WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Terry McCracken »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Worrying about competitors being on the panel is quite silly. And it also seems quite strange since YOU wanted to be on there. And you wanted Chris to be on there. So can you POSSIBLY pick one side of the street and stay on it? You are waffle-city here. No programmers should be there. Chris should have been there. I wanted to be there but left when Chris was not accepted. Does that REALLY sound rational to you?
I left the Panel the moment I saw what kind of justice was going to take place, the ban of a vocal critical voice, first act of the Tribunal.
Chris Whittington removed himself with his behaviour, please realize this and not blame the ICGA.

Chris Whittington holds the computer chess community, the ICGA and everyone, including you, in contempt.

He uses anyone he can like kleenex!

He has you on a leash. Realize this. He's not your friend or anyone's friend in this community.

He's f****** Loki!
Terry McCracken
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Terry McCracken wrote: He has you on a leash.
Terry, I many things however the last thing I am is the prototype of a follower :wink:

Take care.
Terry McCracken

Rebel wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: He has you on a leash.
Terry, I many things however the last thing I am is the prototype of a follower :wink:

Take care.
He manipulates you and all the people he can. He's been doing it for a long, long time.

Take him out of the equation and things will be on a more even keel.
Terry McCracken
kranium

Post by kranium »

bob wrote:
kranium wrote:Bob-

the point is:

Ippolit source code is here to stay...
it's clean, well-written, innovative, and extremely strong.
it's free, and the authors don't want/need any recognition for their work.

it's better code than Crafty, and especially important in the 'grand scheme of things'.
all or most major programs/authors are using it, studying it and learning from it...
it represents 'progress' while Crafty is a 'dinosaur'...you're just going to have to deal with that fact.

incessantly attacking them with no proof of wrongdoing (in an grand effort to discredit the source code, knowing all to well they are easy targets and will not defend themselves) is appalling.

that being said...i am done with this petty conversation.
it's clear to me that when faced with opposition, without an argument, your only recourse is to issue personal attacks.
I hope you are "DONE". Because you are offering NOTHING here. Just because a strong open source program exists does NOT mean everyone should be cleared to copy that and start their development. If enough want a "clone division" feel free to start it. I don't want to participate. I have no problems competing with ONE ip* family member, IF the actual authors decide to enter the thing somewhere, and if it is examined carefully to be sure that it is not, as claimed, a Rybka RE with some Fruity changes added. I've seen Don state he does not want to compete in a clone tournament. I notice a big group of programmers that signed the original protest to the ICGA stating THEY didn't want to participate in tournaments with derivatives.

So "most" is a huge exaggeration when you talk about known authors...
Bob-
we're having such a great conversation, i hope you don't mind me expressing myself completely...

i've watched you post for years, you come across as if you're the absolute top/most incredible, most knowledgeable, most experienced, (God's gift to CC) programming
that could ever possibly exist...why then do you waste so much of your time and expend such substantial energy throwing mud?

you've performed a small miracle discrediting Vas, (must have been an absolutely huge expenditure of time and negative energy...)
how long did it take?
for what?
to show that some ancient version of Rybka had tiny bits of Crafty? does that actually make you feel good, or help anything? no...
no one cares! Rybka is still being sold, is still widely available, and is still being tested by CCRL, etc.

despite your efforts, enormous progress is happening in chess programming today! it's all around you..
but you can't see it, or refuse to recognize it?

i have a question:
why not take that incredible abundance of negative energy you apparently posess, and funnel it towards something positive?
for ex: read and learn...(you still have room to learn something don't you, or is your gargantuan brain completely full?)

i.e. what about browsing/reading the highly advanced search and eval concepts in Ippolit...?
maybe incorporate them into Crafty...?

make Crafty the strongest engine on the planet for God's sake!
the way you talk, it would/should be simple for you...to walk the walk?

no one would would love to see that more than I...

instead we have a very different Bob...one that does not take any positive action...only negative and extreme righteous smear campaigns against people making substantial efforts to push the envelope...

he appears to be one that stands on the sidelines endlessly whining and complaining and throwing truckloads of mud...why?
because it's all not happening the way i want it to!!

Bob, it's as if you have decided:

well, i can't improve Crafty (or don't have the drive/motivation, am busy with school), therefore I'll simply launch an 'extremist' moral campaign to discredit all,
(even the most innovative successful authors and programs)
and i steadfastly will ignore and criticize the tremendous CC progress (which have presented themselves the last years...)

sorry, you seem to be becoming a disgruntled old man, desperately fighting for attention...who can't/refuses to recognize/accept change and progress...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Mail whatever you want. You stop making dishonest statements such as "levy accused Vas of taking ideas" and you will stop seeing those rebuttals. Continue to make false statements, I will continue to point 'em out. What's good for the goose and all that...
I never said nor implied that Mr. Distortion.

It seems impossible to have a normal conversation with you about an urgent and fundamental issue that has made CC sick to the bone.

You know what? You are sounding like those parents in the 60's, whenever their teenager kid dropped the word "Beatles" or "Elvis" went berserk.
Pure bullshit. You have said "Levy accused vas of plagiarism. Plagiarism includes ideas." What, exactly did you imply? You in another thread said Levy has made it clear that if you copy ideas you will get banned." Where did Levy say ANYTHING about ideas.

Don't try to back out of your outright lies... I'm open to conversations that are factual, not those that are based on nothing but lies...

If you want me to find the exact quotes, I'll be happy to do so.

Here's one, in fact:
Rebel wrote:
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
Outright lie. In your own words. So you are a what, now???
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

Rebel wrote:Relax and debate in a civilized way.
Like Chris Whittington does? We get no insults from him? He's just sooo polite? It must be so because you defend him, eternally. No criticism of him. Bob, sure, what a jerk. But Chris is sanctified. You carry a lot of water for him. How does that happen?
Matthew Hull
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote: Pure bullshit. You have said "Levy accused vas of plagiarism. Plagiarism includes ideas." What, exactly did you imply?
If you had paid attention, and I said it numerous times, even in the OP, for using the WRONG word.

Don't try to make and call me a liar because you in your Vas paranoia are not able to read properly.
You in another thread said Levy has made it clear that if you copy ideas you will get banned." Where did Levy say ANYTHING about ideas.
LIAR
Don't try to back out of your outright lies... I'm open to conversations that are factual, not those that are based on nothing but lies...
LIAR
Rebel wrote:
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
Outright lie. In your own words. So you are a what, now???
Pay attention next time senile old man.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mhull wrote:
Like Chris Whittington does? We get no insults from him? He's just sooo polite? It must be so because you defend him, eternally. No criticism of him. Bob, sure, what a jerk. But Chris is sanctified. You carry a lot of water for him. How does that happen?
He is not the devil Matt, neither a saint. As you know yourself the trouble started with the quoting from Enrique's email 2-3 days before the closing of the elections when 90+% of the votes were in. This made Chris a moderator and all hell broke lose. Correct? So what was I supposed to do, follow the witch hunt or show some backbone, you tell me.
Terry McCracken

Rebel wrote:
mhull wrote:
He is not the devil Matt, neither a saint. As you know yourself the trouble started with the quoting from Enrique's email 2-3 days before the closing of the elections when 90+% of the votes were in. This made Chris a moderator and all hell broke lose. Correct? So what was I supposed to do, follow the witch hunt or show some backbone, you tell me.
He is the devil. Time to accept that and move on.
Terry McCracken
fern

Post by fern »

Chris is the Devil?
Maybe so, but is an entertaining one. He writes very well, is funny and sometimes goes to the point.
Form me that is enough.

No hoping much of our race, I am a classic pardoner.
Fern