open source battle IvanHoe v Stockfish at long time-control

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Re: open source battle IvanHoe v Stockfish at long time-cont

Post by Jouni »

I have feeling 200 games was overkill. In first 100 games SF won 52-48 and last 100 it won 50,5-49,5. Did it give any new information to us, I doubt..
Jouni
gerold

Post by gerold »

PawnStormZ wrote:  
                 Standings after game 200

Stockfish 2.2.2 JA SSE42    102.5    + 34    = 137    - 29
                       IvanHoe999946h                 97.5    + 29    = 137    - 34

Thanks for your time and work Pal. Some nice games to look at.
My 500 games at 5/3 with the latest 32 bit versions came out
about the same.

These two engines must be twins. :-).

What have you got lined up for the next round of games.

Best to you,
Gerold.
PawnStormZ

open source battle IvanHoe v Stockfish at long time-cont

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi George

You have mentioned several times about this not being the "best" or "strongest " IvanHoe version.  Please post the link here (no e-mail, no pms) to the "strongest" Ivan engine version, and I will be sure to use it in my next match.

This match is now finished, so you will not need to look at it on page 1 for too much longer.   :wink:

Take care 

PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Jouni

I thought that the 200 games was just a better "sample size".  At 1 point SF was up by 9 points so the longer time allowed them to even out a bit.  With only 5 points separating them after 200 games, I wonder what the rating difference is?

Take care  

PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Gerold

Glad that you enjoyed the match.  Along the lines of what you said about your similar result between these 2 at shorter time,  there is much talk about "scaling" and how different time controls favor different engines.

I was thinking about playing a RR of 6 or so of the top free engines at maybe game in 2 min plus 1 sec per move, followed by the same group, with the same openings, at the long control.  Then we could see if there are any big differences on the same pc, under the exact same conditions, except for the time.

Does anyone have an idea of how many games need to be played with 6 engines to give a "decent" sample size?  Of course at the short control 1,000 games is not a problem, but George (and others?) would have my head if I tried to post 1K long games!     :)

Take care

PawnStormZ

open source battle IvanHoe v Stockfish at long time-control

Post by PawnStormZ »

The 200 games are available here...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9efabfcb.html

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

PawnStormZ wrote:  
               The 200 games are available here...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9efabfcb.html

Thanks !
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

gerold

Post by gerold »

PawnStormZ wrote:                Hi Gerold

Glad that you enjoyed the match.  Along the lines of what you said about your similar result between these 2 at shorter time,  there is much talk about "scaling" and how different time controls favor different engines.

I was thinking about playing a RR of 6 or so of the top free engines at maybe game in 2 min plus 1 sec per move, followed by the same group, with the same openings, at the long control.  Then we could see if there are any big differences on the same pc, under the exact same conditions, except for the time.

Does anyone have an idea of how many games need to be played with 6 engines to give a "decent" sample size?  Of course at the short control 1,000 games is not a problem, but George (and others?) would have my head if I tried to post 1K long games!     :)

Take care

Thanks for the reply Pal.
Be looking forward to the next games you play.
At the short control would be nice to have 2k-3k games.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. Note the number of hits you had on these games. Nice.
geots

Post by geots »

PawnStormZ wrote:                Hi George

You have mentioned several times about this not being the "best" or "strongest " IvanHoe version.  Please post the link here (no e-mail, no pms) to the "strongest" Ivan engine version, and I will be sure to use it in my next match.

This match is now finished, so you will not need to look at it on page 1 for too much longer.   :wink:

Take care 

Look, pal what I am saying is no surprise on Immortal- rather just common knowledge. I will just mention a few that can demolish competition that 9.46h cannot.

Ivanhoe B47f0.2
T52E
B46e
9.47cWHB
B47d
B47e
46h

pal- I could name 4 or 5 more, but what's the point. I tested them all ag. same opponents (Rybka, Stockfish, Komodo, Critter, Fritz 13) more than once. 9.46h compared to the ones above and 4 or 5 more- is relatively not very strong. What can I say.

I don't mean at all to be ugly when I say this: it's your tournament. If I was running a version and 10 more were stronger- I would hope someone was nice enough to point that out to me- for sure. But that does not include me to then expect the person who told me that to go running around finding all the versions for me.

Best,

george