WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: WCCC 2011 - Junior is the 2011 World Champion

Post by Terry McCracken »

fern wrote:Chris is the Devil?
Maybe so, but is an entertaining one. He writes very well, is funny and sometimes goes to the point.
Form me that is enough.

No hoping much of our race, I am a classic pardoner.
Fern
When he comes after you, you will change your mind.

"Dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight." Regards ...
Terry McCracken
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

Thanks for your efforts, Marcel. Some part of me appreciates the fact that history can't be changed at will, although this clearly isn't too relevant by 2011.

I want to point out, that I am absolutely convinced that Bob Hyatt himself believes he is telling the truth. Over the years I came to the conclusion that he basically is a honest man with fine moral standards, just one with a *very* selective memory.

Btw, the controversies regarding his ICGA membership was of a much simpler nature, namely about membership fees. It wasn't until near the very end of the tournament that this could be resolved *somehow*, as Joke and Bob tried to beat each other when it is about their ability to misunderstand most simple and basic text messages and being stubborn. I don't know whom I would have announced to be the winner in this contest if I had been judge ;) .

Voice from the past regards ;)
Peter
fern

Post by fern »

Oh, he will not, we share lot of things.
But if he does, I can backfire in strength.
The Devil, BTW, is old friend of mine. A pale, tall guy with a soft smile and always ready to please your desires.
It is up to you to ask them or not....

Already damned regards
Fern
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

fern wrote:Oh, he will not, we share lot of things.
But if he does, I can backfire in strength.
The Devil, BTW, is old friend of mine. A pale, tall guy with a soft smile and always ready to please your desires.
It is up to you to ask them or not....

Already damned regards
Fern
Only Fern... :lol:
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:
Rebel wrote:The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
OK, so you are incapable of understanding the logic in even the most simple sentences, is that what you want to tell the world?

Because all readers older than 5 years and not suffering from Downs syndrome of course instantly understand that if you do A, and A is form of B, while C is (perhaps...) another form of B, it does in no way imply you also did C...

I understand both you and Ed and I do not think that Ed is incapable of understanding the logic of simple sentences.

The problem is not that ICGA is not going to allow using ideas but that it is not clear what they allow and what they not allow and every author who took only ideas can be afraid that they are going to decide that he is quilty.
Can we get off of this. To buy into your reasoning one would have to believe:

(1) the ICGA publishes the journal to "entrap" people, because the Journal is full of ideas and using those will one day be considered a rule 2 violation (somehow).

(2) the ICGA organizes conferences where people discuss ideas, present papers, etc. Same problem. Entrapment...

(3) the ICGA report explicitly mentioned copying source code, and not ideas. One would have to read between the lines of that report somehow to make the giant leap of faith to believe that copying ideas will one day be considered cheating.

None of that makes any sense. Not one single statement...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
kranium wrote:
bob wrote: "It has been well established..."??? By YOU? You don't exactly count in the grand scheme of things, do you?
i prefer to leave the decision of 'who counts' and 'who doesn't count' to higher powers.
your propensity/need to do so, all the while insulting and belittling all who disagree with you speaks volumes, however...

taking note of your inflated ego: is there any room left (for anyone else) in your 'grand scheme of things' fantasy?

i.e. if you work feverishly enough discrediting and insulting everyone (as you certainly have been),
i'm sure you'll eventually reach your goal...and can be the sole participant!
How about at least using the truth every now and then. You said, and I quote

if you work feverishly enough discrediting and insulting everyone

So, you are saying EVERYONE is cheating, copying the code of others, and such? That is the ONLY POSSIBLE interpretation of your statement, because I have only had negative comments to make about those that are cheating, copying the work of others, and purporting it to be their original work. You do fit in that category, do you not? But hardly EVERYBODY. In fact, it seems that the cloners/copiers of the world are a small minority, not EVERYBODY...
You are derailing a serious issue with your insults.

Relax and debate in a civilized way.
Where is the insult above? I REALLY suspect you have something going on that you have not told anyone about. Nobody acts this way if they are completely rational.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Worrying about competitors being on the panel is quite silly. And it also seems quite strange since YOU wanted to be on there. And you wanted Chris to be on there. So can you POSSIBLY pick one side of the street and stay on it? You are waffle-city here. No programmers should be there. Chris should have been there. I wanted to be there but left when Chris was not accepted. Does that REALLY sound rational to you?
I left the Panel the moment I saw what kind of justice was going to take place, the ban of a vocal critical voice, first act of the Tribunal.
You left the panel because you didn't get YOUR way. If Chris had let the wheels turn, he would have been "in". Nobody in the secretariat could verify his email. I checked, as I mentioned. Never received anything from THAT email. Other panel applicants also took time to verify. But Chris doesn't want to wait... Even though we had not started the investigation at that point...
bob

Post by bob »

bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Mail whatever you want. You stop making dishonest statements such as "levy accused Vas of taking ideas" and you will stop seeing those rebuttals. Continue to make false statements, I will continue to point 'em out. What's good for the goose and all that...
I never said nor implied that Mr. Distortion.

It seems impossible to have a normal conversation with you about an urgent and fundamental issue that has made CC sick to the bone.

You know what? You are sounding like those parents in the 60's, whenever their teenager kid dropped the word "Beatles" or "Elvis" went berserk.
Pure bullshit. You have said "Levy accused vas of plagiarism. Plagiarism includes ideas." What, exactly did you imply? You in another thread said Levy has made it clear that if you copy ideas you will get banned." Where did Levy say ANYTHING about ideas.

Don't try to back out of your outright lies... I'm open to conversations that are factual, not those that are based on nothing but lies...

If you want me to find the exact quotes, I'll be happy to do so.

Here's one, in fact:
Rebel wrote:
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Following the interpretation of rule #2 due to the Rybka-ICGA fiasco we are all plagiarists because we take ideas.
Outright lie. In your own words. So you are a what, now???
Hmm.. No response to your OWN WORDS?

how typical...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: Pure bullshit. You have said "Levy accused vas of plagiarism. Plagiarism includes ideas." What, exactly did you imply?
If you had paid attention, and I said it numerous times, even in the OP, for using the WRONG word.

Don't try to make and call me a liar because you in your Vas paranoia are not able to read properly.
You in another thread said Levy has made it clear that if you copy ideas you will get banned." Where did Levy say ANYTHING about ideas.
LIAR
Don't try to back out of your outright lies... I'm open to conversations that are factual, not those that are based on nothing but lies...
LIAR
Rebel wrote:
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Outright lie. In your own words. So you are a what, now???
Pay attention next time senile old man.
Sorry, you are STILL a liar. A plagiarist can copy ideas from a book or movie, a plagiarist can copy text from a book/paper, a plagiarist can copy source code from another program. A plagiarist does NOT have to do all three. David clearly explained what Vas had done. You know this and I know this. Copying source code fits within the wiki definition of plagiarism, because it meets ONE of the several possibilities the wiki (and Webster's) gives. David, nor the panel, nor the ICGA has EVER considered using ideas from others as a violation of rules. Not one single example can you give.

So, you want to try to hide behind semantics. Yet you state "we are all plagiarists". That is simply false. And when one knowingly makes a false statement, that is commonly called "a lie"...

Q.E.D.