Komodo release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ron Langeveld

Re: Komodo release

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Dear Don,

A while ago when I spotted your new Avatar you put a smile on my face. This was an image of a dinosaur with a very positive feeling, far from being extinct. Now I read this announcement and the news about your condition is a shock to me. I wish you all the strength and energy to fight and overcome this disease. It’s good though to also read you keep a healthy perspective about computer chess and the more important things in life. For what it’s worth: I have always been a fan of Komodo from the moment you and Larry started with Doch. It has been a big help and a major inspiration in becoming ICCF World Champion last year. I hope I will be able to recommend it for many more years as a must-have for the ambitious correspondence player.

Ron Langeveld
chetday

Post by chetday »

Don, I've enjoyed reading all your posts and have learned a great deal about computer programming and critical thinking from your writing. I've also had a great deal of pleasure watching and playing with both Komodo 4 and Komodo 5. Thank you for always sharing so much of yourself and your thinking. Wishing you the best with the attack you're working to counter in your middle game from Mr. Leukemia. With a spirit as giving and strong as yours, I don't see an end game in sight. Indeed, I predict a victory with a strong g4 move from you at some point.
fern

Post by fern »

My dear D0n:
Perhaps you will not believe this or you will think I am joking, BUT as a matter of fact i have proved to myself and others that I have, how can I say it, some curative power at distance. I had a friend in France that was really in the very extreme and I did my stuff and he got well. Same with the father of my editor in random. And some other cases.
Do not ask me how it works and why, I do not know, it is just there embedded in me as there are people that can see remote things or ...well, all that cases that has been studied to this day by some scientists.
So....
I will send to you what I call -for myself- my "rays".
I know many guys here, if they read this post, will believe I am making fun of this or that I got stupid. Maybe you yourself will think that.
It does not matter.

You will feel it.

Fern
carlone

Post by carlone »

Wishing you all the best.

Much respect,
Carlo
Leto

Post by Leto »

I'm hoping you can recover Don.
Macumba

Post by Macumba »

[b][quote="Don"]We plan a release of Komodo 6 on Friday.

I'm losing this battle.
Don[/quote][/b]

That has touched me. :( I know what you mean.

A very important relative fought against that abomination.

Keep it hard and be very positive in your spirit. It helps.

Life is more important that this crazy computer world.

My best forces for you.

Kind regards, Arturo Ochoa.
gordonr

Post by gordonr »

Don,

It was sad to read your news but never lose hope.

Komodo would indeed be a worthy number 1 and I hope it does. But if it doesn't happen, it will just be like when I play through Rubinstein's masterpieces. Playing beautiful chess isn't the sole property of a single best player. In this respect, Komodo has already earned its place in chess computing history. I follow its great analysis and play with admiration and pleasure... thank you for this amazing piece of software.

Wishing you well,
Gordon
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Don, I wish you the best recovery possible.

Medicine is progressing and there´s no disease that can´t be beat. We, neurologists, believe that the cure is somewhere inside our minds.

As for your Komodo engine, I think it is a great project and a great contribution to computer chess history.

Best regards,
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Don,

hard to read about yourself. My English isn't good enough for find the right words but I think what my English teacher Alfred wrote was felicitous.

I lost both of my parents this year in two weeks only. My mother had over 10 years great moments in the time of his disease. She gave me and my sister my daugther the power for our live again and again. My vather can't live with the last moments and go two weeks before after 57 years married.

Now both are conjunct / merge (find not the right word).

Be sure, today the medical have so many possibilities and your family / interest will give you strength.

Friendly
Frank
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Be sure, today the medical have so many possibilities
But one still needs a bit of energy left, not taken up with pain or anxiety, but available for practical presence of mind for phone calls and visits to other doctors etc. AND it also helps alot to have supporting friendly people (e.g. family) around, who, even if they don't know how to research things, but take away some of the everyday burdens from the suffering patient.

With all the above, one can still find out and make use of possibilities how to save oneself. But if a person is already too weak or in pain and can hardly sit up by a computer screen or hold a phone in hand, then THAT is a problem, no matter how much there is around that might help and cure. Even with helpful people around, the person himself needs to be able to communicate enough to get things done.

[oh, and some available cash, too. hopefully not too much is needed, but one may need a good few hundreds of dollars to get around and try a few things, and one needs diplomacy and astuteness to ask the right questions and not get ripped off through careless trusting and wishful thinking]

I haven't been through everything in my own life, nor do i have much wisdom, but what ever i DO have might still be some slight wisdom, and that's what i just felt motivated to write just now.