Need a little help from a Pascal guru (Chess05 Frey/Atkin)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carey

Re: Need a little help from a Pascal guru (Chess05 Frey/Atki

Post by Carey »

Jim Ablett wrote:Please re-download.
Found buffer overflow in eval.
(my fault - increased search depth too much),

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/chess05-ja.zip

best,
Jim.
Laugh... Way to go, Jim.

I guess you forgot this thing was designed back in the days when people would be running it on interpreted UCSD Pascal and 8080's...

(grin)
Carey

Post by Carey »

nanochess wrote:I'm fact I have the source of Chess 0.5 from "The Byte Book of Pascal", the listings are faded, I've typed it one time :shock: and managed to get it compiled, I don't remember what I did with it, but it was so slow and not as strong as I thought :? .
Any idea of ELO rating with your modifications?
Well, you gotta remember, the program was *NOT* designed for speed.

It was designed as an example of their bitboard database method and as a general example of chess programs.

It would require far more extensive changes to get it to perform well or even tolerably marginally okay.

Still... Switch to a compiler with 64 bit integers, get rid of a lot of the house keeping subroutines, and run it on an 10ghz processor and you might be able to reach 600 or even 700 elo....

(laugh) Just kidding. Seriously... Probably around somewhere like Sargon 1 performance, because of the extra overhead. Maybe a bit better.

And it has very old algorithms. No null move or pruning, etc. etc. etc.

So I expect TSCP would wipe the floor with it.

It would probably be more comparable to a bare bones material & mobility kind of program written in C. Chess 0.5 would be smarter, but slower due to the extra overhead of the bitboard database (because the eval isn't smart enough to take advantage of the info.)

Modern CPU's are fast enough to give even Sargon 1, TECH or HGM's MicroMax plenty of playability, but Chess 0.5 certainly not going to be competitive.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

I found another chess05 windows executable available on Andre Adrian's very interesting computer chess history page >

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... Fschach%2F

Jim.