Parallelization questions, ABDADA or DTS?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BeRo

Re: Parallelization questions, ABDADA or DTS?

Post by BeRo »

Okay so, I've implemented YWBC (including helpful master concept and shared global transposition table) in my engine now.

I'm getting now, if parallel-threaded between 3000k and 4000k nodes per second on my Intel i7 2630QM 2 GHz quadcore (8 CPU threads because with hypertheading and with 2.9 GHz TurboBoost, if only core is used) notebook, and if non-parallel between 1000k and 2000k nodes per second.

I'll test it tomorrow or so also on my AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2 GHz hexacore (without hyperthreading, so real 6 cores then and with 3.8 GHz TurboBoost, if only one core is used) desktop computer.

It's a small but already nice performance increase for my engine, but I think, that I must still profiling my code and optimizing the main biggest bottlenecks of the code.
diep

Re: Parallelization questions, ABDADA or DTS?

Post by diep »

BeRo wrote:Okay so, I've implemented YWBC (including helpful master concept and shared global transposition table) in my engine now.

I'm getting now, if parallel-threaded between 3000k and 4000k nodes per second on my Intel i7 2630QM 2 GHz quadcore (8 CPU threads because with hypertheading and with 2.9 GHz TurboBoost, if only core is used) notebook, and if non-parallel between 1000k and 2000k nodes per second.

I'll test it tomorrow or so also on my AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2 GHz hexacore (without hyperthreading, so real 6 cores then and with 3.8 GHz TurboBoost, if only one core is used) desktop computer.

It's a small but already nice performance increase for my engine, but I think, that I must still profiling my code and optimizing the main biggest bottlenecks of the code.
What speedup do you see of 8 over 1?
(both scaling as well as speedup)

maybe want to turn off turboboost to measure that...