Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

Re: Even worse

Post by michiguel »

bob wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
bob wrote:
JuLieN wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0

:roll: :wink:
"They want to save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." :lol:

BTW guys, this thread has not much to do with programming... So if someone complains I'll have to move it to CTF.

???????

This is FAR closer to chess programming than to CTF topics.

I mean, we DO use computers, the O/S is important, the tools are important, availability/compatibility is important. Etc...
And the "Apple is evil/Apple is great" "fan/hate-boys" wars that one can read all along teenagers fora has a lot to do with chess programming, for sure. ;)
The best moderation is "no moderation". So what if it includes a little jibe at apple here and there? There is information content that is useful...
I don't want to speak for another moderator, (I am not) so my comment is very general:

One way to have "no moderation" is to prevent. So, once in a while, if a moderator sends a hint of something, it is because, maybe... the intention is actually "not" moderating. wink, wink.

Miguel
sje

What to expect soon

Post by sje »

What to expect soon:

You: "I want to program this chess application."

Apple: "Okay, first we need money for a machine, an OS, and tools."

You: "Okay. here's some cash and quite a lot, too."

Apple: "And you have to approve all of these end-user agreements."

You "Er, all right."

Apple: "Oh, and we need US$99 every year as well, along with some personal identifying data."

You: "Uh, well I guess that's reasonable."

[Some months later after much hard work]

You: "I've got a beta ready and I want a bunch of my friends to test it."

Apple: "Not so fast, they all also have to approve our agreements."

You: "Alright, but some might not like it."

Apple: "Tough crap, it's either my way or the highway."

{More months go by]

You: "I'm finished with the first deliverable version."

Apple: "First, you have to sign some more agreements if you want to go commercial -- even if you want to give away your application for free."

You: "Okay, I'll sign if there isn't any other way."

Apple "and will need time to approve ou application. This may take several months."

[More time goes by]

You: " Are you ready?"

Apple: "No, you have to make some changes and repeat, likely several times."

[More time goes by]

You: " It looks like it's finally ready to ship."

Apple: Yes, but we want 30% of all revenues before taxes, including any secondary subscription income. Also, you are prohibited from making any money with this without giving us a cut."

You: "30% !!! What do you do to deserve this kind of a commission? That's five times what a real estate agent makes, and they do much more work to earn it. Ten percent is plenty generous, so let's use that figure instead."

Apple: "Tough crap,buddy. Take it or leave it."
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: What to expect soon

Post by phhnguyen »

sje wrote:What to expect soon:

You: "I want to program this chess application."

Apple: "Okay, first we need money for a machine, an OS, and tools."

You: "Okay. here's some cash and quite a lot, too."

Apple: "And you have to approve all of these end-user agreements."

You "Er, all right."

Apple: "Oh, and we need US$99 every year as well, along with some personal identifying data."

You: "Uh, well I guess that's reasonable."

[Some months later after much hard work]

You: "I've got a beta ready and I want a bunch of my friends to test it."

Apple: "Not so fast, they all also have to approve our agreements."

You: "Alright, but some might not like it."

Apple: "Tough crap, it's either my way or the highway."

{More months go by]

You: "I'm finished with the first deliverable version."

Apple: "First, you have to sign some more agreements if you want to go commercial -- even if you want to give away your application for free."

You: "Okay, I'll sign if there isn't any other way."

Apple "and will need time to approve ou application. This may take several months."

[More time goes by]

You: " Are you ready?"

Apple: "No, you have to make some changes and repeat, likely several times."

[More time goes by]

You: " It looks like it's finally ready to ship."

Apple: Yes, but we want 30% of all revenues before taxes, including any secondary subscription income. Also, you are prohibited from making any money with this without giving us a cut."

You: "30% !!! What do you do to deserve this kind of a commission? That's five times what a real estate agent makes, and they do much more work to earn it. Ten percent is plenty generous, so let's use that figure instead."

Apple: "Tough crap,buddy. Take it or leave it."
You: there is no free nor freedom with your OS X

Apple: Are you sure you are talking about OS X? So far, what you discuss to me is IOS and IPhone, not Mac, not OS X nor X11 ;)
sje

Re: What to expect soon

Post by sje »

phhnguyen wrote:You: there is no free nor freedom with your OS X

Apple: Are you sure you are talking about OS X? So far, what you discuss to me is IOS and IPhone, not Mac, not OS X nor X11 ;)
In OS/X 10.8, it's now called "OS/X" and not "Mac OS/X". If you read up on the new "Gate Keeper" feature, you'll see that all of what I've written is coming true.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Post by zullil »

sje wrote:Apple is dropping support for X11 in their upcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion release. Replacing X11 will be the open source project XQuartz. (Quartz is the name of the underlying graphics engine in OS X.)
This is a good thing. Folks who use X11 apps under OS X (like me) have likely been using XQuartz for several years already. It is far better supported and maintained than the X11 bundled with OS X. The XQuartz project is primarily supported by a fellow named Jeremy Huddleston, who works for Apple (at least I think so, since he has an apple.com email address). Not only is Jeremy an X11 expert, he's also terrific at handling user's questions and offering correct answers in a prompt manner.

If you use X11 under OS X, I urge you to immediately switch to XQuartz. The latest release just appeared---XQuartz-2.7.1. In fact, I'm just about to update.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

JuLieN wrote:
bob wrote:
JuLieN wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0

:roll: :wink:
"They want to save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." :lol:

BTW guys, this thread has not much to do with programming... So if someone complains I'll have to move it to CTF.

???????

This is FAR closer to chess programming than to CTF topics.

I mean, we DO use computers, the O/S is important, the tools are important, availability/compatibility is important. Etc...
And the "Apple is evil/Apple is great" "fan/hate-boys" wars that one can read all along teenagers fora has a lot to do with chess programming, for sure. ;)
Oh no... The issues at stake have to do with software patent, and corporate monopolies. Far beyond the reach of a teenager fan-boy's mind...

To summarize:
you, and apple fans in general
look at this beautiful apple, it's so cute :D
me, and anyone who understands and defends feedom respective software (logiciel libre)
Fool! Do not touch it, for it is the poisonous apple of the garden of Eden...
And as for Mr. Jobs' legacy
http://techrights.org/2011/10/23/steve-jobs-exposed/
Don't get me wrong, it's not Apple only, Microsoft is a patent terrorist toom and there are many others. One of the noted exception is Google however.
Evert

Post by Evert »

lucasart wrote:you, and apple fans in general
look at this beautiful apple, it's so cute :D
me, and anyone who understands and defends feedom respective software (logiciel libre)
Fool! Do not touch it, for it is the poisonous apple of the garden of Eden...
I find your tone and implication ("you're not smart enough to realise that I'm right") highly inappropriate.
sje

Re: Apple is dropping X11 in upcoming OS X 10.8

Post by sje »

hgm wrote:Well, we soon might have a native Cocoa port of it, called OSXBoard. So who cares...
I have switched to Linux for running Symbolic as a bot on ICC. So far and over several days, there have been no xboard segfaults. Compare this to the three or four xboard segfaults which occurred during the two day CCT 14 when using a Mac.

While I won't be junking my Apple hardware, I also won't be writing any more Apple specific software. I will not support Apple's walled garden jail, and I don't think anyone else should either.