmers and force them to write everything from scratch while the established programmers can live in security. As such you want to become an obstacle for progress.

At our age you should be wiser and realize you can't stop the future,

But keep on trying :wink:
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Rebel wrote:
hgm wrote:Get it now?
The thing I get you want to stay in your romantic world before 2005. Basically tormenting aspirant chess programmers and force them to write everything from scratch while the established programmers can live in security. As such you want to become an obstacle for progress.

At our age you should be wiser and realize you can't stop the future,

But keep on trying :wink:
Do you know from any programmers contest where originality is not part of the rules ?

An be honest - if you would again work on Rebel or even plan a major rewrite, what would you do ? Starting with Ivanhoe source ? Really ?

Greets, Thomas
kranium

Post by kranium »

geots wrote: Shit Norm. We know that the Ivanhoe versions spit out more often and in greater numbers than Chessmaster personalities ever thought of.
Best-
george.
These are the 'official' ippolit.wikispaces.com releases of IvanHoe, beginning Jan. 2010
they have been compiled for Windows and Linux (32bit and 64-bit) by KLO
the source code is exactly as released by the engine authors...
all are available for download from his FTP site:
http://chess.cygnitec.com/engine/

IvanHoe999946a
IvanHoe999946e
IvanHoe999946f
IvanHoe999947c
IvanHoe999948i
IvanHoe999949j
IvanHoe999950h
IvanHoe999950k
IvanHoe999950r
IvanHoe999950t
IvanHoe999952a
IvanHoe999953
IvanHoe999954
IvanHoe999955m
IvanHoe999957a
IvanHoe999958p
IvanHoe999963
IvanHoe999964
IvanHoe999965
IvanHoe999966
IvanHoe999967
IvanHoe999968
IvanHoe999970
IvanHoe999973
IvanHoe999976
IvanHoe999981
IvanHoe999984
IvanHoe999987

anything else is simply an alternate compile of this source code, i.e. individuals trying to add some speed via compiler optimizations, perhaps changing piece values, etc.
I suggest you only test one...the latest (IvanHoe999946a), but obviously it's your choice.

George, I request again that we continue this discussion privately, or in a different thread,
this subject has nothing to do with the thread topic, and these posts are out of place...
Last edited by kranium on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Why don't you try explaining what you mean? Not everyone can follow your extremely convoluted reasoning here. I will repeat, since Don's response followed Ed's post, what does technical ability have to do with morality in this context (the icga investigation, finding Vas guilty, while many are using ideas from ip* in their programs)???
Start here: http://www.top-5000.nl/david.htm
What does a link to a work of fiction have to do with this discussion???
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: What does this have to do with morality? Don hasn't copied any source code. He's followed the ICGA rules...
Telling........
I agree. You assume EVERYONE EXCEPT Vas has copied. REALLY "telling".
bob

Post by bob »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:
Rebel wrote:The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
OK, so you are incapable of understanding the logic in even the most simple sentences, is that what you want to tell the world?

Because all readers older than 5 years and not suffering from Downs syndrome of course instantly understand that if you do A, and A is form of B, while C is (perhaps...) another form of B, it does in no way imply you also did C...

I understand both you and Ed and I do not think that Ed is incapable of understanding the logic of simple sentences.

The problem is not that ICGA is not going to allow using ideas but that it is not clear what they allow and what they not allow and every author who took only ideas can be afraid that they are going to decide that he is quilty.
Please cite ONE example where the ICGA has stated that sharing ideas is bad. I'll point you to the charter that explains that is the reason the ICGA was formed, to foster sharing, not prevent it. Please cite ONE example where the ICGA has barred a program from participating because that program uses one or more ideas from another program.

This is not now, and never has been, about "ideas".
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
hgm wrote:
Rebel wrote:The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
OK, so you are incapable of understanding the logic in even the most simple sentences, is that what you want to tell the world?

Because all readers older than 5 years and not suffering from Downs syndrome of course instantly understand that if you do A, and A is form of B, while C is (perhaps...) another form of B, it does in no way imply you also did C...
You fail to understand Levy used the wrong word ?

Why did Levy use the word plagiarism (which includes idea) and not the crystal clear "copying" we all do here?

Assuming you are not suffering from Down's explain the obvious.
Because one does not use the term "idea" regarding software, whether it be copyright or plagiarism.

For about the n+1th time, now...
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:
Rebel wrote:You fail to understand Levy used the wrong word ?

Why did Levy use the word plagiarism (which includes idea) and not the crystal clear "copying" we all do here?

Assuming you are not suffering from Down's explain the obvious.
1) The word is not 'wrong'. Code copying is a form of plagiarism, as your dictionary references also clearly told you. That you think he could have used a more specific word would, does not make it wrong to use this word.

2) If you want to know why he used that word, you should ask him. the best others can do is speculate about it. My speculation would be that 'plagiarism' is the most commonly used term in academia for this kind of offence. Levy's command of the English language is at least an order of magnitude better than yours, so you deciding what he should have said and twisting his words because he didn't is utterly ridiculous.

3) In any case, however, we know with 100% certainty that he did NOT use it because Rybka was found to use 'ideas' invented by others. The investigation and detailed report on the bases of which Rybka was convicted spoke of code copying, not of 'borrowing ideas'.

Get it now?
Ed is simply exposing his dishonest intentions here. One can be charged with a crime, and when you look at the definition of said crime, you are usually given several examples. It does not mean the person charged did ALL of those things, it means he did at least one of them. Ed knows that. In computer software, neither copyright law nor plagiarism includes the concept of "ideas". I use a computer application that checks for software plagiarism all the time on student assignments. It doesn't have a clue about "ideas". It compares "semantics" which is NOT ideas, but is implementation.

He knows that...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
Don wrote: You said that "everyone is doing it" meaning that we all use ideas from other programs and then you proposed a method so that nobody would have to feel like a hypocrite for doing this. If I got this wrong, please correct me.
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Said this 3 times now.

You want to be called a plagiarists by the ICGA? Fine. Go on derailing the subject pretending you did not get my point. As such you are insulting your own intelligence and of your readers.

I don't like to be labelled as a plagiarist, you?
I am not one. Because plagiarism does not include ideas when applied to computer software. You want to wage a dishonest campaign based on an incorrect definition of a word. The ICGA report was quite clear that it was ONLY about copied source. Not ideas. You could stop this dishonesty at any point, now...