NEWS: FinalGen chess endgame tablebase generator.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: THANK YOU GENERALISSIMO !!!

Post by Sylwy »

fern wrote: 1.-You are an incredible nice guy, Ruxy.
2.-If you only let me know the girl in your avatar.

Yum yum regards
Fern
1.- A fantastic compliment - for me - coming from Mr. Fernando Villegas Darrouy !

THANK YOU GRANDE MAESTRO !

2.- Memorias de un amnésico :lol:

OK , just for you (only for you ) Generslissimo:

Buenos dias Grande Maestro !

SilvianR :wink:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re:The readme .pdf of Wilhelm 1.50 in English !

Post by Sylwy »

Hi all !

http://web.archive.org/web/200610060013 ... 8En%29.pdf

Have a nice weekend !

SilvianR :wink:
pPerez

Hi

Post by pPerez »

Hi

I'm new to this site. I have developped this software because I wanted to learn chess. As Capablanca said, endgames should be studied before middlegames and openings. And I fully agree.

My approach was : OK I have not a lot of time to do that, so I will let a software analyze the endgames for me, and I will memorize the positions and 2 o 3 key variations. In practice, this will be enough.

I didn’t find that software. Engines are not reliable and Nalimov databases cannot solve endgames with more than 6 pieces. So I decided to develop this tool.

FinaGen has 2 restrictions :
- You can only analyze endgames with up to one piece per side. For example, a position like KBB vs KNB cannot be solved. Any number of pawns is allowed, unless the position is too complex.

- Not all positions can be solved. Sometimes a position is partially solved, showing a result like “Black does not lose”, which means that Black can at least force a draw.
One of the tests consisted of comparing results from Nalimov database to FinalGen ones. All positions with one piece or less per side were compared. The result was the following one

Total positions compared = 1.59955E+13
Not solved = 3.72744E+11
Partially solved = 2904408188
Solved solution rate = 97.6515356%

This takes in account also illegal positions, which represent about 30% of the total, so we can conclude that unsolvable positions are less than 5%.

The “search for draw” mode can be very very fast but leads to a greater number of unsolved positions. In addition, it cannot determine a win, only draws.

In the next message, I will try to explain the reasons for such restrictions.
Despite these limitations, the program remains interesting because of its performance, compared to other generators.

Regarding the virus alert, this has been fixed and the current version is safe. As you can see in my Website, false positives are still there for some antivirus but this will be fixed soon.

Jouni , the “unexpected error” you got has been caused because the antivirus removed some dll’s and the program could not work properly.

Regards
Pedro Pérez Romero
pPerez

Re: NEWS: FinalGen has been reuploaded!

Post by pPerez »

Hi again,

How does FinalGen work? Let’s show an example:

[D]3k4/8/PpK5/1Pp3p1/2P3P1/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

What is the best way to win for White?
A human player or even a chess program would play 1. a7 and force a checkmate easily with both the queen and the king.

An endgame generator does not proceed in this way. These programs do not have any intelligence, and must build all the positions resulting from the initial position (by retrograde analysis), including promotions. Black can also promote, and minor promotions can occur.
For example, to solve the above position, the endgames generators must solve the following positions first:
[D]Q7/4k3/2K5/8/8/1q6/8/2q3q1 w - - 0 1
[D]Q7/5k2/2K3N1/8/3r4/1q6/8/8 w - - 0 1

That is, it must generate a complete 6-men pawnless database to solve a simple pawn endgame which can be easily won. In fact, it must generate more positions than the whole complete Nalimov 6-men tablebase currently available.
Don’t you believe me? I can guarantee that it is true. :D

FinalGen can generate the tablebase in a few hours. It promotes a pawn only once, and sets a win result if white can force a win with only one promotion, this is faster than generating the complete Nalimov tablebase set.

FinaGen uses other heuristics to determine draws but all of them are based on the same idea. We reduce the number of positions after a promotion to make the process faster, because only a few positions are needed from the astronomical total.

Why may some positions not be solved?

Because they are “out of heuristics”, FinalGen can not determine the result from these few positions (“ a few” here means millions, billions or trillions, depending on the position). These unsolvable positions are discarded and flagged as “not available”.

That occurs in the example below:
[D]8/6K1/8/5PPP/p7/1k6/8/8 w - - 0 1

White and Black promote simultaneously, and after that, White can win by promoting a second pawn.
Here White needs 2 promotions, not one, to win, so the algorithm does not find the win.

However, those positions can be solved if the winning side can force checkmate or a queen exchange just after the promotion. For instance, the following endgame can be solved.
[D]8/8/8/1p2KP2/5P2/2k5/8/8 b - - 0 15

1... b4 2. f6 b3 3. f7 b2 4. f8=Q b1=Q 5. Qc5+ Kd2 6. Qf2+ Kc3 7. Qd4+ exchanges queens and wins.

So not all the possibilities are explored. This is why the way to win may not be the shortest one (for example, Nalimov can show mate in 10 where FinalGen has found a checkmate in 12).

And finally, why the “one piece per side” limitation? This is due to memory RAM requirements. Each additional piece would multiply the required RAM memory by 64, so I had decided to work only with 2 pieces + pawns. The source code has been specifically designed for 2 or less pieces and cannot be adapted. For more pieces, the whole program should be re-designed.

I hope these explanations have been useful to you.

Best Regards.

Pedro Pérez Romero
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I see no advantage of FinalGen relative to normal chess programs in the relevant positions of the last post.

Houdini1.5 with no tablebases can see forced mate in the first diagram and the last diagram
so it also can solve them.
pPerez

Post by pPerez »

I have intentionally presented an example which is very easy to solve for a human or a chess computer and very difficult for a endgame generator.

My intention here was to compare FinalGen with other tablebase generators and describe how it works.

If my intention were to compare FinalGen to chess programs, I would rather present the following position.

[D]3k4/8/b7/1p6/p7/2K5/p7/3B4 w - - 0 22

FinalGen says that this is a draw. And what about Houdini? :wink:
Arpad Rusz

Post by Arpad Rusz »

Some feature requests for FinalGen:

1.It would be useful to have the moves listed even when the value of the position is "Not available".
That way one can easily spot which move from the movelist leads to an unsolvable position (which maybe it is trivial to solve by other means).

2.It is enough to have piece buttons (K, Q, R, B, N, P) only for white.
E.g. one click on the board places a white piece, a double click places a black one, and a click with the right mouse button deletes the square. This way one can setup a position more quickly.

3.I would like to have visible both the WTM and BTM movelists and values in the same time. So no "White to move" and "Black to move" radio buttons...
duncan

Re: Hi

Post by duncan »

pPerez wrote:
I tried out this position as I was interested in how many months/years it would take
[D]4k3/2pppppp/8/8/8/8/2PPPPPP/4K3 w - - 0 1

and the program said 'this position is too complex'. is that a limitation of the software or my computer ?
duncan

Post by duncan »

I tried using the software for a rook against 5 pawns, to see whether it would be a draw. the following position should be a draw and it was.

[D]4k3/4r3/8/8/8/8/PPPPP3/4K3 w - - 0 1

there seems to be 3 conditions for white to win

(1)you need at least 2 pawns on the third rank (although only certain combinations)
(2)and the black king has to be on rank 8
(3)and the rook opposite a white pawn

so the following wins a queen in 27 moves

[D]4k3/4r3/8/8/8/1P1P4/P1PKP3/8 w - - 0 1

critter realises quite soon that white is ahead but after 5 hours is no where near finding the win
30/69 5:32:00 43,981,209,601 2,207,842 +1.35 c2-c4 Re7-b7 e2-e4 Ke8-d8 Kd2-c3 Rb7-f7 a2-a4 Rf7-f1 a4-a5 Rf1-c1+ Kc3-b2 Rc1-d1 Kb2-c2 Rd1-a1 b3-b4 Kd8-d7 Kc2-c3 Kd7-c8 Kc3-d4 Ra1-a3 c4-c5 Kc8-c7 e4-e5 Ra3-a1 e5-e6 Ra1-b1 Kd4-c4 Kc7-c6 a5-a6 Rb1-c1+ Kc4-b3 Rc1-b1+ Kb3-c3 Rb1-c1+ Kc3-b2 Rc1-e1 b4-b5+ Kc6-c7 Kb2-b3 Kc7-b8 b5-b6 Re1xe6 d3-d4 Re6-e3+ Kb3-c4 Re3-a3 a6-a7+ Kb8-a8 d4-d5 Ra3-a1 Kc4-d4 Ra1-a4+ Kd4-d3 Ra4-a5 Kd3-c4 Ra5-a1

the next 2 are draws as they violate one of the last 2 conditions

[D]4r3/4k3/8/8/8/1P1P4/P1PKP3/8 w - - 0 1
[D]4k3/6r1/8/8/8/1P1P4/P1PKP3/8 w - - 0 1
pPerez

Post by pPerez »

The software performs a "pre-analysis", which converts the initial position into smaller pieces, and calculates the total number of positions and the required storage space.

When the position is too complex to be pre-analysed, a message is displayed.
It is not caused by a particular hardware limitation of your system. The software will behave the same way on any desktop.