A Request to Richard Vida

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Izak Pretorius

A Request to Richard Vida

Post by Izak Pretorius »

Hi Richard

My name is Izak (Peterpan) from immortal forum.Some of my friends there has suggested i compile your Critter 1.4 source.So i would hope you would send it to me.I would of course keep the source private and no one else will get their hands on it.And you can make the rules you want and if i agree to them them you can send it.

But i understand this is not something you would do likely,so i really understand if you will just say no or even ignore the message.

Anyway,i have asked :)

Best Regards
Izak
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: A Request to Richard Vida

Post by JuLieN »

What if they were to ask you to compile Komodo, Rybka, Shredder or Fritz? ^^
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Izak Pretorius

Post by Izak Pretorius »

JuLieN wrote:What if they were to ask you to compile Komodo, Rybka, Shredder or Fritz? ^^
Hi Lulien

Well that depends on who "they" are or perhaps not even ;)

If the authors of these chess engines you mention asks me to compile i may consider it perhaps,but since these are commercial chess engines i most probably will decline anyway.

But since these are commercial chess engines i don't really see this happening.And if you send me the source code of one of above mentioned chess engines i would NOT compile it :)

Best Regards
Izak
gerold

Post by gerold »

Izak Pretorius wrote:Hi Richard

My name is Izak (Peterpan) from immortal forum.Some of my friends there has suggested i compile your Critter 1.4 source.So i would hope you would send it to me.I would of course keep the source private and no one else will get their hands on it.And you can make the rules you want and if i agree to them them you can send it.

But i understand this is not something you would do likely,so i really understand if you will just say no or even ignore the message.

Best Regards
Izak
Plus one. :)
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

:wink:
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

LOL
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.
rvida

Post by rvida »

Izak Pretorius wrote:Some of my friends there has suggested i compile your Critter 1.4 source.
What they think would be the benefit of another binary? I feel a bit offended by people thinking I can not produce a decent binary from my sources. I think your MSVC/GCC/whatever is just as good as mine (unless you are a GCC developer ;))
Don

Post by Don »

rvida wrote:
Izak Pretorius wrote:Some of my friends there has suggested i compile your Critter 1.4 source.
What they think would be the benefit of another binary? I feel a bit offended by people thinking I can not produce a decent binary from my sources. I think your MSVC/GCC/whatever is just as good as mine (unless you are a GCC developer ;))
My compiler is better than your compiler :lol:
geots

Post by geots »

rvida wrote:

Richard, it may make things worse than better. But I will step up to the plate and vouch for Izak. They have worried him to death to ask you- so he said he would. You have to understand- compile is a bit misleading for what he does. Oh, he compiles it- but that is not all you get. I have run matches between his and Franklin's compiles of the 47 and 46 Ivanhoe versions. All they receive is a modified source code. It is either 10 or 12 I have compared , and Izak's are 14 to 70 elo stronger in each and every one. No exceptions. I have no idea what he does.

I will vouch 100% for his honesty. He would cut his own throat before doing you wrong. Like I said- I am standing up for him. Past that, I don't have a horse in this race.

Best regards,

george

PS: The matches I ran were ag. common opponents- Rybka, Komodo, Stockfish, and Fritz 13. I would never run them ag. each other. That is an utter waste of time and tells me nothing.
Don

Post by Don »

Izak Pretorius wrote:Hi Richard

Best Regards
Izak
Unless a developer really screws up the compile, it's not likely that you will get anything more than just a minor tweak if even that.