4th Mini tour 70min 1core started...

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

marijan

Re: 4th Mini tour 70min 1core started...

Post by marijan »

rvida wrote:
marijan wrote:Mr. Houdart, my deepest apologies... You were right when you said that is something wrong.... Arena seems doesent worked properly... Had that problem few days ago... Now its ok... Downloaded new one....
Blaming Arena??? Nonsense... It has nothing to do with the GUI. Most probalby you have a pirated version with an improper crack. If I were you, I would hide in the woods instead of publishing on fora.

Please don t insult me! Don t need to hide....
Regards...
rvida

Post by rvida »

bob wrote: I can't get my head around THAT concept. A pirated license for a program that is a copy of another program?
What do you talking about? AFAIK Houdini is perfectly legal. Even if the Houdini project started from some version of (pulic domain) Robbolito/Ivanhoe, that does not mean that everyone can have a free (pirated) copy of it.

If you think that it is "only an Ippolit", you are free to use the vanilla thing, available from various sites (7261 zillion of different compiles at +-6 elo from each other).
rvida

Post by rvida »

marijan wrote:
rvida wrote:
marijan wrote:Mr. Houdart, my deepest apologies... You were right when you said that is something wrong.... Arena seems doesent worked properly... Had that problem few days ago... Now its ok... Downloaded new one....
Blaming Arena??? Nonsense... It has nothing to do with the GUI. Most probalby you have a pirated version with an improper crack. If I were you, I would hide in the woods instead of publishing on fora.

Please don t insult me! Don t need to hide....
Regards...
:roll:
Sorry, there is almost zero probability that you can get more than +-.75 misevaluation regardless of hash size and number of cores.

But with an incorrect license, guess what you get instead of the normal piece-square-tables? A total garbage.

Quite clever copy-protection scheme...
marijan

Post by marijan »

How come on my rating list Houdini is at top??? List posted here...Don t need and don t want to explain myself... For smart people thats enough.... No disrespect anybody....
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

rvida wrote: What do you talking about? AFAIK Houdini is perfectly legal. Even if the Houdini project started from some version of (pulic domain) Robbolito/Ivanhoe, that does not mean that everyone can have a free (pirated) copy of it.

If you think that it is "only an Ippolit", you are free to use the vanilla thing, available from various sites (7261 zillion of different compiles at +-6 elo from each other).
Are you saying that stealing others work and placing it in public domain makes the code clean?
rvida

Post by rvida »

mar wrote: Are you saying that stealing others work and placing it in public domain makes the code clean?
Of course not. But if we are talking about Ippolit, it is not a "stolen work of others".
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

rvida wrote:
mar wrote: Are you saying that stealing others work and placing it in public domain makes the code clean?
Of course not. But if we are talking about Ippolit, it is not a "stolen work of others".
Really? Where did it come from and who is responsible for it?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
kranium

Post by kranium »

rvida wrote:
there are many who disagree Richard-

please see:
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1647

apparently, it matches very closely (exactly), line for line, with a Chesslogik release of RobboLito,
which had the 'world famous' (but meaningless?) FSF GPL license attached.
(it's part of the download and conspicuously included in the header of each source file, so it can't be missed)

but, of course you know this already...,
and i'm sure you have seen all the magical word dancing and pompous denials in face of overwhelming evidence.

so i'm really surprised (and disappointed) to see you defending Houdini, which appears to be anything but an 'original engine',
and which is in fact is illegal according to the terms of the GPL...

(that is of course only if one thinks the GPL license means anything at all)
do you?
(i would have thought you would support such measures to protect against blatant plagiarism)

i remember getting banned from here for 1 year for using GPL source code
(and look, what's happened to Vas?)

then why (or how on earth) is Houdini OK?
because it's strong...he gets an exemption, a free pass?
kranium

Post by kranium »

rvida wrote:
bob wrote: I can't get my head around THAT concept. A pirated license for a program that is a copy of another program?
What do you talking about? AFAIK Houdini is perfectly legal. Even if the Houdini project started from some version of (pulic domain) Robbolito/Ivanhoe, that does not mean that everyone can have a free (pirated) copy of it.
Herein lies the crux of the issue...
from what source code did 'the Houdini project start' ?
it it becoming increasing clear that it wasn't from a 'public domain' release

there is 'evidence' that it started from my and Sentinels GPL'd releases...(see link above)
http://www.chesslogik.com/robbolito.htm

(we did substantial work on this source code, big improvements...and tried to do the right thing and protect it from abuse)
are our efforts to be simply disregarded....?
because?

a lesson about accountability and forthrightness...was mercilessly drilled home to me by Bob H., and many of the members here...
(i'm still ostracized/villianized to this day, even though i did the right thing, with no lies, smoke-screen, denials, etc.)

why are Vas and Robert H. being excluded from these 'standards'?
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

kranium wrote:
rvida wrote:
there are many who disagree Richard-

please see:
http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1647

apparently, it matches very closely (exactly), line for line, with a Chesslogik release of RobboLito,
which had the 'world famous' (but meaningless?) FSF GPL license attached.
(it's part of the download and conspicuously included in the header of each source file, so it can't be missed)

but, of course you know this already...,
and i'm sure you have seen all the magical word dancing and pompous denials in face of overwhelming evidence.

so i'm really surprised (and disappointed) to see you defending Houdini, which appears to be anything but an 'original engine',
and which is in fact is illegal according to the terms of the GPL...

(that is of course only if one thinks the GPL license means anything at all)
do you?
(i would have thought you would support such measures to protect against blatant plagiarism)

i remember getting banned from here for 1 year for using GPL source code
(and look, what's happened to Vas?)

then why (or how on earth) is Houdini OK?
because it's strong...he gets an exemption, a free pass?
Then go and sue R. Houdart, and win the case. Until then, Houdini is a legal commercial engine.

Kai