NEWS: FinalGen chess endgame tablebase generator.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Andres Valverde

Re: NEWS: FinalGen chess endgame tablebase generator.

Post by Andres Valverde »

I tried :

[D]8/4k3/r4pp1/pR6/P4KP1/5P2/8/8 b - - 0 1

And it tells it needs 2TB and 96 GB of disk space ?!
Saludos, Andres
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

Ignacio wrote:Is the software free of malware? After installing, Panda Antivirus says virus: Trj/CI.A
The executable might be packed with something like MPress, which can occasionally trigger spurious AV alerts.
There are two types of people in the world: Avoid them both.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Ignacio wrote: BTW: Any know other end game tools, like endgamne browser nalimov (or gaviota) bases
Long time ago there existed a program called "Wilhelm' which had many functions for endgame tables, but I doubt you'll still find a link for it (it was on geocities which has been closed a few years ago).

For analysing 3-6 men positions you can also use my engine ChestUCI - although it's usually a matesolver I've also included a special mode 'EgtbAnalysis' that shows you the complete solution for such endgame positions (of course only if you have installed the needed Nalimov-EGTBs).

Franz
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello,

I do have the program Wilhelm as a .zip file in storage on my harddisk but I can't remember exactly where I found it. I don't see a link anymore in my own favorites so it might have been as Franz says on Geocities. Maybe I found it on the Wayback machine. If so it might still be there. My copy is from 28-10-2009. If nobody can find a more official link I can put it up as an attachment somewhere?

Wait, I found somebody already posted a link, to the latest version on Mediafire here in this thread and a page and file (version 1.49 I presume, which Charles says is not quite the latest) are also still available indeed on the Wayback machine. The link to that Wayback Geocities archived page is also in the same thread. That topic is where I think I downloaded my copy from also.

Regards, Eelco
Last edited by Eelco de Groot on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Wilhelm 1.50 by Mr. Rafael B. Andrist

Post by Sylwy »

F.Huber wrote:
Ignacio wrote: BTW: Any know other end game tools, like endgamne browser nalimov (or gaviota) bases
Long time ago there existed a program called "Wilhelm' which had many functions for endgame tables, but I doubt you'll still find a link for it (it was on geocities which has been closed a few years ago).

For analysing 3-6 men positions you can also use my engine ChestUCI - although it's usually a matesolver I've also included a special mode 'EgtbAnalysis' that shows you the complete solution for such endgame positions (of course only if you have installed the needed Nalimov-EGTBs).

Franz

OK , Herr Silvian being the master of Romanian Computer Chess Encyclopædia will make a donation for everybody here :

Wilhelm 1.50 engine of Mr . Rafael B Andrist

http://web.archive.org/web/200902230947 ... nglish.htm

Wilhelm 1.50 is the good engine here !!!!

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Some infos

Post by Sylwy »

SilvianR :wink:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Ignacio wrote:Is the software free of malware? After installing, Panda Antivirus says virus: Trj/CI.A
Get rid of Panda...I have used it in the past...false positives and even deletion of crucial files can occur.
Terry McCracken
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

F.Huber wrote:

Franz

Great!! I read the manual looks fantastic. Tomorrow will instal in the only windows notebook I have. Thanks.

BTW, SCIDvsPC has a nice tool too. More simple tham this one but very instructive to learn endgames positions.

Thanks all for links and screenshots etc! :)

Whillhem + FinalGen + Scidvs PC combined: endagame fan dream!!
Ignacio
Arpad Rusz

Post by Arpad Rusz »

I was curious if FinalGen solves the famous "Szén position" (which is a win for White) and some other similar positions:

1.Carrera (1617) and Szén (1840)
[D]4k3/5ppp/8/8/8/8/PPP5/3K4 w - - 0 1

2.Greco (1621)
[D]4k3/5ppp/8/8/8/8/PPP5/4K3 w - - 0 1

The first endgame is unsolvable with FinalGen, but it proves the win for White in the second position. The problem with the first one is that the win involves the following position which is unsolvable by the software:

1a.
[D]8/8/8/PkP5/1P4p1/5pKp/8/8 b - - 0 15

15...h2!? 16.Kh2 Kc4! 17.c6 Kd3 18.c7 f2 19.c8Q. Now White is winning (19...f1Q 20.Qa6+ +-) but this position cannot be evaluated by the program.

The next position is very easy to solve but I think it shows an original positional draw:
3.Rusz (2012)
[D]8/6p1/8/k1P5/5p1p/8/PP4K1/8 w - - 0 1
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hello:

I was browsing in CCRL Endgame Tablebases Forum, when I read this topic:

7 8 or more pieces tablebase generator

According to the author (Pedro Pérez Moreno), this tool (which reminds me to Freezer) was developped in the last four years. It can be downloaded for free from this URL:

http://www.mtu-media.com/finalgen

The web is well documented with a tutorial and some examples. The downloaded file is an installer, and once installed, FinalGen is translated into English, French and Spanish.

IMPORTANT:
However, you cannot give the castling status.

Remark: Tablebases assume that castling is not possible for two reasons:
First, in practical endgames, this assumption is almost always correct. However, castling is allowed by convention in composed problems and studies.

Second, if the king and rook are on their original squares, castling may or may not be allowed. Because of this ambiguity, it would be necessary to make separate evaluations for states in which castling is or is not possible.

The same ambiguity exists for the en passant capture, since the possibility of en passant depends on the opponent's previous move. However, practical applications of en passant occur frequently in pawn endgames, so tablebases account for the possibility of en passant for positions where both sides have at least one pawn.
This new tool seems interesting to me, although good hardware and nice amounts of time are required. I will not use it, but I post this release here because I know that some people will find it useful.

@Moderation team: I do not know if this is the best subforum for this thread. Please feel free of move it if necessary.

As a side note: the name of the tool may be overlooked for a non-Spanish speaker: Final means End; applied to chess, Final means Endgame. Gen are the first letters of Generador ('Generator' in English). So, FinalGen can be translated as Endgame Generator. Enjoy this new endgame tablebase generator!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Thank-you very much. This software is amazing!