Seirawan Chess at my ICS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Seirawan Chess at my ICS

Post by hgm »

I am working now together with Yasser Seirawan to get the variant he and Bruce Harper invented (also known as S-Chess) running on the open-source ICS code. I have set up the Fairy-Max bot on my ICS to now also take challenges in variant seirawan.

Those interested are invited to give it a try, either by playing each other, or playing the Fairy-Max bot. To start an S-Chess game when logged on to the ICS, you can use the command:

match FairyMax 5 1 sc

(the sc here means S-Chess = variant seirawan; gc would be variant gothic, km would be knightmate, su would be SuperChess = variant super. 5 1 means 5min +1 sec/move, as usual, and in stead of FairyMax you could of course type the name of another opponent).

To connect to the ICS you can use the command

winboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169 -icshelper timeseal

or tick 'use an ICS' in the startup dialog, and select the 80.100.28.169 line from the ICS combobox. You can then type a name of your choosing to login as a guest.

Also see:
http://hgm.nubati.net/VICS
http://www.seirawanchess.com
micron

Re: Seirawan Chess at my ICS

Post by micron »

Is that winboard only? I have xboard for Mac but it seems unable to connect.

Code: Select all

$ xboard --version
xboard version 4.5.2
$ xboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169 -icshelper timeseal
xboard: Connection closed by ICS
Robert P.
hgm

Post by hgm »

No, it should work with XBoard just the same. Have you tried it without the "-icshelper timeseal"? Could be that your timeseal is bad or missing. can you logon to FICS (-ics freechess.org)?
micron

Post by micron »

This works to log on to your ICS:
$ xboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169

This works to log on to FICS:
$ xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org

The installer put timeseal and timestamp at what looks like a bad place:
/Applications/Xboard/
Where should they be?
hgm

Post by hgm »

micron wrote:This works to log on to your ICS:
$ xboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169

This works to log on to FICS:
$ xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org

The installer put timeseal and timestamp at what looks like a bad place:
/Applications/Xboard/
Where should they be?
They should be in some directory that is in your path (/usr/bin or /usr/games ?).Or you should enter the full pathname:

$ xboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169 -icshelper /Applications/Xboard/timeseal

There currently seem to be some problems with XBoard too, however: the version I use to run the bot occasionally crashes.
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, it seems the problems are solved, and the bot no longer crashes. The development version of XBoard I was using had a problem with uninitiaized castling variables when reading ICS boards. This made it crash every time a King left the back rank. It was not S-Chess related, but I never noticed this problem in a WinBoard compile from the same code (I use this version every month on ICS, in the blitz tourney).
micron

Post by micron »

It (timestamp) had the wrong permissions. After
$ sudo chmod 755 /Applications/Xboard/timestamp
everything is OK. Thanks for your help.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:I am working now together with Yasser Seirawan to get the variant he and Bruce Harper invented (also known as S-Chess) running on the open-source ICS code. I have set up the Fairy-Max bot on my ICS to now also take challenges in variant seirawan.

Those interested are invited to give it a try, either by playing each other, or playing the Fairy-Max bot. To start an S-Chess game when logged on to the ICS, you can use the command:

match FairyMax 5 1 sc

(the sc here means S-Chess = variant seirawan; gc would be variant gothic, km would be knightmate, su would be SuperChess = variant super. 5 1 means 5min +1 sec/move, as usual, and in stead of FairyMax you could of course type the name of another opponent).

To connect to the ICS you can use the command

winboard -ics -icshost 80.100.28.169 -icshelper timeseal

or tick 'use an ICS' in the startup dialog, and select the 80.100.28.169 line from the ICS combobox. You can then type a name of your choosing to login as a guest.

Also see:
http://hgm.nubati.net/VICS
http://www.seirawanchess.com
I plan to develop an engine that can play variant seirawan, how can I send to winboard a move if I plan to drop an elephant at g1 after playing g1f3 (a knight move from g1 to f3) say from starting position? Is g1f3(Eg1) correct? How the fen would look like? Any other hints would be much appreciated.
From the rule:

When a player first moves a piece from its original square, that player has the option of placing the Hawk or Elephant on the vacated square, as part of the player's move. Thus if a player played Ng1-f3, he or she could place the Hawk or Elephant on g1. The move would be recorded as 1.Nf3(Hg1).
Another rule:

Since each side has eight pieces (K, Q, R, R, B, B, N, N), a player has eight opportunities to bring the Hawk and Elephant into play. If a player fails to do so, the unplaced piece remains out of play.
Would this mean there is a limit on placing the new pieces? If yes any sample situation?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Gating moves are written as promotions. (There never is any ambiguity, as Pawns are not allowed to gate, and even if they would, a virgin Pawn cannot promote.) So you would write f1g3e to gate the Elephant at f1. In SAN WinBoard now accepts both = and / in gatings and true promotions, and writes = with promotions and / with gatings. The ICS writes = for both, however.

Note that a gating is consiered a two-step move, and you are not allowed to pass through check.

[d] 4k3/4p3/8/8/8/8/4P3/qN2K3 w
In the above diagram Nb1-c3/E would be illegal.

Pieces in hand are written between [] after the board in FEN. We are still discussing how to best indicate virginity of pieces. This info seems to make the castling field superfluous, and could perhaps replace it. Reinhard proposed two hex numbers separated by a period, representing a bitmap of the virgin pieces, like

rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR [HEhe] w FF.FF - 0 1

I am not so keen to use hexadecimal in FEN, though. A alternative would be to append the file letters of non-virgin pieces still in their original position to the castling field. (In practice there are never many of those).

Another, more general issue is if it is really desirable to use H and E for pieces that in other variants are called A and C.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Ferdy wrote:Would this mean there is a limit on placing the new pieces? If yes any sample situation?
Indeed, you are only allowed to gate when moving a virgin piece. After you moved all back-rank pieces, what you would have left in hand becomes worthless. (This is something Fairy-Max does not take into acount in its eval, but I biased it heavily towards having the pieces on board, so it usually gates them at the ealiest opportunity, ad I have never seen it run out of gating opportunities before it deployed E and H.)

Another thing I forgot to mention: with castling, you can gate at the Rook or the King square (but not both). Gating at the King square is written normally: (say) e1g1h or O-O/H. For gating at the Rook WinBoard no uses h1e1h or (ugly) Rxe1/H. The user also enters it by dragging the Rook on top of the King. In the future I might still change the SAN notation. (But the protocol notation h1e1e will stay as it is.)