WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote: Do you know from any programmers contest where originality is not part of the rules ?
CC is the contest who produces the strongest chess engine on the planet.
An be honest - if you would again work on Rebel or even plan a major rewrite, what would you do ? Starting with Ivanhoe source ? Really ?
Too old :mrgreen:

I am from the old generation that likes to writes its own code.

But if I was 18 again living in and grown up in a post Crafty, Fruit, Strelka, Ippo world I likely would not be willing to reinvent dozen of wheels while those wheels are just a few mouse clicks away from me.

We should not greet them with howl and kick them out but invite them in our world with new and solid rules that can stand the pressure of 2011.
Cocaine is everywhere. So it should be legalized, just because it seems it is impossible to completely eradicate its use?

What a wonderful idea, and what a wonderful world that would be.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Again, Ed knows this. It is just another attempt to defend the indefensible.
Silly tactics.
I agree completely. Why don't you stop?
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
Rebel wrote: Plagiarism includes ideas.
bob wrote: Not when referring to computer software.
Still waiting when you are going to back-up that statement.
OK, let's take YOUR "wiki definition" first.

wiki wrote: Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions

Now, look at the highlighted word above, "or". In the general sense, plagiarism could mean copying an author's language, or his thoughts, or his ideas, or his expressions. Notice that is not and but is, instead or. Doing just ONE of those is considered plagiarism. That is enough to show the fallacy in your argument. You want to claim that because David used plagiarism, Vas must be guilty of ALL things defined as plagiarism. That's incorrect.

As far as how the term is used with respect to computer software, again, look it up online and see what everyone is using to detect computer software plagiarism, and what they are calling "software plagiarism." Hint: You won't see the word "idea" mentioned...

This is just about the silliest argument I have ever seen anyone propose. And, as I said, I am pretty certain you know it is silly. "or" means "or", not "and", not "all of the above" but just "one of the above."
bob

Post by bob »

CRoberson wrote:
bob wrote:
kranium wrote:
Don wrote: In fact I believe that one of either Rybka, Fruit or Houdini should be allowed to compete to represent the "Fruit" name.
Don-
Please stop this incessant (2 years now?) propaganda and devious campaign to discredit Ippolit...
where is the evidence that Houdini, or any of the Ippolit engines contain Fruit?
there isn't any!

Until such is presented, your allegations are completely untrue, disingenuous, and hurtful...

If you don't have it, then what you are doing is as bad (or worse, IMO) than those you refer to as 'the cloners'...
and your behavior is simply reprehensible.
Does not matter. ippolit was the first. Anything based on that is an illegal entry. Whether robo contains part of ip* or not I do not know. But anything based on robo* is ALSO illegal as that would be a copy. That includes fire/houdini/whatever else there is in this "forkless family tree"
Robo = ippo cleaned up a bit to make it more human readable.
In that case, the only way it would be a legal entry would be for the author of ip/robo to enter the thing...
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:
kranium wrote:Charles, in all due respect,
i'm quite sure you (as TD and program entrant) could pare the list of entrants even further for your benefit couldn't you?
what's wrong with 'open' formats?
(which i'm sure would meet with most users overwhelming approval?)
You are quick with random accusations, (which probably says all about your character). The pairings were made by a program adapted by me (mamer), and when one of the spectators managed to crash it, they were made by me by hand.

If there is anything suspect about the pairings, I challenge you to point it out, and tell us how a better pairing could have been made, and which engine was favored. But you probably did not even glance at the pairings.

You don't shy from fabricating viscious lies whenever it seems to suit your cause, and I frankly don't see why anyone should believe anything you say ever!
Note: I assume "pare" means "reduce", not "pair". As in excluding entries to reduce the size of the field... not sure, but that is what I think was his intent...
diep

Post by diep »

Uri Blass wrote:
diep wrote:

Actually i invented reductions back in 1998 and entire 1999 Diep used reductions. LMR and History pruning is a subset of what i experimented with back then. Using history moves for reductions or even as a selective move mechanism was used in the 90s massively also by Said Koudache in his 10x10 international checkers program.

Many authors independant from each other invented reductions and some used it with more succes for their engine than others. Back then in 90s the nps of diep wasn't high enough to really profit from what i invented.
Vincent
LMR helps at all time control including 1 second per move with single cpu hardware that is not the fastest single cpu hardware.
It means that
one million nodes per move are clearly enough to make LMR productive.

I am sure that Diep at 3 minutes per move searched more than 1 million nodes even in 1998 or 1999 and it means that what you invented that did not work for you was different than LMR that top programs use today(for example different conditions when to use LMR).

I believe that some authors like the author of shredder invented some productive LMR independently and if you did not find LMR to be productive for you it means that you did not invent it.
Uri, back in 2004 you got with your own engine 12 ply or something at a time control of 2+ minutes a move and your engine also has a branching factor that is so bad, and so inefficient that any form of pruning seems to work for you.

LMR is a gift from heaven for programmers who do not have efficient branching factors without it. If you turn off LMR in Rybka and the clones, then you end up with an engine that has a far worse branching factor than Diep without.

Diep searched in 1996 at a pentiumpro 200Mhz between 5k and 10k nps.

Search depths at world champs 1997 at a 300Mhz PII were around 7 ply to 10 ply in endgame.

Branching factors of 10.0 were very common back then. You can still see this in some old programs from then like Schach 3.0.

In 1998 i did improve the branching factor of diep bigtime. Better move ordering, which with a big evaluation function is more complicated, and so on.

Sure crafty didn't have a b.f. of 10.0 back then, but was tactical extremely weak. Also its qsearch was really lobotomized and picked up zero tactics. Not even being mated.

Doing claims now that LMR in 1999 at a 450Mhz PII which i owned by then would have worked is just showing your simplistic insight in computerchess which is totally flawed as you have no clue about search.

You posted yourself positions back then where reductions are total contraproductive against and your only judgement back then was 100% based upon whether engines found this quickly or not.

As for Diep with reductions back then i could win about 2 ply, yet many positions, not to mention tactical positions, it lost 4-5 ply.

So there is a break even trajectory there.

It was tested playing games simply.

I remember how Stefan Meyer-Kahlen and i at a hotelroom turned off for a test the reductions of Shredder.

It just got 9 to 10 ply suddenly. This was in 2004 at his 3ghz laptop.

Branching factors of most of the beancounters are so bad without reductions that they can't even remotely compete if you kick it out of those engines.

A huge test of Diep in 2001 using a more selective prunings mechanism like Ed Schroeder has in Rebel, and which he didn't clearly publish (if i remember well the official reason given for that is that Tiger also is using it and that he therefore doesn't want to publish that), which did search a lot deeper, in fact it won 3 ply, using of course reductions in a more sophisticated manner than LMR is doing, it is finding the tactics actually.

So his scheme has the advantage of searching deeper like LMR, yet you do not miss too much tactics.

Jan Louwman, who did do several tests for Diep, at the time played 1000 games at 36 computers. Time control around 3 hours a game at the fastest machines, which was back then k7's and at P3's and laptop P3's of around 600-800Mhz or so we put the time control up to 9 hours a game and auto232 was used against another machine. So 18 sets of auto232.

It took quite a while to play 1000 games.

500 with this form of search and 500 games without.

The version with the selectivity scored 20% less.

You simply are not intelligent enough to imagine other realities than the only thing you notice at 1 program. You just see 1 reality of yourself toying with 1 program.

I bet you never do experiments with other programs, as only the thing right now winning matters for you.

You probably didn't even figure out why history pruning worked for Fruit.

As for Diep, LMR which is turned on right now is basically working big crap. It hardly gives elo. So i intend to replace it with a different form of selective search that i self invented - though i'm sure Stefan MK and others have invented something similar as well. I'm going back to an algorithm i invented in fact around 1996 which didn't work back then as it had an overhead of 20% which was too much back then. I hope it works now and gets diep a bigger search thanks to getting a bigger nps nowadays.

You really have no idea about search Uri.

Vincent
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Thomas Mayer wrote: Do you know from any programmers contest where originality is not part of the rules ?
The comparison is a bit off, because in programming contests usually the problem changes with each edition and therefore copying 'problem domain code' is never a consideration. If the problem stays the same for an extended period there will arise a force for commodification of the established aspects and continuation of the competition at the frontier. And only then the choice becomes visible: Those with a vested investment will protect their turf, those entering the market will want to circumvent that barrier of entrance. Progress is not necessarily achieved by the first group. In computer chess we can see that the tournaments have lost to the Internet rating lists. The battle is now there, the choice has been made.

Having said that, it is worthy to note that in the mother of all programming contests, the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, using code from external sources is allowed. Under time pressure a ready-to-type geometry function or Huffman encoder beats deriving your own on the spot. When I was a finalist we brought a printed library code with us and made sure we knew where to find what we might need, just in case. Plus the Knuths, but those were mostly to scare off the other teams... Under the modern rules reference code is limited to 25 pages but still part of the deal. Perhaps the Knuths were indeed used as projectiles too much.

One final personal note: I was getting appalled at the discussion style that developed in this thread, which was in my world-view a consequence of people not meeting enough in person (and tournaments are a great place to do exactly that: the boards and beers aspect that is missing with rating lists). But to my great relief today I learnt it might also be a sign of intelligence:
(PhysOrg.com) wrote:"-- A lot of people who have gone to computer chess forums have become the targets of feces thrown by programmers or testers, and left no doubt wondering about the so-called intellectual capacity of a enthousiast that would resort to such foul play. Now however, researchers studying such behavior have come to the conclusion that throwing feces, or any object really, is actually a sign of high ordered behavior."
Full article: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-11-poo ... gence.html

I wish you all a merry xmas and healthy new year.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Why don't you try explaining what you mean? Not everyone can follow your extremely convoluted reasoning here. I will repeat, since Don's response followed Ed's post, what does technical ability have to do with morality in this context (the icga investigation, finding Vas guilty, while many are using ideas from ip* in their programs)???
Start here: http://www.top-5000.nl/david.htm
What does a link to a work of fiction have to do with this discussion???
http://poll.pollcode.com/fsaR_result?v

That's no fiction.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: What does this have to do with morality? Don hasn't copied any source code. He's followed the ICGA rules...
Telling........
I agree. You assume EVERYONE EXCEPT Vas has copied. REALLY "telling".
Don't get me started about Rybka :wink:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote: Ed is simply exposing his dishonest intentions here.
Now behave you bully, we are NOT at Rybka Forum here.

Understood ?